Quick question on paints

Zelkon

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Speaking of craft paint, found some old craft paints in the paints my folks brought me. Had CLEARANCE sale stickers on them with a June '96 date... 5 for 99 cents! =]

Have the 48 paints for $38 posted. Haven't used them, yet.

Have a whole mess of Ral Partha paints, too.

Finally, have 2 of the Bones Kickstarter paint sets.

Not sure what color I am missing. I'll figure it out.

Partha Paints! Buglips is going to be so pleased.

Found this page talking about the cheap acrylics and oils: enjoy!

:blink: Wow, you aren't kidding about "cheap." Yikes, I remember some of those brands. I still have some Liquitex oil paint (and can put in a guess or two as to why it was discontinued).

It's kind of telling that they consider Winsor and Newton oil paints top of the line.

I painted for ages with nothing but Apple Barrel brand craft paints (and a few metallics from other lines). I've seen people get results from anywhere between strictly amateur (as per the OP's "getting some color down") to the reasonably good, and every once in a while someone pulls out something truly spectacular.

The paint elitists around here finally did convince me to switch partially (and soon entirely) to Reaper's MSP line though.

• Like 1

Bones do not require primer. I have painted several now, and have not primed any of them. In place of primer, they require a good washing with dishwashing liquid, to remove any oils on the surface. After that, avoid touching them (I sticky tack them onto an old pill bottle for handling), so that you don't get oils from your hands on the surface. Your first paint coat should also be straight from the bottle (not thinned). If you do all tht, you don't need primer for Bones.

• Like 1

I painted for ages with nothing but Apple Barrel brand craft paints (and a few metallics from other lines). I've seen people get results from anywhere between strictly amateur (as per the OP's "getting some color down") to the reasonably good, and every once in a while someone pulls out something truly spectacular.

The paint elitists around here finally did convince me to switch partially (and soon entirely) to Reaper's MSP line though.

I'm elitist out of love. Although after my craft paint experiment I changed my recommendation opinion from "better" to "way less work". If I tried to use craft paint like mini paint, the extra work and frustration of getting it to behave would see me quit the hobby in a week.

Outside that, craft paint might do in a pinch. But the value gained from easy mixing of mini paint, for my money, easily outweighs the value of craft paint's volume for less.

• Like 1

I gotta agree with Buglips. I began my mini painting with craft paints, I have a lot left (they never seem to run out) but I almost exclusivly use mini paints now because they are so much less work to get to do what you want. That said, I still pull out the craft stuff when I need something specific. there are a couple of colors I have on hand that I still love and while there is probably a near equal mini paint, I don't have it, so I use what I do have. When it comes to bases though, craft paint all the way.

I'm elitist out of love. Although after my craft paint experiment I changed my recommendation opinion from "better" to "way less work". If I tried to use craft paint like mini paint, the extra work and frustration of getting it to behave would see me quit the hobby in a week.

Outside that, craft paint might do in a pinch. But the value gained from easy mixing of mini paint, for my money, easily outweighs the value of craft paint's volume for less.

Oh believe me, I know. I just bought $90 worth of paints; I'm pretty well convinced at this point. The "elitist" jab was delivered with my tongue firmly in cheek, though that may not have come across in type.

I worry I'm an elitist.

I confess, I first came here with an attitude about paints. I had run into a few people on other forums who regularly confused craft paints with artists paints, which bugged me. It didn't take much looking around here to see that there was a lot more going on with miniatures paints than I knew about and that I was as shortsighted in my own way as the people who had irritated me.

I'm trying to learn. I still like artists paints best, but I hope I'm not disparaging about other options.

I do worry about the "e" word, though.

• Like 1

not to worry Pingo. If you get to be too much of an elitist, someone here will bring you back down a few rungs, like DKS or ThatGuy, or if that doesn't work, we'll just lock you in a windowless room with Buglips

I think the main problem might be the lack of vents....

"Have a whole mess of Ral Partha paints, too."
Partha Paints! That brings back memories. In the late 70's I was in junior high, collecting lead minis and painting them with Partha Paints.

Partha miniatures were my favorite as well. Speaking of those days, does anyone remember Polly S paints? Good times.

"Have a whole mess of Ral Partha paints, too."

Partha Paints! That brings back memories. In the late 70's I was in junior high, collecting lead minis and painting them with Partha Paints.

Partha miniatures were my favorite as well. Speaking of those days, does anyone remember Polly S paints? Good times.

Never used Polly S paints, but I saw them in the store.

There's a fun thread about minis from those days here: http://www.reapermini.com/forum/index.php?/topic/45426-doc-is-old/

And Ironwind Metals still sells classic Ral Partha figures here: http://ironwindmetals.com/store/