Transported painted bones, sticking to each other.

Dibbler

My non-KS bones and I went to a few gaming sessions the last weeks! Experimentng (also: lazyness) I threw them in a ziplock bag. They took it quite well! Especially my goblins, army painter dipped. They were the most used ones, thrown around for fun and doesnt have a scratch. However, not all minis had a good time:

They started sticking to each other in the bag, leaving some pieces of paint behind when pulled apart! I wonder what is causing this. They were/are painted with a mix of citadel and reaper paints, some have a layer of army painter anti shine on them. Some of them army painter dipped, no issues with them. Any ideas?

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've had the same issue, but not nearly to the same degree. So far the ziplock treatment has been fine for me, they've stuck but no loss of paing. When they get hot they seem to stick more.

The figures I have that had a sticking problem were the ghosts I painted. I painted them first with reaper brush on sealer, then with a wash. Then I did what I do with all my figures: clear coat glossy spray followed by testors dullcote. I was almost out of testors, so I suspect I didn't get full coverage. The figures didn't just stick to each other, they stuck to a bunch of dog hair and are now furry.

I don't know for sure, but my current theory is it's my glossy spray that makes the figures stick. It seems like the ones that have had a thicker spray of testors dullcote have less stick. So perhaps its the army painter anti shine you're using. Maybe that isn't reacting well with the bones.

Are citadels still semi-gloss? I don't have any, but my coat d'arms (aka Old Citadel) are semigloss. Gloss or semigloss can be affected by humidity with plastic. Also on metals, but you won't notice the sticky-togetherness so much with those since a: most people don't throw painted metals together in a bag and b: being heavier there's not enough stickyness to hold them together.

Dullcote should fix the problem if you want to try that, but depending on area humidity might still be a problem. Right now, here, it's like a jungle so everything sticks to everything else. This is why I'm getting so much painting done, I can't get out of my chair.

• Like 5

I'm pretty convinced spray based sealers cause some issues with Bones. See this thread. All of my Bones that have been sealed with Krylon sprays have become shiny and slightly tacky (and I'm sure they would exhibit what you describe if left in a ziplock). I can tell it's the Bones material, because some of these figures are based on a different type of plastic, and the base portion (which was also sprayed) does not exhibit the same behavior.

Maybe non-Krylon spray sealers will work, but moving forward, I will be sealing my Bones with brush on varnish and avoiding sprays.

I've been painting with acrylics for almost 40 years and there has always been a slight problem with stickyness with glossy paints or mediums in hot or humid weather. I think it's part of the nature of these plastics.

Just last night I accidentally lifted a bit of paint off a piece by holding it with a clamp with rubbery plastic on the ends.

I learned a long time ago not to lean unframed acrylic paintings face to face.

Ironically, the picture acrylic varnish I used made them less inclined to stick, but that was a solvent-based acrylic resin, not a water-based one.

Matte finish does seem to reduce stickiness, but keeping the acrylic out of the sun, heat, and moisture also helps.

Hmmmmm. The first (and thus far, only) batch of Bones I painted I sprayed with Krylon Matte Finish. They are both very glossy and very tacky, sticking to each other, fingers, paper towels, etc., even when not in the heat. I assumed it was my own error (humidity, didn't shake it enough, put it on too thick, age of sealer) and intended to spray them all again. Now I'm not sure, after reading this thread and the thread Slashhamster linked. Thoughts? Has anyone confirmed that there are matte sealers that don't do this?

At first, I chalked it up to me either a) spraying too much gloss, or b) not shaking enough. But all of my Bones that have been sprayed were done over many weeks. For the later ones (like the gnoll and bugbear), I was very careful to thoroughly shake and to only apply a light coat. Both looked great initially. But weeks later, they are shiny and tacky like the others. I don't believe it's a defective can, since the same can has been used on metal minis and they're just fine.

I should point out that the shine/tackiness is not something you can observe quickly; it takes at least a few weeks for it to show up.

I have not tried using Testor's dullcote by itself directly over the paint, so I can't speak to the results from that. I've done enough testing and eliminating variables for my own purposes, and am convinced the Krylon sealer sprays and Bones do not play nice. I expect it probably extends to any sprays containing acetone, but I don't know that for sure.

The few Bones that I've done with gloss then matte brush-on varnish exhibit none of the problems.

Acetone certainly doesn't play nice straight on Bones. I used a bit on a cotton bud (called a Q-tip in other parts?) to wipe off some pigment marker I had used while writing on the bottom of one. It went a little soft and icky after just a swipe or two.

Acetone is also a solvent for acrylic paints, in that it will melt and obliterate them. I would be very hesitant to use it on plastic because any residue left in / on the plastic can mess up future paint jobs.

I'm pretty convinced spray based sealers cause some issues with Bones. See this thread. All of my Bones that have been sealed with Krylon sprays have become shiny and slightly tacky (and I'm sure they would exhibit what you describe if left in a ziplock). I can tell it's the Bones material, because some of these figures are based on a different type of plastic, and the base portion (which was also sprayed) does not exhibit the same behavior.

Maybe non-Krylon spray sealers will work, but moving forward, I will be sealing my Bones with brush on varnish and avoiding sprays.

I will add that the glossy spray I use and suspect is making them sticky is, in fact, Krylon.

Going over them again I have noticed something. I think the minis that stick together all have been primed with GW Chaos Black. Can that have something to do with it?

Are citadels still semi-gloss? I don't have any, but my coat d'arms (aka Old Citadel) are semigloss. Gloss or semigloss can be affected by humidity with plastic. Also on metals, but you won't notice the sticky-togetherness so much with those since a: most people don't throw painted metals together in a bag and b: being heavier there's not enough stickyness to hold them together.

Dullcote should fix the problem if you want to try that, but depending on area humidity might still be a problem. Right now, here, it's like a jungle so everything sticks to everything else. This is why I'm getting so much painting done, I can't get out of my chair.

I don't think they are semi-gloss, but that may just be newb-me.

Be careful not to hug anyone you dont like!

I don't know for sure, but my current theory is it's my glossy spray that makes the figures stick. It seems like the ones that have had a thicker spray of testors dullcote have less stick. So perhaps its the army painter anti shine you're using. Maybe that isn't reacting well with the bones.

Hmm I also have sticky models, and my matt anti-varnish was brush on. Also, I think one or two non-sealed models were part of the sticking-party.

I've been painting with acrylics for almost 40 years and there has always been a slight problem with stickyness with glossy paints or mediums in hot or humid weather. I think it's part of the nature of these plastics.

Just last night I accidentally lifted a bit of paint off a piece by holding it with a clamp with rubbery plastic on the ends.

Ironically, the picture acrylic varnish I used made them less inclined to stick, but that was a solvent-based acrylic resin, not a water-based one.

Matte finish does seem to reduce stickiness, but keeping the acrylic out of the sun, heat, and moisture also helps.

It is rather hot right now. And the insides of bags get humid. Any artist-fu on how to reduce the stickiness? Should gloss/non gloss varnishes be better/worse? The models doesnt seem to loose the primer when they unstick, could varnish perhaps "take the hit" of the stick?

I'll experiment a bit with liquitiex gloss varnish and army painter antishine when I have a clean workdesk :)

I have gone over the sticking models again, seems like most of them are the ones I primed with GW Chaos Black. Can that be the culpit?

Not sure if they are semigloss, I don't think so. I have some GW purity seal, may experiment with that :)

You gotta be careful about which people you hug, then :)

Anti shine was applied with brush on. Still, that may be it. Perhaps it'll behave a bit better if applied over some gloss varnish?

They were in a backpack in a ziplock bag. It was a warm day :) The primer seemed to hold when I tore them apart, when varnished would you expect all the paint to be dragged of, or may it be that the varnish sacrifice itself? :)

Gotta get a load more bones and experiment! If only the KS ones would get in the store soon!