Working with Rolf the Bones Werewolf - Sharing Some Lessons Learned & Seeking Advice

RLF

• Artists

I just figured he might be more comfortable being painted during his favourite time. ;->

It's possible that there's just something fluky and weird about Rolf. Have you tried working with any of your Kickstarter Bones yet?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A couple of pointers. When cleaning your Bones use Dawn dish soap. I've found that it really preps the surface well. Second I've found high vinyl content paints have trouble sticking to Bones. Vallejo and GW are prime offenders. GW is the worse of the two. Third use a handle when you paint. Finally you can seal your finished product with varnish as usual.

I just figured he might be more comfortable being painted during his favourite time. ;->

It's possible that there's just something fluky and weird about Rolf. Have you tried working with any of your Kickstarter Bones yet?

The Kickstarter Bones? No, I was waiting until I finished experimenting with Rolf first. I have started on a Bones Great Worm with better results so far, but I've been using different methods on it.

Hmmm... maybe I can field a stripped and unpainted Rolf as a timber werewolf? :)

• Artists

I would try some of your Kickstarter Bones. Rolf seems to be atypical in some fashion. I'd be interested to have you try one or two of those to see if the same thing happens. My guess is it won't, so then you won't have to worry as much about solving the problem of Rolf.

I've been having an interesting time learning how to work with Bones. Fortunately, there is plenty of information available online. Unfortunately, sorting out that information is little tricky. Different people report different results when using the same materials and methods. So I decided to do a little experimentation before tackling that big pile of miniatures that showed up at my door early this month.

My first attempt was awhile back and used a Reaper Bones Werewolf that I brought for that purpose (this was months before my Kickstarter package showed up). I applied the paint directly to the surface as a base coat. The paint failed to bond with the miniature, producing patchy areas. The paint started coming off with a little rubbing with my finger. My thumbnail scraped the paint right off. A completed paint job would not have survived normal storage and handling, much less time on the tabletop. At the time, I suspected that I didn't do a good enough job cleaning it before painting.

I documented the second try on my blog, but here is the short version. The remains of the first attempt was removed with Simple Green. The miniature then got a through washing with dish soap. No primer. Two layers of paint failed to provide good coverage, although it was better than the first attempt. A day later, I noticed some familiar looking patches. Again, the paint came off easily. Again, the paint job would not have survived normal use.

I don't have any problems with my other 28 painted bones miniatures. BUT I had yesterday a mini I painted without cleaning it. I had the same problems.

1. Coverage of the paint is bad (this time my brush was not wet before I put paint on it.)

2. Some of the colors come of if I rubbing with my finger over it, but only some areas with the paints are coming of.

One reason would be that I didn't clean the miniature.

I used a yellow vallejo color on my kobolds, I didn't clean them, too. But they have no problems. But this is no proof. The Kobolds were only lucky guys.

Another important reason could be that I used a new (reaper) paint. And I think I didn't shake it long enough!

If a paint is new or not used for a few days (or even few hours), it is better to shake it 2-3 minutes!

A couple of pointers. When cleaning your Bones use Dawn dish soap. I've found that it really preps the surface well. Second I've found high vinyl content paints have trouble sticking to Bones. Vallejo and GW are prime offenders. GW is the worse of the two. Third use a handle when you paint. Finally you can seal your finished product with varnish as usual.

Interesting. I always considered Coat d'Arms a high vinyl paint, but that stuff glues right onto Bones like nothing else. But I have discovered that my old Reaper Pro Paint Dragon Black, across all bottles, does not adhere to Bones well at all. It instantly rubs or flakes off. So far that's the only one, though. Could be many factors for it in that case, so I've just noted this weird behaviour and not to use it as a base.