ub3r_n3rd

ub3r's WIP's and Workbench!

Does Green stuff have a more formal name?

I got the stuff that corporea uses to bake (sculpy)...

But I suspect that green stuff is a different critter!

Might be something to add to the Birthday "I wanna list".

Green Stuff Epoxy - Gets its name from mixing the blue and yellow together to make green. It takes about 6-8 hours to cure. It's very sticky at first, but it's really great to sculpt things with, patch holes, make bases with, etc.

Green Stuff Epoxy - Gets its name from mixing the blue and yellow together to make green. It takes about 6-8 hours to cure. It's very sticky at first, but it's really great to sculpt things with, patch holes, make bases with, etc.

Thank you ub3r, I will have it in two days.

Solves a few issues I have with a couple mini's.

• Like 1

Thank you ub3r, I will have it in two days.

Solves a few issues I have with a couple mini's.

NP Jay! Oh and working with Green Stuff, you may want to have some kind of petroleum jelly product on hand to lightly coat your sculpting tools and fingers with. It is VERY sticky stuff. Things people use: Chapstick, Vaseline, and even the oils from their own skin (like along their noses) - ick! I use Vaseline. 

Edited by ub3r_n3rd
  • Like 1

Looks like I just found a use for that extra can of PAM that I have had sitting in the cupboard for months,

since I am olive oil partial !

Thanks ub3r !

• Like 1

Looks like I just found a use for that extra can of PAM that I have had sitting in the cupboard for months,

since I am olive oil partial !

Thanks ub3r !

Oh and if you notice that after the stuff cures, just wipe it of with a damp towel, some people will do a quick wash with dish soap/warm water if they use too much. This way you can prime/paint over the green stuff w/o it repelling your paints.

Here's the company page.

• Like 2

So just got done playing our Pathfinder game and the PC I have had for 3 years is dead! Fought an alternate version of himself and I just wasn't thinking on a few things and ended up getting defeated. So now I have to roll up a new PC, was thinking of a straight up barbarian this time and painting up the Barbarian Dude still, but I also have a few other ideas. Kinda sad, but that's the way the dice rolls sometimes.

Anyhow, still need to get to work on that dang Eye Beast he's about 50% done and need to have him completed by Monday for entry into the contest.

well, that kinda sucks. Party isn't gonna try and bring you back?

Don't think so, chances are pretty slim. Oh well. I've got other ideas for new characters tho.

A few updates!

First off I'm almost done with the Eye Beast so I'll post those pics first (only 2). I was trying hard to get him done last night, but the clock turned 10pm and I was still working on the basing. So I'll end up just posting pictures of the finished product in a show-off thread when he's completed.

After seeing how many people were doing a few of the ideas I had, I switched him up and decided to go with a Frost Eye Beast, his base is snow and ice covered and he's got Sapphire Blue and Ice Blue (highlights) on him.

post-7987-0-58391400-1399392588_thumb.jpg

post-7987-0-83031200-1399392589_thumb.jpg

Edited by ub3r_n3rd
  • Like 13

Now that my exchange partner (Dontfear) has received his piece from the slow-moving UPS I'll post the entire WIP pic collection I've been saving up!

First off, the BASE. For this project I used 2 inch thick insulation foam that I bought from Home Depot. I also got some Aleene's Tacky Glue (as recommended) to glue the foam pieces of which I cut into two 2" x 2" pieces, which was glued onto a 2 x 2 piece of balsa wood for stability. So the thing started out at 4 inches high before I started going at it with some needle nosed pliers to give it texture and carve out the whole.

post-7987-0-64594600-1399392780_thumb.jpg  post-7987-0-54104300-1399392782_thumb.jpg

You can see that it used to be pink foam. I used brush-on primer mixed with grey paint to prime it up, then went over it with that same grey paint and then added some black to it to hit those shadows and shaded areas.

post-7987-0-24958700-1399392785_thumb.jpg  post-7987-0-39170500-1399392786_thumb.jpg

More shading and highlights.

post-7987-0-77215400-1399392789_thumb.jpg  post-7987-0-97771100-1399392791_thumb.jpg

So here I'm using Realistic Water after I painted the bottom area a sickly green color (Peacock Green mixed with a tad bit of Muddy Brown). It just so happens that I made a mistake that I ended being fortuitous! The paint wasn't dry completely when I poured the realistic water and the paint ended up floating a little bit in the mix. I loved the effect.

post-7987-0-53418600-1399392793_thumb.jpg

Added paint to the actual mixture during the second pour (I had to pour 3 times). This darkened the water and made it look creepier and more deadly to me. I also added some tufts to the outside as some vegetation would grow near this water I thought, no matter how icky it was.

Continued in next post!

• Like 17

This one is REALLY picture heavy, but what the heck might as well go ahead and post most of them in one post.

The idea of this whole thing came to me when I saw this particular figure, Hellakin Gorecutter.  I'm using all bones figures for this project so along with Hellakin, I have a bones spider and a bones skeletal archer. All of these were in the KS 1 of course.

So I wanted to tell a story of this halfling thief who decides to check out a cave, hearing that their was a great beast within, but no one had ever lived to tell what was inside... Wanted creepy, something to give an element of danger to the scene as a whole.

post-7987-0-42551300-1399393695_thumb.jpg

All of them slathered in Brown Liner.

post-7987-0-31399000-1399393696_thumb.jpg

Base coats on the spider and skeleton.

post-7987-0-61724300-1399393699_thumb.jpg post-7987-0-56061100-1399393703_thumb.jpg

Painted up the spider, I'm calling him the "Deadly Redstripe" spider, not that you'll be able to see much of him when it's all said and done so I didn't put to much effort into shading/highlights and making it perfect.

post-7987-0-65826900-1399393701_thumb.jpg  post-7987-0-52904200-1399393702_thumb.jpg

I was sealing this thing up and wanted the water to remain shiny, so I landed myself into another problem that ended up looking really good. I placed a sticker on top of the water, but when I went to peel it back off some of the paper stuck to the water surface and I couldn't get it back off, so I thought to myself to make it a feature not a flaw. I put some green paint on the white paper and made these little sickly green moss floating on the water out of it.

Painted up the skeleton and then I used some floral wire to tie his arms to his body and his legs together, after that I used just a piece of cotton I stole from my wife's make-up area and wrapped him in a cocoon!

post-7987-0-55449500-1399393704_thumb.jpg  post-7987-0-57547700-1399393705_thumb.jpg

Putting on base colors, painting up the face.

post-7987-0-96360200-1399393740_thumb.jpg  post-7987-0-57656300-1399393741_thumb.jpg

Mid-tones, highlights, and more touch-ups.

post-7987-0-33011000-1399393742_thumb.jpg  post-7987-0-28133700-1399393743_thumb.jpg

Almost done, just a few more touch-ups, but didn't take more pics of him until the very end.

The final WIP of the base after the spider has been attached and the skeleton has been placed inside hanging upside down like a good meal.

post-7987-0-40791800-1399394301_thumb.jpg  post-7987-0-60198300-1399394302_thumb.jpg

Materials used during project:

Insulation Foam - as described above

Floral Wire - as described above 

Cotton Ball - as described above

I tested out a few ways of making webbing from some tutorials I looked up here and on other sites.

White Glue/Super Glue mix - For egg sacks in the back of the cave behind the spider and to make more webbing

Super Glue dripped in water - For webbing

Tar Gel - To make the webbing in front of the spider

C&C are welcomed and appreciated, but at this point there's no going back to make any changes since it's in dontfear's hands now!  :upside:

• Like 17