Bases

kyshwn

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm now a man with a mission . I need two things (but would by around $60) from a online retailer in Canada

ArmsKeeper Bases: 25mm Round Slotted Bases Mega Pack (80) ($7.99). X2

Army painter primer Skelton bone

Bye the way , thanks again for the shipping offers I friggin love reaper!

I know most of the vampire minis would fit on a 30mm round lipped base,

FYI, not exactly what you were asking, but it has been my experience that alot of Bones Won't fit neatly on the 30mm RL Reaper/Privateer style bases. The big lip means that the actual basing area is exactly the same as a 25mm GW slotta. Many of the figures stand wider than that so you are looking at quite a bit of overlap.

I recommend 30mm rounds from either Proxie models or GW style 30mm rounds from EM4. Both types have more basing area than a RL/PP style 30mm RL base.

25mm Squares are another option as you can base diagonally, but you don't appear to be interested in square bases.

Eilif,

Thanks for that info, that helps me a lot actually. I tend to like the aesthetics of round bases over square, and I like the aesthetics of the lipped over unlipped. But if the bases for the figures don't fit well, then I may just go with one of the 30mm non-lipped or square. I'll try it all out and see what fits best.

The other option is to trim off some of the base if necessary I suppose.

But, like you said, not exactly what I was asking but definitely good information to have, so thanks!

I reject the idea of spending more on bases than I did on the mini's themselves!

Same here. Best prices I've seen mentioned around here seem to be:

1" round : http://www.learningresources.com/product/two-color+counting+chips.do?sortby=ourPicks&sortby=&&refType=1 400 for $10 if you split them with a sharp knife

1.5 & 40mm round : Poker Chips. Cheap ridged are usually 1.5", Semi-pricey 'clay' are generally 40mm.

75MM : Lid from a can of food, cut by a fancy side cutting can opener.

The Chinese sellers of the look alike GW bases are not that bad either 100 for $13 US, Free worldwide shipping.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Warhammer-Fantasy-25mm-Round-Close-Base-x-100-PCS-Version-3-0-/221261245305?pt=Games_US&hash=item338432ab79

Edited by scorpio616

Oh frpgames got back to me , $60 order and $30 shipping! Ouch! Back to the drawing board

Meeplemart.com for Canada looks good but the 25mm base pack is out of stock, typical !

@mist sadly not going to gencon , I wish!

I just popped by the FRP site, and for fun I queued up an order for 2 of the 80-count 25mm round base packs. Shipping to Calgary rang up at $8 for my $16 order ($24 total) if I chose Standard Airmail. FWIW, $8 is not all that bad, but I think their shipping calculator just does 50% of your order and charges that as shipping. Not sure why your order was $60 if all you bought were 2x80x25mm bases and a can of spray paint.

Meeplemart charges $16 flat for shipping, and their prices are +25% more expensive for the bases ($10 each). Total order would run at $36 in this case.

Just comparing the total cost at those two sites, FRP is 15c per base, and MM is 22.5c per base. Plus because they're slotted you now need to fill the slot. Just as a reference, a 1-inch fender washer @ HomeDepot runs about 22c each, or ~14c each if you buy by the box (50+). You don't need to fill them either if you keep the Bonesium bases on the minis as they'll cover the hole, AND they're compatible with magnetic markers!

Given that my Bones only cost ~40c each, I will probably just mount them on washers. Although, if I could pick up some other supplies from MeepleMart to lower the relative shipping cost, then maybe their bases would become economical.

• Like 1

I've been looking here for bases:

http://www.litko.net

They have all sorts of bases (square, rect., circular, hex, oct, ovals, pills, slotted)

in all sorts of sizes (15, 20, 25, 30, 40, 45, 50, 60, 70, 80, 90, 100, 120, 150 all mm)

They do lots of 100 for $16 (30mm circle, for example, 3mm plywood)

They also have flocking material and such

I've been looking here for bases:

http://www.litko.net

They have all sorts of bases (square, rect., circular, hex, oct, ovals, pills, slotted)

in all sorts of sizes (15, 20, 25, 30, 40, 45, 50, 60, 70, 80, 90, 100, 120, 150 all mm)

They do lots of 100 for $16 (30mm circle, for example, 3mm plywood)

They also have flocking material and such

I looked at Litko too. For 100x25mm bases @ 3mm (seems kind of thick), they want $12. For 1.5mm thick, the cost is $20, and for 0.8mm thick, the price is $11.

Shipping for a single pack of 100 was pretty fair at $12, so $24 for 100 3mmx25mm bases, or 24c each. If I ordered 200, the shipping barely changed, so the order was $36 total, or 18c each. With a few more items in your basket, you could probably drive down the shipping overhead even further.

However, IMO there's 2 downsides to using wood bases vs washers. First, Bones are light weight and washers help weigh them down a bit. Second, washers are ferrous, so they work with magnetic markers if you have or ever plan to get any. Given that, plus that the wood discs were about the same price as washers, plus that I could just pop down to Home Despot to have my bases immediately, I just decided to go with the washers.

I am really digging some of Litko's token sets though (the WarHorse tokens, and the Door tokens), they really seem like they'd be handy.

• Like 1

Eilif,

Thanks for that info, that helps me a lot actually. I tend to like the aesthetics of round bases over square, and I like the aesthetics of the lipped over unlipped. But if the bases for the figures don't fit well, then I may just go with one of the 30mm non-lipped or square. I'll try it all out and see what fits best.

The other option is to trim off some of the base if necessary I suppose.

But, like you said, not exactly what I was asking but definitely good information to have, so thanks!

Glad to help.

If you haven't already, take a look at the proxie bases. They have a lip, but it's much smaller.

• Like 1

I looked at Litko too. For 100x25mm bases @ 3mm (seems kind of thick), they want $12. For 1.5mm thick, the cost is $20, and for 0.8mm thick, the price is $11.

Just so folks know, 3mm is the same height as the GW slottas. For some folks that will be a good thing, for others that will be a real turn-off. One nice thing about the smaller sizes of LItko bases is that they make magnetic base bottoms that can be attached so you don't get a really high base.

I actually prefer the tall 3mm GW style bases. The Proxie bases are 2mm high but I buy some of them as well because they're so darn cheap and the lip looks nice..

• Like 1