ub3r_n3rd

ub3r's WIP's and Workbench!

That's pretty cool.  That skin is looking great.  The back in that last picture is particularly interesting.  Loving the depth and definition.  You have the beginnings of a great piece on your hands.

Which ironically has no hands yet.

Not judging. 

They are painted up and almost ready to go onto the figure, the pose when they are attached makes it hard to reach places though so I'm waiting until I get all the spots around where his hands/arms will be so I don't have to go retouch things over and over again especially now that I got the skin looking good.

Now, tell me... who are you and did you do to our friend? Trying different stuff, smooth as silk layers...  ^_^

PS: Looking awesome. Waiting to check how the purple came out. 

• Like 3

Gotta level up some time right? I'm really wanting this guy to be my best ever so I'm trying out new techniques and really taking my time being patient with my layering and blending. 

Yeah, I can't believe I forgot to take the most recent pics and post them. I was up until 11:15 last night painting on him so that's my only excuse, was tired and simply forgot. Definitely add them tonight though! 

• Like 3

Gotta level up some time right? I'm really wanting this guy to be my best ever so I'm trying out new techniques and really taking my time being patient with my layering and blending. 

Well.. it is working  :;):

And it sounds you are also having a good time! Make every last mini your best, that is what I say!

• Like 2

Quick update before going out to dinner tonight. Here's a few more pics of the Barbarian Dude as he stands right now. These are the ones I forgot to take last night. Oh, and I got his arms pictured as well for you guys!

post-7987-0-15651400-1399681494_thumb.jpg. post-7987-0-89400200-1399681469_thumb.jpg

post-7987-0-32829100-1399681504_thumb.jpg. post-7987-0-78356700-1399681517_thumb.jpg

• Like 14

Fantastic! Keep it going.  Don't let your focus slip.  keep really focusing on each part and put as much thought and time into them as you have the skin and this will turn out fantastic.

• Like 1

Yep, so far it is fantastic. I would just advice to tighten the highlight, only on the top parts. Create what the skin tutorial achieves with the airbrush: lighter highlights towards the crown of the face, and darker shadows on the low part of legs and torso.

That effect is called "global lightning" and simulates actual light falling on an object.

• Like 1

@ub3r_n3rd, that is a nice fleshtone recipe, and thanks for the tutorial link.

Has anyone tried painting skin with an airbrush as shown in the tutorial? It seems like it could take a long time for all the color changes involved, but I have no experience with airbrushing, so I don't really know. The results in the tutorial look nice, though.

• Like 2

One other nice thing about base coloring with red is that a shallow scratch on the paint surface will show the red through, looking like scratched skin, not scratched paint. I discovered that by accident once.

... Has anyone tried painting skin with an airbrush as shown in the tutorial? It seems like it could take a long time for all the color changes involved, but I have no experience with airbrushing, so I don't really know. ...

As for painting skin with an airbrush, I have tried that before, but on 8-inch tall, rather stylized anime models -- never nearly that small. It would take several evenings, or a long weekend, for me to paint up the skin of something that large, like in the tutorial. (I was slow.)

Edited by Grumpy Cave Bear
  • Like 1

Beautiful Flesh tones..!!!

You have a marvellous creation under way !

Look forward to seeing it upon my return !

Willin and Dontfear will cheer you on in my absence !

• Like 1

One other nice thing about base coloring with red is that a shallow scratch on the paint surface will show the red through, looking like scratched skin, not scratched paint. I discovered that by accident once.

... Has anyone tried painting skin with an airbrush as shown in the tutorial? It seems like it could take a long time for all the color changes involved, but I have no experience with airbrushing, so I don't really know. ...

As for painting skin with an airbrush, I have tried that before, but on 8-inch tall, rather stylized anime models -- never nearly that small. It would take several evenings, or a long weekend, for me to paint up the skin of something that large, like in the tutorial. (I was slow.)

Airbrush? On a 28mm mini?

That tutorial would take me about 30 min and I am a complete noob with the Airbrush. Changing colors is as easy as flushing out the rest of your color, flushing some water through, getting the new paint in, and painting. The actual application would be a couple minutes.

I propose to show the skin tutorial above on the airbrush next Saturday at the Virtual Painting Meeting, if needed  :blush:

• Like 2

Skin is looking good Ub3r! Just read the tutorial and I think it is definatly worth experimenting with. I will agree with Willen on the highlights. I find hold the mini up to a light from the angle I want to help me visualize where to place my highest highlights.

• Like 1

That tutorial would take me about 30 min and I am a complete noob with the Airbrush. Changing colors is as easy as flushing out the rest of your color, flushing some water through, getting the new paint in, and painting. The actual application would be a couple minutes.

I propose to show the skin tutorial above on the airbrush next Saturday at the Virtual Painting Meeting, if needed  :blush:

Oops, backward. I wasn't so clear. I meant airbrushing the skin on an 8-inch (1/6 scale) figure took a long weekend. Much bigger surface area and all that. Even so, I was still too slow.

I agree, though that painting a 28mm mini would take longer for setup and cleaning the airbrush, than the actual painting itself. If I did it like that, I'd have a whole bunch of minis set up to paint in one go.

• Like 1

Wow, that's a lot faster than I expected. That would be cool if you wish to do it, but only if you wish.  If you demonstrate the tutorial, can you capture the video and post a link for those of us who can't be there?