ub3r_n3rd

ub3r's WIP's and Workbench!

@Grumpy: yeah, exactly. I figure 10 min of painting, 20 mins of cleaning, if no clogs.

@Serenity: Sure! If we do a Virtual Meeting next Saturday, and other people agree, I can stream the piece directly to Youtube and it will be saved there. As an alternative, I can shoot it in HD with my phone, but that would not be directly available for streaming, would require editing, etc.

Anyway, I should find a mini with a lot of skin that is suitable... umm...

• Like 1

A few more WIP pics!

More shading (a bit of glazing to bring down the red red of the shades) and then some work on the veins on his hands and leg.

post-7987-0-55941000-1399853157_thumb.jpg

post-7987-0-15194900-1399853196_thumb.jpg

post-7987-0-45821100-1399853217_thumb.jpg

• Like 15

I'm not sure why I haven't checked out your WIP thread yet, but I am now, so get ready for a thorough stomp-liking before I catch up to the end!

Just thought I'd give you the heads up so you can lay in some protective gear.  ^_^

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

• Like 4

Thanks Talae!

Sill working on him tonight. Just got his eye done and moved to the kilt he's wearing. Going with blues on the kilt and probably a brown leather belt with the skull being a white or yellowed bone color.

Any thoughts on the skull being white or yellow? Also the furry boots, not sure what to do with them. Thinking black highlighted up to grey, but I'm all ears on suggestions.

Haha! Yep crossed in front of his chest when I attach them. Doing that later tho since I still have to get the belt done and it's easier to get to it without the arms.

WOW Ub I can't believe you got The Barbarian Dude!!!! I will have to live vicariously through you on this one! How in the world did you get your hands on one of these?

• Like 1

WOW Ub I can't believe you got The Barbarian Dude!!!! I will have to live vicariously through you on this one! How in the world did you get your hands on one of these?

This is the barbarian dude redux. Check out my signature. He rereleased the figure with a removable cloak and a great sword instead of an axe. Also did 499 this time and sold out within a couple of days unfortunately. I actually got 2 to paint up. One now and one in a year or two when I'm a better painter.

• Like 4

This is the barbarian dude redux. Check out my signature. He rereleased the figure with a removable cloak and a great sword instead of an axe. Also did 499 this time and sold out within a couple of days unfortunately. I actually got 2 to paint up. One now and one in a year or two when I'm a better painter.

He still looks awesome

• Like 2

Yup. I love this figure, so much amazing detail. I'm really enjoying working on resin too.

Thanks Talae!

Sill working on him tonight. Just got his eye done and moved to the kilt he's wearing. Going with blues on the kilt and probably a brown leather belt with the skull being a white or yellowed bone color.

Any thoughts on the skull being white or yellow? Also the furry boots, not sure what to do with them. Thinking black highlighted up to grey, but I'm all ears on suggestions.

Just keep in mind color harmonies. Blues next to strong yellow = jarring contrast. One of the two should be heavily desaturated, IMHO, for it to look natural. I would actually do a reddish earth-tone skull (only for the shadows of the skull) and use a jean-like blue, but then I usually go for more desaturated, grimmy and natural colors myself, so YMMV.

Also, the skin is so warm that I would go for a blueish grey on the furry boots. 

@Willen - Saw your reply this morning after I had done all the work below.

A ton more WIP pics for Barbarian Dude.

Started out working on his kilt, added a few layers of blue liner to it to get the base coat down, then started layering on some Breonne Blue to start up the highlighting.

post-7987-0-23920200-1399909647_thumb.jpg  post-7987-0-24938300-1399909648_thumb.jpg

More highlights, this time with a mix of Breonne Blue and Sapphire Blue.

post-7987-0-22491100-1399909649_thumb.jpg  post-7987-0-21637200-1399909650_thumb.jpg

Even more highlights going up to pure Sapphire and finally some white highlights. Also started on the big belt he wears.

post-7987-0-73814700-1399909650_thumb.jpg  post-7987-0-23971800-1399909651_thumb.jpg

Got his wrist wrap done in the same blue scheme, and the bracer done in the same scheme as his belt. Here it's Chestnut Brown with the darker areas being brown liner. Also slathered brown liner down on his furry boots and used Dirty Bone on his belt's skull after slathering it in brown liner to get some shadows. Painted up his bicep leather straps with brown liner to get a good dark base coat on.

post-7987-0-74476200-1399909651_thumb.jpg  post-7987-0-31401600-1399909652_thumb.jpg

Went over the skull with Ghost White (which has a little bit of a blue tint to it). Also used it to add a few more highlights to the kilt and then used it to do the whirls and curls of the design in his belt/bracer (not sure if I like this or not). Then went over the furry boots with the White Leather dry-brushing after painting the straps Chestnut Brown.

post-7987-0-28065900-1399909653_thumb.jpg  post-7987-0-27823500-1399909654_thumb.jpg

So this is where I left off last night. I still need to pin/glue arms on, as these last pictures are just dry-fitted in. I noticed when I put the arms up to the rest of the figure for the first time that there's a horrendous gap on his right triceps where it meets the figure, this is pretty upsetting to me as I had already gotten all those skin tones down to what I liked and now I'll have to figure out how to fill the gap nicely and then paint it up to match.

Again, I'm not sure if I like how the belt is looking, specifically the whirls and curling design being in white. I do like the skull and how it pops out. 

What do you guys/gals think?

Edited by ub3r_n3rd
  • Like 15