09136 Walnut Brown (Kickstarter Paint Set 3) -- problem?

walnut brown really is that dark! Here's what it looks like in wash on the left, compared to an artist's acrylic burnt umber on the right:

umber_zps57160053.jpg

I use it as a stand-in for black- it's nice and warm, and covers beautifully!

I just testet reaper's walnut brown, but same issue. It is very dark. Just like on the left. I cannot see anything brown it it.

I don't know if I would buy this color again, but I will try some of the mentioned usages.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just testet reaper's walnut brown, but same issue. It is very dark. Just like on the left. I cannot see anything brown it it.

I don't know if I would buy this color again, but I will try some of the mentioned usages.

As we've been saying, it's a warm black. It's not really used as a brown, except maybe as a darkest shadow on a dark brown. Don't get too caught up in names (do as I say not as I do, heh).

When you apply it in small areas, it looks black. But when I put it on big ol' Ebonwrath, it does indeed look dark brown, like a dark chocolate dragon (mmm). The pic in my WIP thread doesn't really show that, but I've got to get painting it or the fiancee is going to try and eat it.

As far as not buying it again, it's one of my core paints and I use it extensively as a warm black (vs pure black as a cool black...though noir black might move in for that role). Like using linen white instead of pure white. Play around with it some before you cast aside one of the more useful colors.

Edited by CashWiley
  • Like 2