ub3r_n3rd

ub3r's WIP's and Workbench!

:blink: It's looking at me!!

Now, comments... where is the gap? I can't see it.

Then, the eyes. It needs framing, it needs a dark outline my friend. I know you don't like my style but oh, it needs it badly  ::P:  Don't force me to photoshop how it would look like, and you have the brush control to do it!!

The curls? What about a wash, very very dilluted, with the brown leather color, focusing in leaving the paint in the middle of the white band (away from the edge, I mean)? I would tone it red-orangish, just to see if I like it LOL. Actually, I would use GW sepia on it to tone it down from the white and make it blend more with the rest of the figure.

TL:DR: Awesome   :wub:

• Like 1

I had a lovely reply typed up after I caught up, but then the site went wonky and it disappeared. Luckily, though, I had a premonition when I hit "Post" and nothing happened, so I quickly copied it before the page crashed. :D

~~~~~~~~~

Huzzah, caught up at last! *coughs from the copious amounts of dust raised by all the stomp-liking*

It's just incredible to see how much you've grown and progressed since you first started painting here!! It was a lot of fun seeing you try new things, experimenting, and slowly working on different techniques. :)

I can't comment on everything, but I do have a few notes:

• The lady with the hawk on her hand - I was blown away at the difference after you glazed dark red over the green cloth of her skirt!! I'm actually working on a figure right now that has a green skirt, so I'm going to be brave and try that for myself! :)
  • Eyes - You've come a long way from where you started! It was so cool to see the difference between before and after you started using DKS' (is that right?) eyes technique, substantially better! :)
  • Gems - You really nailed the first one you tried, it was the small gem on the end of I think the gnome sorceress' staff. It really popped!
  • NMM - You are braver than I am to try this! I've watched tutorials for it too, and it just twists my brain around. TMM makes a lot more sense to me, but I'm super impressed that you went for it, even though it didn't turn out quite the way you might have wanted. Your final result still looked pretty sharp, and I think if you keep practicing it, you could become a pro at it in time!
  • Blending - You've really improved on this with each mini you've posted about, they're nicely smooth, and just keep getting better! The cloth on your barbarian dude is stunning!!!
  • The seat cushion on the throne looks simply scrumptious, like a rich satin. Was it just straight Imperial Purple, or did you layer anything on top of it?
  • Exchange - I didn't notice the skeleton cocoon before, what a fun detail! :D It turned out fantastic; I hope I get you as a partner someday! :)
  • Skin tones - I think this is the area I've noticed the greatest improvement on. When I saw the skin on your latest project, my jaw dropped! It looks simply incredible, the red shading is not something I would have thought to try, and it looks simply superb!

I think that's everything! Needless to say, you are on my "Following" list, and I'm baffled why you weren't on there before! I'm really looking forward to see where you go with this barbarian, what a neat sculpt with loads of potential! :)

Edit to add: I very much agree with Willen, the eye needs a bit of an outline to really pop. :)

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

Edited by OneBoot
  • Like 4

:blink: It's looking at me!!

Then, the eyes. It needs framing, it needs a dark outline my friend. I know you don't like my style but oh, it needs it badly   ::P:  Don't force me to photoshop how it would look like, and you have the brush control to do it!!

The curls? What about a wash, very very dilluted, with the brown leather color, focusing in leaving the paint in the middle of the white band (away from the edge, I mean)? I would tone it red-orangish, just to see if I like it LOL. Actually, I would use GW sepia on it to tone it down from the white and make it blend more with the rest of the figure.

TL:DR: Awesome    :wub:

The gap you can see in the very last picture on his right arm. It looks brownish red right now as I have some paint in the area to make sure that when the piece was glued together that it would look seamless, it's there if you look at the under part of the arm. 

More framing on the eye? I have that darker flesh tone in there mixed with a tad bit of red and then barely put some tiny white dots at the corners of the eye. I didn't want to give him "eye liner" as he's a dude, but the pictures are from my iPhone and seem to wash out the lining I do have, perhaps I need to go over it again? What would you do with the missing eye? The eyelid is obviously closed so should I go back in there with a little bit darker at the same time that I do the lining of the good eye?

His eye is SO tiny on this figure, very difficult to do right I think. 

So for the wash you are saying that I should do some kind of reddish-orange (probably more red) along the outside of the curls and leave the white alone except for that sepia tone (I'll have to see what colors I have to make the sepia tone as I only own RMSPs).

I had a lovely reply typed up after I caught up, but then the site went wonky and it disappeared. Luckily, though, I had a premonition when I hit "Post" and nothing happened, so I quickly copied it before the page crashed. :D

~~~~~~~~~

Huzzah, caught up at last! *coughs from the copious amounts of dust raised by all the stomp-liking*

It's just incredible to see how much you've grown and progressed since you first started painting here!! It was a lot of fun seeing you try new things, experimenting, and slowly working on different techniques. :)

I can't comment on everything, but I do have a few notes:

• The lady with the hawk on her hand - I was blown away at the difference after you glazed dark red over the green cloth of her skirt!! I'm actually working on a figure right now that has a green skirt, so I'm going to be brave and try that for myself! :)
  • Eyes - You've come a long way from where you started! It was so cool to see the difference between before and after you started using DKS' (is that right?) eyes technique, substantially better! :)
  • Gems - You really nailed the first one you tried, it was the small gem on the end of I think the gnome sorceress' staff. It really popped!
  • NMM - You are braver than I am to try this! I've watched tutorials for it too, and it just twists my brain around. TMM makes a lot more sense to me, but I'm super impressed that you went for it, even though it didn't turn out quite the way you might have wanted. Your final result still looked pretty sharp, and I think if you keep practicing it, you could become a pro at it in time!
  • Blending - You've really improved on this with each mini you've posted about, they're nicely smooth, and just keep getting better! The cloth on your barbarian dude is stunning!!!
  • The seat cushion on the throne looks simply scrumptious, like a rich satin. Was it just straight Imperial Purple, or did you layer anything on top of it?
  • Exchange - I didn't notice the skeleton cocoon before, what a fun detail! :D It turned out fantastic; I hope I get you as a partner someday! :)
  • Skin tones - I think this is the area I've noticed the greatest improvement on. When I saw the skin on your latest project, my jaw dropped! It looks simply incredible, the red shading is not something I would have thought to try, and it looks simply superb!

I think that's everything! Needless to say, you are on my "Following" list, and I'm baffled why you weren't on there before! I'm really looking forward to see where you go with this barbarian, what a neat sculpt with loads of potential! :)

Edit to add: I very much agree with Willen, the eye needs a bit of an outline to really pop. :)

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

Thanks Mrs. Boot!

Your comments are greatly appreciated.

• Red/Green - Yeah I'm a true convert now with the Red Glaze in Green and Green Glaze in Red after Willen and DF talked to me about it and convinced me to try it out. I preach it to everyone who will listen to me that it's an amazing thing to do.
  • Eyes - They were something that I've been constantly trying to improve on (they are something that we all seem to struggle with). Yes, DKS' technique is awesome.
  • Gems - Thanks, I do need to practice those quite a bit more though.
  • NMM - I do like to try out different techniques as that's the only way we can better ourselves as painters and find out what we like and what speaks to us. For me I found out it was TMM over NMM so that's what I'll be doing from now on. One of the best painters out there Roman Lappat (from massive Voodoo) does a lot of TMM, here's a tutorial he did if you are interested.
  • Blending - Something that I knew I needed to learn to better myself and soften transitions, it's getting easier to do for me too, just making sure to mix the colors right and going over in thinner layers, glazing really.
  • Seat Cushion - Straight up Imperial Purple! Just quite a few layers (5-7) of it to get that deep rich tone down.
  • Exchange - Haha, I'd like that too, you are another painter that I really admire so it'd be a treat to get something of yours.
  • Skin tones - I'm always on the lookout now for new ways of doing the skin tones and when I saw that red base I just HAD to try it for this guy especially with how much skin he's showing and all those crazy muscles, they just seemed to cry out to try the technique on.

Thank you for following, commenting, and inspiring me.

I'll be doing a bit more outlining tonight with that eye since both of you have mentioned it.

Edited by ub3r_n3rd
  • Like 2

:blink: It's looking at me!!

Then, the eyes. It needs framing, it needs a dark outline my friend. I know you don't like my style but oh, it needs it badly   ::P:  Don't force me to photoshop how it would look like, and you have the brush control to do it!!

TL:DR: Awesome    :wub:

The gap you can see in the very last picture on his right arm. It looks brownish red right now as I have some paint in the area to make sure that when the piece was glued together that it would look seamless, it's there if you look at the under part of the arm. 

More framing on the eye? I have that darker flesh tone in there mixed with a tad bit of red and then barely put some tiny white dots at the corners of the eye. I didn't want to give him "eye liner" as he's a dude, but the pictures are from my iPhone and seem to wash out the lining I do have, perhaps I need to go over it again? What would you do with the missing eye? The eyelid is obviously closed so should I go back in there with a little bit darker at the same time that I do the lining of the good eye?

His eye is SO tiny on this figure, very difficult to do right I think. 

So for the wash you are saying that I should do some kind of reddish-orange (probably more red) along the outside of the curls and leave the white alone except for that sepia tone (I'll have to see what colors I have to make the sepia tone as I only own RMSPs).

Rgding the eye: No... it is difficult to explain. He looks startled. It is a slow day here so let me see if I can fire up GIMP and show you.

And I think I couldn't explain about the bands either. Let's see if I can wip a graphic together...

Ahh I see what you mean, I need to go a little bit lower from the eyebrow ridge to give him an eyelid! Probably give him more of an outline as well at the bottom and left corner of his eye. 

Edited by ub3r_n3rd

Yeah, like that. I don't have GIMP here, so this is a crude Paint image, sorry, but basically "reduce" the white with a slightly dark skin color. Look at people's eyes, it is there, they are our wrinkles around the eyes that make a dark "ring". 

Also, the "wash" would be were the orange line is. Basically, what I am telling you is to avoid going over the edges because you can use that white as "edge highlighting". Some wash will spill over anyway, but then you can re-highlight only the upper edge and add volume.

ub3r.jpg

• Like 2

Also, the closed eye. I would do it in shadows, much darker than now. Your point of light on the forehead is opposite, so it makes sense it is in shadow. Go darker and then just pick up interesting detail with your midtone. I don't know, is there anything interesting as a feature there to make pop? Is the eye scarred? Freshly wounded?

Check this image for eyes, I am linking because it is quite large.

Edited by Willen

Also, the closed eye. I would do it in shadows, much darker than now. Your point of light on the forehead is opposite, so it makes sense it is in shadow. Go darker and then just pick up interesting detail with your midtone. I don't know, is there anything interesting as a feature there to make pop? Is the eye scarred? Freshly wounded?

Check this image for eyes, I am linking because it is quite large.

Will go in tonight and outline the entire eye a bit better giving it more darkness, just need to think on what color to do as I don't want black, but maybe a dark golden flesh tone color like a slight reddish brown would work there.

The curls - I'll try out a sepia glaze/wash over that area as you suggest, I'm just not happy with the white the more I look at it, which is why I'm asking for any help on color choices/ideas I can get from anyone who wants to give it.

The closed eye actually has a grisly scar across the middle of it from the top of the forehead to the cheek (it's actually a reddish color in there to show it was a rather new scar). These pictures are really being washed out I'm convinced now, need to take proper pictures of the face to give better detail to everyone. Will get them done tonight after making these changes and show what his face looks like as well as that right arm joining to show what I mean by the bad gap.

• Like 1

Use your darker skin shadows for the outline, never black, agreed :)

If the scar is there, as a way of contrast... highlight the very edge with pink, a very light pink? Most scar tissue, on the top, lacks blood and so is very very pale. Rosy Skin highlight would work charms there.

• Like 2

Update!

Took Willen and OneBoot's advice as fixed the eyes. Also got the hair done, going for an auburn color. The belt I changed the curling patterns by adding brown ink on top. Also fixed the scars.

post-7987-0-59515900-1399951291_thumb.jpg

post-7987-0-35957400-1399951317_thumb.jpg

Thoughts? Advice? Comments?

• Like 8

Looking very good!

I was going to suggest a gray metallic or NMM on the belt details, but the brown wash gives it a bronze appearance, which is better than my idea. The area around the eyes might be even darker, as the underside of the beard, as it will be in shadow from the crossed arms (if it can be seen at all with the arms attached).

The blue on the kilt has nice highlights. I like that you left the visible inside potion dark. ...And I'm just awed by the work on the skin.

• Like 1

Nice job on the loin cloth. The zenithal lighting is quite well done there. A light glaze of a midtone would smooth it out more if you cared to try it.

• Like 1

The eye now is much better, he looks menacing and a badass  :blush:

The band's white, toned down, helps define the skull. I would've edge-highlighted it on the top to make it more... volumetric, but it is a small feature and not really needed, since the focus on the guy is the skin.

The hair looks awesome, BTW.

What are your thoughts for the sword?

• Like 1

Looking very good!

I was going to suggest a gray metallic or NMM on the belt details, but the brown wash gives it a bronze appearance, which is better than my idea. The area around the eyes might be even darker, as the underside of the beard, as it will be in shadow from the crossed arms (if it can be seen at all with the arms attached).

The blue on the kilt has nice highlights. I like that you left the visible inside potion dark. ...And I'm just awed by the work on the skin.

Thank you GCB! I might take your advice and go in with another little bit over the top of that left eye one more time to help define it a little bit better.

Nice job on the loin cloth. The zenithal lighting is quite well done there. A light glaze of a midtone would smooth it out more if you cared to try it.

Thanks! I'll did a little bit of a glaze last night, so check out the new pics I'm posting after this and let me know if you think it needs more glazing.

The eye now is much better, he looks menacing and a badass  :blush:

The band's white, toned down, helps define the skull. I would've edge-highlighted it on the top to make it more... volumetric, but it is a small feature and not really needed, since the focus on the guy is the skin.

The hair looks awesome, BTW.

What are your thoughts for the sword?

That's what I'm wanting, menacing and badass. In Pathfinder this is a "Scarred Rager" who gains bonuses in game for having horrendous scars and wears them as badges of honor. The hair I added some more highlighting and shading to after this pic and think it looks even better. 

For the sword, I originally was going to do this character with a falchion and modified it, but that character ended up dying after I modified the sword into a falchion. So the plan now is to look through my weapons and decide on if I want him to have a great sword, great axe, or stick with that falchion. I may try my hand at NMM again or more likely TMM (as that seems to be my preference after trying both out).

To everyone, thank you for the continued complements, critiques, and advice. This is a piece I already have about 14 hours into and I really do want to make him a piece to be proud of. I can see putting another 10 hours into the basing and touch-ups before I'm happy enough to call him done.

Also, I'm trying to think up a good barbarian name for him, but for some reason I'm drawing a blank. Any ideas on a good name?

I was originally thinking something along the lines of "_______ the one-eyed" or "one-eyed _____" 

• Like 3