When Funded Kickstarters Go Bad.

Darsc Zacal

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfortunately in the majority of the projects I've backed the comms have been very poor, in some instances this has been explained as the owner of the project being ill or too busy to write an update.

Facebook is a marvellous thing, one project owner who was wiped out with the flu for nearly a month, had no trouble keeping their facebook profile up to date during this time, showing off all the cool stuff they had been buying.

Which makes me wonder what is pre-order anyway, a seller don't have a product on hand but give an estimated delivery day, meanwhile they accept payment for product they dont have so they could use the money in the business. Sounds familiar to me.

edit: lousy finger can't type on iphone

Edited by Redshylock

Wow. That's crazy. At least people know why they haven't had any communication since May.

Even though the number of kickstarters that fail miserably are quire rare I'm quite happy that I seam to have only backed one for around $30 and makes me happy that a few of the risks I have taken (paymaster games. Antimatter games, Wreck Age, Renaissance Miniatures) all have turned out well (though three have had to use their own funds to finish developing and producing their products). I have a few RPGs in limbo but combined that's only around $150 (which, sadly is a fraction of what I've spent on kickstarter in the past 3 years).

A lot of Kickstarter naysayers have all said it's only going to take one large project failing for people to sour on it (in the game section anyway) and I don't think that's the case. I do think this is going to force kickstarter people to be more forthcoming on who they are (that should even be a policy).

That wouldn't have prevented the purge incident as I doubt the people involved had a criminal record up until this time or that would have been in the article but it would help protect people from people with records (or at least save those on Reddit and 4Chan, actually doing the work to track down project creator, some time).

Thank you for starting this thread, Dasc. It's good to keep a record of project creators to avoid. So far I've had nothing but successful experiences with KS. Every project delivery has been delayed by 3-6 months, but I go into each project expecting that. As long as the creator maintains decent communication throughout the delays, it isn't reason for concern. I also haven't ever backed anything for over $100, and usually it's under $50. I went in halfzies with a buddy on the Bones KS to keep each of our investments at a reasonable level.

Right now I have I have two outstanding KS projects, but am not overly concerned. One is from Happy Seppuku, who I've purchased product from in the past. The other is from Impudent Mortal. This is his second successful KS project. I backed his first, and he had great communication through fulfillment (even during delays while his laser got held up in customs).

When people say it is a pre-order they insult themselves.

Well, unlike your post, I don't feel insulted when I use the term (even though I completely understand the difference between normal pre-ordering and this particular style of 'pre-ordering'). :poke:

Edited by mvincent

I'd say that it's similar to a pre-order, but not exactly. I would even go so far to say that you are investing in both a pre-order and in kickstarter.

A pre-order usually implies that the product is done and shipped. The only thing preventing you from getting your order is if the shipment is lost at sea (so basically shipping), or if the company reallocates product from your fulfillment location to somewhere else, like D/A might do with their WizKids products.

Most retailers will return your funds for a pre-order as part of good business practice and policy, because all they are doing is securing their orders with the publishers/distributors - which they can give back, because they are literally just holding it. So, this is policy and nothing was spent if something goes wrong (this is not all cases).

A kickstarter MIGHT imply a pre-order if they are in the process of shipping like with Zombicide, but usually means that a company needs the funds to complete their manufacturing process - or even to start it. The money is being spent, not held. There are many many things that can go wrong here, such as; mismanagement, lack of experience or delays. With these kinds of risks, I see this purely as investments.

If kickstarter is not an investment, I'm curious as to know what would define an investment.

• Like 2