Sign in to follow this  
Bonwirn

Painting a Starhawk V questions....

I received my Starhawk from Reaper and was wondering what tips you guys might have for assembly and painting. I am probably going to pin the arms, but was wondering if folks painted the pieces and them assembled or assembled and the painted? When I dry fit the pieces, it looked like the side of the cockpit and nose assembly would be hard to paint with the Gatling guns on the side. Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Definitely pin the missile pod! I've got a 'Hawk V that's missing it's pod after a move because it wasn't pinned. I usually assemble the torso and legs, and paint the arms separately, but IIRC the Starhawk V has kind of a tricky undercut on the bottom of the torso with the legs attached.

Thanks for the quick responses! I saw the undercut that you mentioned. Will probably end up painting four pieces and pinning them, even the torso to the legs. Planning on a parade paint scheme, nothing to aggressive, as this will be only the third mini I have painted this year since getting back into the hobby. Last mini before that was lead soldiers in the early 80's... So it's been a while.

• Like 1

If you haven't already, check my blog out. I have a page there with all my CAV pictures. Mostly table top quality, but might be helpful.

Thanks Sergeant! I like the pictures and you do a wonderful job painting!

I have the legs primed and the other components drilled and pinned. Just need to finish priming the torso, arms and pod, then start painting. Not sure on paint scheme, but I am thinking either green/tan or blue/tan (primary/accent). I am rebuilding my Battletech/CAV pieces after selling off all my Battletech stuff years ago. Decided to go with CAV due to less complex rules and will be playing with the kids. Will need to get more, of course, just wanted to test my hand on one to see how well I can paint them.

Also looking for a Bones line coming out for CAV pieces. A portion of a Kickstarter would do wonders to my CAV collection as well... *hint*

My crystal ball is predicting a second KS for the first quarter of next year. My belief will be it will be focused on Warlord with forays into CAV and the Gunslingers, to open up Reapers gaming systems. It is great to provide minis for other people's games, but several companies have shown an increase in sales when the minis are tied to a solid game system. Please reference Mantic's last three Kickstarters, which altogether were less than Reapers, but have increased from a couple hundred thousand to over 1.2 million for the last one.

THen again, if my crystal ball actually worked... I would win the Powerball Lottery tomorrow night...

open up Reapers gaming systems. It is great to provide minis for other people's games, but several companies have shown an increase in sales when the minis are tied to a solid game system.

Both CAV and Warlord were originally launched this way back in the early/mid-2000's. In both cases Reaper decided that the profits of running a game system didn't surpass the profits of being the top "generic" miniatures company. I can't fault them for that.

Please reference Mantic's last three Kickstarters, which altogether were less than Reapers, but have increased from a couple hundred thousand to over 1.2 million for the last one.

And there's the rub. Reaper made 3x that with their system-independent minis (that sounds less insulting than "generic") so why would they want to do something that makes less money?

Edited by Chrome

And I don't want this to develop into another argument, but CAV has not has the most stable of histories. Reaper makes money on figures, not games that are consistently in development hell.

Ugggggggggh! After several coats of paint... Brush strokes galore! He is now sitting in a simple green bath and the air brush is coming out.

Sorry, should've mentioned this before. With the large flat areas most CAVs have you really need to thin your paints if you don't want brush strokes. This however will significantly increase the time to paint as more layers of paint are needed for a solid coat. Using a wash on them can be a pain in the butt too because depending on how heavily you apply the wash you can end up with it pooling on the flat spots. Had I known you had an airbrush I would have told you to start with that.

yea though I walk through the valley of futility.... After painting several of the Hirst Arts Sci-Fi pieces, I should have known to base coat with the air brush. I was just wanting to have the breaks between plates be a golden brown and the plates themselves be a medium green. So I small brushed the thin lines in, sort of like black lining, and was painting the green over top. I thinned the paint way more than I ever have before, and was four or five coats to get the coverage... and each coat caused more brush strokes... which I hoped I could thin the next layer thinner and cover them... which only made them more pronounced :( Oh well, going to chalk this one up to Lessons Learned and try again!