ub3r_n3rd

ub3r's WIP's and Workbench!

I hope you find your muse as well. Maybe a work of art, maybe a character you play in a ttrpg, or maybe a figure will speak to you (like the barbarian dude does to me).

No problems on the derail. I do it all the time and if it helps you to get back into it, I'm more than happy for the thread jack.

trust me. Ub3r comes by his forum title honestly. Any thread he touches is going to be derailed at some point.

• Like 3

I hope you find your muse as well. Maybe a work of art, maybe a character you play in a ttrpg, or maybe a figure will speak to you (like the barbarian dude does to me).

No problems on the derail. I do it all the time and if it helps you to get back into it, I'm more than happy for the thread jack.

trust me. Ub3r comes by his forum title honestly. Any thread he touches is going to be derailed at some point.

Trooth!

• Like 1

Hey chaos, let's do virtual paint meetings and I will help you get motivated! You give me feedback, I give you feedback, and you will probably start wanting to paint :)

• Like 4

I would like to do that but my pc is no where near my painting area.

I use to have my pc in the basement with my hobby stuff but realized that the basement leaks in a few areas.  Being unsure how much it actually leaks I pulled the pc upstairs.

I saw that you were doing this sort of thing in another thread.  I think it is a cool idea, how has it worked out so far?

• Like 1

Well, we are bound to start next Saturday.

I find painting contagious. So even if you are not painting, but want to hang out, chat and exchange ideas, you will be more than welcome.

• Like 3

Sounds good to me.

As far as painting being contagious, idk about that but if true I hope I catch the bug soon as I really do sort of miss it.

• Like 3

Took some time last night to work on a few touch-ups as the great advice/critiques suggested:

1. Touched up the highlights on the furry boots as MS suggested.
  2. Got some highlights on the leather straps as chaoshead suggested.
  3. Darkened the eye from grey to a light blue so it pops a little better, did this since DF said he couldn't even see the eye in the pictures.
  4. Added a little more highlighting to the crown of the head as Silver suggested.
  5. Glazed the mid tone (breonne blue/sapphire blue) in the area of the kilt next to his raised leg and added some darker (from blue liner) to the interior where light wouldn't really penetrate, as per MS's other suggestion.
  6. Darkened the upper eyelid a bit more as suggested and gave him a semblance of eyebrows.
  7. Added some Bronze (metallic) to the curls/whirls on his belt to make it stand out even more.
  8. A few skin touch-ups where I added some more shading and also added some redness to his elbows and knees as I see a lot of pro painters doing.
  9. Noticed that his skin seemed a little bit chalky, so I went back over everything with the magical brush-on sealer.

After the brush-on sealer, it was too late to go out and hit him with a dull coat so I'll do that tonight, didn't want to take shiny pictures of him anyhow, so that updated pic will be put on this thread after the dull coat of course.

Things left to do:

1. Any other touch-ups suggested after taking new pictures.
  2. Decide on the weapon I want him to use both in-game and as a figure. I've got it narrowed down to a falchion or a great battleaxe. (Thoughts?)
  3. Paint up weapon using NMM or TMM - I'm still trying to get these techniques down and I want it to look really good so I've done some test runs and using simple green to remove paint. I just keep having problems getting it to look good enough. 
  4. Start the basing, again will be 2 bases in 1 for when the character enlarges. Plan is to have a creature with claws (demon/monster) that could've given him those wicked wounds on his body and have its body parts strewn about the base(s) with the head beneath the raised foot, thinking it'll be a winter-themed base since he's from the far north.
  5. Take over the world.
Edited by ub3r_n3rd
  • Like 7

Took some time last night to work on a few touch-ups as the great advice/critiques suggested:

1. Touched up the highlights on the furry boots as MS suggested.
  2. Got some highlights on the leather straps as chaoshead suggested.
  3. Darkened the eye from grey to a light blue so it pops a little better, did this since DF said he couldn't even see the eye in the pictures.
  4. Added a little more highlighting to the crown of the head as Silver suggested.
  5. Glazed the mid tone (breonne blue/sapphire blue) in the area of the kilt next to his raised leg and added some darker (from blue liner) to the interior where light wouldn't really penetrate, as per MS's other suggestion.
  6. Darkened the upper eyelid a bit more as suggested and gave him a semblance of eyebrows.
  7. Added some Bronze (metallic) to the curls/whirls on his belt to make it stand out even more.
  8. A few skin touch-ups where I added some more shading and also added some redness to his elbows and knees as I see a lot of pro painters doing.
  9. Noticed that his skin seemed a little bit chalky, so I went back over everything with the magical brush-on sealer.

After the brush-on sealer, it was too late to go out and hit him with a dull coat so I'll do that tonight, didn't want to take shiny pictures of him anyhow, so that updated pic will be put on this thread after the dull coat of course.

Things left to do:

1. Any other touch-ups suggested after taking new pictures.
  2. Decide on the weapon I want him to use both in-game and as a figure. I've got it narrowed down to a falchion or a great battleaxe. (Thoughts?)
  3. Paint up weapon using NMM or TMM - I'm still trying to get these techniques down and I want it to look really good so I've done some test runs and using simple green to remove paint. I just keep having problems getting it to look good enough. 
  4. Start the basing, again will be 2 bases in 1 for when the character enlarges. Plan is to have a creature with claws (demon/monster) that could've given him those wicked wounds on his body and have its body parts strewn about the base(s) with the head beneath the raised foot, thinking it'll be a winter-themed base since he's from the far north.
  5. Take over the world.

#5:  I'm sorry Pinky, I'm going to have to do something about this one now. 

• Like 3

Really liking the direction this is going - way to level up!

Thanks Heidi!  Gotta say after seeing what you are able to accomplish that I'm now taking it as a challenge to get closer to your level of works.

Where are we going to get a pink tutu this time of the night Brain?

pinky1.gif

• Like 4

Now that that's out of my system, how about some updates? Yes? Sure!

First off, I decided to use the Flesh Golem that I got from the Bones 1 Kickstarter. Painted him up all quick and dirty to use as part of the basing.

post-7987-0-31247500-1400464079_thumb.jpg

The colors I used after slopping brown liner all over him.

post-7987-0-75141800-1400464074_thumb.jpg  post-7987-0-37346800-1400464076_thumb.jpg

post-7987-0-45851100-1400464077_thumb.jpg  post-7987-0-79375300-1400464080_thumb.jpg

post-7987-0-14590500-1400464082_thumb.jpg  post-7987-0-43030400-1400464083_thumb.jpg

post-7987-0-83378700-1400464084_thumb.jpg  post-7987-0-25645400-1400464086_thumb.jpg

post-7987-0-71095200-1400464087_thumb.jpg  

He's been cut up here as you can see.

post-7987-0-68608700-1400464094_thumb.jpg

post-7987-0-57549800-1400464096_thumb.jpg  post-7987-0-38110700-1400464098_thumb.jpg

post-7987-0-00641500-1400464100_thumb.jpg  

Blood effect applied (the Citadel stuff - Blood of the Blood God)

post-7987-0-65901400-1400464101_thumb.jpg

Waiting for stuff to dry as I applied some molding paste to give it some texture. The base(s) are made of Super Sculpey Firm with a magnet in the bottom of the big base and a small metal washer in the bottom of the 1-inch base. I'll be adding the body parts as soon as it's dry and I've done some more painting on the stuff.

C&C Welcome and Appreciated! 

• Like 9

Really liking the direction this is going - way to level up!

Thanks Heidi!  Gotta say after seeing what you are able to accomplish that I'm now taking it as a challenge to get closer to your level of works.

Where are we going to get a pink tutu this time of the night Brain?

My daughter has generously donated one to the cause, Pinky.  Now, onto the work, spin that wheel, Pinky, spin for all you're worth!

OT:

Liking the blood and gore effects on the minis.  Is the Librarian going to be standing over the torso with a large axe?

• Like 5