White haze from diluted black wash

jpowers

So, I'm getting back in to mini painting with the Bones Kickstarter. Prior experience is GW minis and paints, was quite some time ago, and I was not particularly good anyway, so now I'm trying to learn again.

I basecoated with undiluted paint as per forum recommendations (after washing the mini). How well this worked seemed to vary between paints and/or minis.

I then diluted Black Wash (MSP) 1:2 with water.

When it dried, it had formed what looks like a lot of white haze.

post-9447-0-81184400-1375026726_thumb.jpg

post-9447-0-05913400-1375026729_thumb.jpg

I'm not sure what this is and what I'm doing wrong here. Any thoughts?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

TBH, I don't know for certain sure it's a hard water problem, just that that seems most likely.

How fast do your pipes and dishes get filmy? Some places have really hard water.

Where I live it's moderately hard from limestone, but even our tap water doesn't produce white bits like that.

I hear in the southeastern US there's a lot of calcium in the water which could cause that effect.

It's hard to tell. I haven't looked at the inside of my pipes, and I'd rather not. (Ignorance is bliss.) People claim that hot water heaters develop lime deposits pretty fast here. I'll pick up a little bit on glasses now and then, but otherwise it's hard to tell. I think by numbers, the water isn't particularly hard. (Low 100s ppm calcium ion according to the water report.)

It's the only theory I've heard so far, and it sounds possible, so I'll give using distilled water a shot. If anyone else has alternate theories please chime in!

I suppose the only real cost is stripping the few minis that have been ruined by this with Simple Green and starting over. Well worth it if the problem gets solved, a real headache if it doesn't.

• Artists

Your paint doesn't look too thick, I think you'd be fine to just repaint over it instead of having to strip.

I also think trying distilled water is a good starting point for trying to solve the problem.

Excessively thinning your paint with water could allow the pigments, matting agents, and other fillers to come out of suspension and separate. If this black color uses an iron oxide (mars) black, that could be sinking into the crevices while other components like talc or kaolin clay might float to the surface and remain visible when the wash dries.

• Like 4

Excessively thinning your paint with water could allow the pigments, matting agents, and other fillers to come out of suspension and separate. If this black color uses an iron oxide (mars) black, that could be sinking into the crevices while other components like talc or kaolin clay might float to the surface and remain visible when the wash dries.

It's a lot more about this. Certain paints will fall out of solution leaving the vehicle and binder on top. This can happen with older bottles of black paint more often.