When Funded Kickstarters Go Bad.

Darsc Zacal

Thought it might be a good idea to start a list of these as sort of a cautionary reminder to the kickstarter addicts here that there is no sure thing on kickstarter.

I'll start it off with the latest update from the successfully funded "The Doom that came to Atlantic City" game.

I hope none here backed it.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/forkingpath/the-doom-that-came-to-atlantic-city/posts

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't heard of that one. That sucks for the backers. That looks like a project I would totally back too, yikes!

My only bad experience yet is via http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1901693996/combat-kitchenware That's Combat Kitchenware

The pans were supposed to deliver around Dec. James disappeared late April and finally resurfaced July 9. I actually did a search of obituaries in Virginia to check if he died.

Edited by estrus

The worst one I've seen is Katalyka: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1820893788/katalyka

The backer seems convinced that a voice in her head, claiming to be the Sun is actively trying to get her project to fail by stopping her from producing the product. I feel so sorry for the backers, the project creator looks like she needs some form of professional help.

• Like 2

I remember that cookware one, I believe I only found out about it after it was funded, or I likely would have backed it. I had no idea it was having problems since then.

That Katalyka one... I'm not sure if she is trying to lighten the mood, and failing miserably, or if she needs help.

Who is the old school game designer that did something like 3 kickstarters then did an indigogo to try and fund all the money he lost from the first three because he was "bad with money"? I know a few people here backed some of his stuff.

The thing that's got me is a bunch of my friends are all up in arms about this (one has run a few kickstarters himself) but I'm not seeing what happened as anything all that new--especially in the games area so I don't know why people are screaming bloody murder about this, and acting like this is new to kickstarter, outside of maybe Keith Baker being involved somehow.

There is that lockpick set one out there that has had problems as well.

What amazes me, though, is how bad some people were beating up Reaper over their issues, when there are far, far worse KS stories out there. Bottom line is, anyone wanting to do a gaming or miniature Kickstarter should really look at the issues Reaper and these other KS projects have had before jumping in with their own. I expect we'll be seeing a lot more stories like these in the coming year or so.

I was seriously thinking about doing my own KS project a couple months before Reaper did theirs, and the more I researched it, the more I realized things could go horribly wrong in a lot of areas that I just didn't have expertise in. Decided it wasn't worth the stress for me, nor the potential issues holding someone elses money.

• Like 3

Who is the old school game designer that did something like 3 kickstarters then did an indigogo to try and fund all the money he lost from the first three because he was "bad with money"? I know a few people here backed some of his stuff.

that's probably

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2063410154/nystuls-infinite-dungeon/

This was taken over by D3 adventurers who will be fulfilling KS backers for the game books only most of the work on which seems to be done (additional 'bits' like minis/keys/art prints are still to be fulfilled by the original company)

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2063410154/cairn/

This was taken over by another company, but they did not take over the responsibility for the KS pledges (although they did offer backers a free copy of the book when it is printed if they pay the shipping). So bad news there, but

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2063410154/axes-and-anvils/

This one (I backed this) is still with the original company and we should be getting a PDFs soon (a week or two?) and some of the additional bits (eg runestones) look to be coming along too

so overall not ideal for any of the projects, but a lot brighter than things looked 2-3 months ago

What amazes me, though, is how bad some people were beating up Reaper over their issues, when there are far, far worse KS stories out there.

The biggest problem with Reaper at the moment is that some of the Canadian/ROW backers feel ignored/let down. Lots of folk are posting they've got their Bones, retailers are putting bones up for pre-order but these backers have no shipping email and no idea when they'll get one so they're panicing

There used to be a KS tracker to watch (and KS comments posts from Bryan) but since this was shut down with the last 3000(?) odd ROW/Canadian packages still to go they've not heard anything direct from Reaper.

Indirect info suggests the western Canada shipments have hit some sort of new problem as it seems they've left Reaper and disappeared (certainly they've been in transit much longer than expected), and there is probably a bunch of ROW stuff packed and waiting for USPS truck(s)- my guess all the remaining ROW stuff is in this position-

so while I normally say don't update unless you've got something new to say in this case an update spelling out exactly what's going on with these last few pledges would be smart

Edited by Orlando_the_Technicoloured
  • Like 2

Funny to be eading this conversation here, which is almost a mirror of a conversation over on another Kickstarter comment thread.

An interesting input on this matter from Adam Poots, the guy who basically IS Kingdom Death:

Creator Kingdom Death about 5 hours ago

@Victor Garrison, yep. Your are 100% correct sir! Kickstarter is in many ways MUCH more risky then a traditional investor relationship in regards to game publishing. Developing, producing and fulfilling a high number of physical games is a huge responsibility and I am constantly warning other 'would-be' game creators of the many challenges ahead.

It's a real shame for the people who backed projects like these, even if they knew the risks when pledging.

At least in some cases though the creator of the projects is accepting fault and making an effort to resolve the situation and refund backers. Although that's just words at the moment, I'd be interested to hear how that process is working out in a few months time.

I was looking through that first Kickstarter, The Doom That Came to Atlantic City, saw the miniatures and thought "I'm glad I wasn't really following Kickstarter at the point, I would totally backed this project, it's a Cthulhu version of MonopOH!!......oh.... I see....."

• Like 3