Sign in to follow this  
bkjohns96

Fire it Up Bones

nice work! I love the base on the large elemental! How did you prep the surface of the minis prior to painting?

All I did was to wash them with soap and water. I used Americana craft paint. I thinned bright orange and let it flow into all of the low parts. Then I used bright yellow at the base of the flames (not thinned). finnally I used yellow/white mix to highlight. The base is sand that I painted burnt orange then dry brushed away from the flame orange then yellow, and dry brushed towards the flame with camel and raw umber. (my son just informed me the that the elementals would just love that wooden building like a camel likes Wednesday)

• Like 5

Brilliant work (see what I did there?)!

Consider this stolen; I need the big guy for a game this weekend and was planning on something similar, but now I have a firm picture in mind. Although I do think I'll include some black at the very tips of the upper flames, give a little smokiness to him.

• Like 3

Brilliant work (see what I did there?)!

Consider this stolen; I need the big guy for a game this weekend and was planning on something similar, but now I have a firm picture in mind. Although I do think I'll include some black at the very tips of the upper flames, give a little smokiness to him.

I completely agree. These models plus a little black are what I wanted to achieve when I painted them. It's nice to have a reference from someone who pulled it off so great.

Jumping on the flaming bandwagon here. Looks great and like the others, will be using your work as a reference.

• Like 1

Fantastic! My son and I tried one of the translucent fire critters and it didn't go so well, but we weren't sure how far to push things (and he's 7). Now we'll give your technique a shot. Thanks!

All I did was to wash them with soap and water. I used Americana craft paint. I thinned bright orange and let it flow into all of the low parts. Then I used bright yellow at the base of the flames (not thinned). finnally I used yellow/white mix to highlight. The base is sand that I painted burnt orange then dry brushed away from the flame orange then yellow, and dry brushed towards the flame with camel and raw umber. (my son just informed me the that the elementals would just love that wooden building like a camel likes Wednesday)

I like the way your son thinks, he's got a good sense of humor.

• Like 2

Since the lightest areas are the deep areas in a fire, I am thinking of applying a yellow wash to these minis. And perhaps a drybrush of a darker red to the tip areas.

These are great minis. I think they need to be made in translucent yellow instead of red.

I would prefer clear translucent and try to paint it with Tamiya clear yellow, orange and red.

• Like 1

These are great minis. I think they need to be made in translucent yellow instead of red.

I would prefer clear translucent and try to paint it with Tamiya clear yellow, orange and red.

Yeah, that'd actually work a lot better than the tinted plastic I think. Gives us the transperancy without the color shifting.