pinning

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It also helps to have an adjustable clamp to hold your mini. I found one that suctions to the table and has rubber to hold the mini without damaging it. I don't recall the brand, I found it at my LGS for around $10-15 though.

It comes it handy for sawing and filing too.

Really though, I just want an little Dremel for my birthday.

I had been quite intimidated by the thought of pinning, but it doesn't look as bad as I'd feared.

It *is* intimidating, and it isn't as bad. I was bothered by the idea as well. It's something you just have to dive into.

I've pinned a number of miniatures now and feel much more casual about it. The pin vises drill rather slowly, so it is pretty easy to keep the hole where you want it and actually damaging the mini is unlikely. The one area where I'm still iffy is with really tiny tiny pieces; maybe just need to find smaller bits, but drilling into really tiny bits spooks me.

As a suggestion for folks clipping wire and having the small end fire across the room - hold the wire down into a drinking cup and then clip it. The small piece will fire straight down to the bottom of the cup and will rattle around. I've never lost one doing it that way. :bday:

For pinning into very small pieces, you do, indeed need a very small bit. But to start the hole, I recommend using the tip of a sharp, new #11 blade to make a dimple where you want the hole (especially true with metal minis). It will reduce the chance of the bit slipping before you get a real start on a hole.

The other tip for drilling metal is to use a small amount of a light machine oil like 3-in-1 on the bit. The bit will cut faster, be less likely to bind and break, and will last longer.

• Like 3

I use this ball type Pin Vise. Can't beat the price (even has free shipping). It works well and is very comfortable in the hand. If you add the Dremel 4486 MultiPro Keyless Chuck you'll likely never find a nicer tool for hand pinning (it really secures these tiny drill bits). Amazon also has the P3 Pinning Expansion: .85mm and the .50mm as well. I find the .50mm is really to small to see much use but the .85 is great for hands, arms, legs or weapons. The 1.25mm expansion is a nice size for more robust pinning. Any extra large pinning can be done with cut pieces from a clothes hanger.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.