Sign in to follow this  
catdancer

Grenadier...Frost Giant (Fantasy Miniature)...# 3503

post-11942-0-01955200-1374978698_thumb.jpgpost-11942-0-90344000-1374978639_thumb.jpgpost-11942-0-74916800-1374978590_thumb.jpgpost-11942-0-28029800-1374978535_thumb.jpg

Since I am currently busy painting some older miniature (vintage, if you will) figures; I decided to take a piece from my private collection showcase and post it. This is the male Frost Giant by Grenadier (circa 1985). When I started painting miniature figures about 18 months ago; this was the 2nd figure that I selected to paint. I think this is one of the most beautiful fantasy figures (castings) that I have ever come across and I still love it today.

• Like 20

Nicely done. Still a big fan of blue skinned versions but since he has a blue beard so he'll do.

The armor and leather bands are very sharp looking. The only thing that stands out to me as needing a bit of a touch up is the definition on the axe head. Seems washed out. Some added contrast will make that thing look "sharp". Heh. I made a pun.

Kind of looking forward to repainting a similar version to this stance with some of my newer skills. Now that I think of it, I might even have this one.

So thanks for the impetus. Sadly I have to work instead of paint. :wacko:

• Like 1

Interesting choice for his skin colour, but I think you've painted him well. ::):

Quick question on your basing. Do you base all your minis to match your terrain? Or do you usually creating unique bases inspired by the mini?

• Like 1

Interesting choice for his skin colour, but I think you've painted him well. ::):

Quick question on your basing. Do you base all your minis to match your terrain? Or do you usually creating unique bases inspired by the mini?

I try to keep my bases uniform (as a general rule). With the posted giant; I suggest a frozen plain of tundra with patches of snow and brown grass tufts. I elect not to make special bases for any selected miniatures (creatures or persona) that I paint. To me special bases like lava/fire would require a tabletop that matches the bases...so I try to keep my bases a uniform natural that would suggest a meadow or glen...If the given mini lends itself to a special selected base type; I will consider mounting it on such (mind you, I said consider it).

As far as the skin color goes...the depictions that I have researched show the Frost Giant with human/humanoid skin coloration as opposed to the blue/blueish skin tone at a ratio of about 14 to 1. He is just a human (although a giant) living in the cold vast wilderness of the ice lands...but he is not a creature/monster...just a very large human male.

That same rule (to me) also applies to the female Frost Giant from the same set.

Edited by catdancer

Beautiful rendition of an old classic ? Is the frost giant chick next?

She is in the works, but there are a few figures ahead of her...but sometime before Thanksgiving...if all goes well.

I still have this one on a shelf in my room, although I only ever got halfway through painting it, back in the days when I was using Testors hobby paints, lol...

I also have the female, one of my all-time favorite minis, but I lost the antlers and the head broke off her spear...

This has definitely stirred an urge to dig them both out and contemplate stripping them both and repainting them - with better paints, brushes and thirty more years of experience, lol. I probably won't actually do it, but the urge is there... ::D:

• Like 2

Well this thread made me go dig out my box of these giants too, just to make sure everything was still there. All good. ::):

• Like 1

I still have this one on a shelf in my room, although I only ever got halfway through painting it, back in the days when I was using Testors hobby paints, lol...

I also have the female, one of my all-time favorite minis, but I lost the antlers and the head broke off her spear...

This has definitely stirred an urge to dig them both out and contemplate stripping them both and repainting them - with better paints, brushes and thirty more years of experience, lol. I probably won't actually do it, but the urge is there... ::D:

Do it

Do it

Do it

Do it

• Like 1