Sign in to follow this  
Werlynn

Spray primer

I tested out some Privateer Press black spray on primer I have on 2 Bones minis that I have. It's been almost a week and they're still sticky and I sometimes get some paint coming off on my hands. Can anyone recommend what I can do to fix the problem? I tried washing them in the sink but nothing changed. Should I use paint thinner? The only paint thinner I have says enamel which I didn't notice when I bought it.

You can probably strip the old primer with Simple Green or Pine Sol.

There is currently a discusion about the bonse reacting with certin primers and finishes here, http://www.reapermini.com/forum/index.php?/topic/50489-primer-and-plastic-interaction/

And here http://www.reapermini.com/forum/index.php?/topic/50501-clearcoats-varnishes-and-bones-minis-results/

There is no need to prime Bones. Just resist the urge. To fix it, try soaking them in Simple Green for a few days and then hit them hard with a tooth brush.

• Like 1

Airbrush. I thought about getting an airbrush just for him, but I decided to torture myself with a #2 and lots of patience instead.

You mean you don't fill your nose with paint and sneeze at it? 'Cause that's totally what you should do.

• Like 3

I really want to use a primer on my bones. I often find on metal minis that a coat of primer (in addition to giving a good base for the paint) lets me see details far better. On the bones minis I really want the same thing. I think the details are even harder to see on them.

Airbrush. I thought about getting an airbrush just for him, but I decided to torture myself with a #2 and lots of patience instead.

You mean you don't fill your nose with paint and sneeze at it? 'Cause that's totally what you should do.

The Army Painter spray primer: Skeleton Bone. That will be my base coat for Kal. Will do a grey for the base that he digs his claws into.

Just a thought. Booger paint is an option as the previous poster noted.

• Like 1

I really want to use a primer on my bones. I often find on metal minis that a coat of primer (in addition to giving a good base for the paint) lets me see details far better. On the bones minis I really want the same thing. I think the details are even harder to see on them.

Go grey if you do. Easier to see what's primed, and it should bring up all the details.

Go grey if you do. Easier to see what's primed, and it should bring up all the details.

So will the Army Painter grey work on the bones then? Be happy using that (and perhaps the bone color for undead dragons).

I don't remember if Army Painter is one of the "good brands" that doesn't go weird with Bones. Hopefully somebody else can clarify that. I'm using brush-on MSP Rainy Gray when I need to find fiddly bits to work on, and it really does the job making everything clear. So if Army Painter is on the good list, it should do likewise.

So will the Army Painter grey work on the bones then? Be happy using that (and perhaps the bone color for undead dragons).

I'm about to try it on some "expendable" minis. Will let you all know tomorrow.

• Like 1

I'm about to try it on some "expendable" minis. Will let you all know tomorrow.

I've seen people say both good and bad. So some more experience on it would be cool. I look forward to your tests!

I've used the Army Painter Necrotic Flesh on Bones without issue. I have some Army Painter White that I'll try tomorrow on a chopped off Bones base to see if it's OK.

• Like 1