ub3r_n3rd

ub3r's WIP's and Workbench!

Latest update as of about 11pm last night when I washed my brushes and put away my paints for the evening.

Went in with some more highlighting on the hair, got the arms pinned/glued, then used some light molding paste to fill the gaps that I saw there. After that I used brush-on sealer to help smooth out the rough spots (as well as on his face as it was looking a little chalky), then primed/painted his armbands. Used Brown Liner, then Chestnut Brown, and then a little bit of weathering with a mix of Chestnut Brown and White Leather.

Touched up his kilt a little bit more with some slight glazing as I felt some of the highlights were too many and too high, also touched up his skin in places and added a little more reddish skin tone to the shadows.

post-7987-0-37459300-1399994660_thumb.jpg

post-7987-0-17696900-1399994661_thumb.jpg

To do:

• Some lining to help define things a little bit better in some areas, most notably where his skin meets his garments.
  • Touch up that eye, as GCB noted, it should probably be a tad bit darker and I think I need to give him a little itty bitty bit more of a lid.
  • Sword/Weapon - Will decide what to do with that tonight, most likely TMM.
  • Cut the rock from his foot.
  • Start the bases - Plan is to have two bases (like Logen Ninefingers one of my previously painted figures). The bases I have in mind are going to be bloody and gory, there will be body parts of something (thinking demonic or monstrous, but open to ideas from the figures in the first kickstarter to choose from) strewn about with the 1-inch base having his foot on top of a cut off head instead of that rock. This will convey a sense of menace and danger to his enemies, add some heavy gel medium mixed with red paint to his wounds and make them fresh as if he had just battled said enemy.
  • Figure out a good name for him!

C&C are again welcomed and appreciated, thanks for continuing to look and give great advice everyone!

• Like 17

Wow!  I really like where this is going, and the blues are awesome!

Hey Kuro! Glad you like it, haven't see you in a while.

Any thoughts or advice on how to better him?

I'm not qualified to post, but I will anyway. :upside: Love the blues and clothing, scars look great. Not sure about the sculpt as a whole personally, too many dragonball z muscle lumps. :;):

Edit to add: Can't wait to see how you base him!

Edit 2: I'm playing through Dragon Age (videogame) again and got to thinking some blood spatter might be interesting with all the dead bodies.

Edited by Orracle
  • Like 2

You are qualified to post Orracle, I take all advice/critiques/comments and it helps me get better as a painter in this hobby.

Thank you for the complements on his clothing and scars, he is very muscle-bound that's for sure (which is one of the reasons I liked him as a figure for a PC), but everyone has different tastes and I absolutely respect that. 

Basing is something that I've really come to enjoy doing and it is another outlet for creativity in this hobby, it helps tell a story for the figure and really gives it a completeness.

Dragon Age is a really fun game (I've played through 1 & 2, have 3 on preorder for when it comes out on October 7th), I actually was thinking about blood splatter on him a little bit. I have the Citadel Special Effects Paint Set and haven't tried any out yet, but think that Blood of the Blood God would be perfect for this piece.

By all that's barbarous be careful cutting that rock off.  It always makes me nervous when the "paint before assembly" crowd gets physical with a figure that is coming along as nicely as this one is.

• Like 2

By all that's barbarous be careful cutting that rock off.  It always makes me nervous when the "paint before assembly" crowd gets physical with a figure that is coming along as nicely as this one is.

He's resin and that rock should come off pretty easily, even so I'm going to wrap him in a soft towel or something similar and hold him gently since he has his arms on now and I don't want to break them off after spending the time to pin/glue/fill/paint them and the gaps last night. If I messed up what I've done so far I'd be pretty upset. Maybe I'll do the touch-ups I need, seal him and then do the rock to not even have a chance to rub off the paint.

• Like 2

That is one angry librarian!  Err... Barbarian! 

Great skin tones, the blues are a great contrast and are very well done, and the scarred face... is just very cool.

• Like 2

Thanks Dark & SG!

Got the rock cut off after a few touchups and sealing him up. Primed up the sword after doing a test run on another sword which failed. I was trying NMM again and just having a tough time of it. Calling it a night.

Edited by ub3r_n3rd
  • Like 2

Most updated pics of him after the touchups. Most notably the black lining and the veins are better.

post-7987-0-37979300-1400044499_thumb.jpg

post-7987-0-50787400-1400044509_thumb.jpg

• Like 13

Looking good all around. I think that the fur might need a bit more of a highlight around the top and the foot to make it look properly shaded and highlighted and the blue by his raised leg is a bit intense compared to the rest of the cloth.

The skin turned out nice and the face is great.

• Like 2

Very well executed on the skin tone and figure. After having read that you already sealled him, Only advice I got to offer is that I have found adding a thin line of an almost white color to the crown of the head gives it the shiney look.

• Like 2

Nice work with the viens, this has turned out really well. I feel like the pupil on the eye needs to be darker. It is sort of greyed out right now and doesn't quite have that sharp look it needs. This is easily, far and away your best work yet. Bravissimo!

• Like 1