Bones Successes and Failures: What formally metal minis translated the best?

I am still kicking myself for not picking up the Bones Kickstarter, but I have managed to pick a few of them up off friends and a store that bought them to sell.

There are some that I feel did not translate over, then there are those that look awesome. Right now I am working on

http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/female%20dwarf/sku-down/14085

http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/male%20dwarf%20klocke%20axe/sku-down/02811

You would not even know they are bones till you pick them up.

On the other hand I could not even paint

http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/female%20pirate/sku-down/03632

and the female with the severed dragon head had no details at all to speak of.

So I am curious, which one do you think came out as the best.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting you mention the dragonslayer, because mine is the mini that impressed me most of all.

Could be a consistency issue.

ETA; I just dug her out and checked her agains the Janan painted example on the Kickstarter Bones insert and all her details are present. Right down to scale mail, fiddly buckles, and crown. But she is ridiculously tiny so I might have a lucky good version. I dunno. I have a lot to paint right now, when it thins a bit I'll paint her up and see.

Mostly things seem to have crossed over pretty good. A few models have face issues that were noted, and a couple have structural stability issues. But the overwhelming majority of models came out as good as, or IMO in many cases much better, than the First 29.

I have face issue and stability issue new Bones, which does shower on my funtimes a bit, but balancing that out I am super incredible amazing holy crap impressed with lots of the new arrivals. Blown away.

Edited by buglips*the*goblin
  • Like 5

The best were the minis that were a bit stocky, or had parts that never thinned below about 0.7-1.0mm. Daggers and outstretched swords seemed to be problematic for bending.

I haven't had enough time to really give a good look over all the minis, but in general they appear to not have lost any appreciable amount of detail. I did notice that Alice Stone doesn't have a nose though.

Also, minis that had two of anything and came unassembled seemed to not have a complete set (many complaints of two left legs, two right legs, two left wings, etc). I suspect this is a byproduct of having Chinese laborers uncaringly toss together 18000 orders.

I've got to be honest I was skeptical about the material, but I find the detail on them amazing. Haven't tried removing molds lines yet but they do look like they wont come off as cleanly as plastic or metal. As Buglips has said some structural issues haven't been considered for the off balance ones, but overall I'm very impressed I actually think some of the painted examples in the shop do not do the actual miniatures justice.

Edited by talion78
  • Like 1

I checked half of my vampire box, and most a very good.

Very few details are hard to recognised, like the medusas hair. The Snakeheads looks little less detailed. But it is soo small.

One of my Nova Corp Minis has one not detailed ear.

The one gas from the IMEF Flamethrower is dented.

IMEF Soldier with the gatling-like weapon has some detail loss at the muzzle holes.

Most big miniatures looks ok, nothing unusual seen.

I'm still happy with my Bones. I've painted 22 1/2 Bones since last Friday. Ok, most missing highlights and few error corrections, but for gaming they are ok. I think I will do more highlights only during friday sessions with my friends. So I cannot run away from the highlights... (Oh, there is something in the internet, I must answer an email, I want to sleep, ...)

And you know, once stabilized Deathsleet is a very awesome mini. After fitting it to the undead giant's stolen base (may we forever remember his sacrifice) I felt compelled to start work. Couldn't resist.

And the Jabberwock looks awesome, just have to figure out how to tame his rebellious nature.

My Wyrmgear may have stability issues side to side as I've modified the wings to angle outwards, which I think will prove too much for his 3-point stance. I think my solution will be two cavalry bases, one joining the rear legs and one starting from the planted front leg and continuing inwards underneath the raised leg. For extra stability I might use metal ones.

• Like 1

I think, part of the problem also, is that in this initial batch...there may have been some quality control issues that make it hard to tell whether something is a casting issue or an inherent issue with plastic vs metal. That being said, there are certainly some models with thin weapons that will require a bit of fiddling or weapon transplanting to avoid bendy sword syndrome.

• Like 2

The only ones I have had trouble with are the two candelabras. That, out of the entire Vampire box.

So I replaced the bendy shafts with small wooden dowels, and have had no trouble at all since.

• Like 1

See, my candleabras are fine.

There does seem to be a consistency discrepancy, but it's still early to tell. Given how taxed the manufacturing capacity was, it's not horribly unlikely that a machine used to cast an intentionally soft batch might have the hopper reloaded for a different batch and give us a variance in material. I don't know enough about the process to say anything certain on that.

We know some stuff is intentionally different, and we all have the same stuff the same way. But some other stuff seems to be subject to variance.

Part of it might be packing. There were a lot of minis crammed into that vampire box, which may have increased the opportunity for warping.

That being said, on a quick inspection I noticed that figures that are thick where they attach to the bases seem less prone to bent-at-the-ankles syndrome. I have a bunch of skeletons that will at least need a boiling treatment if not additional help to stand up on their bases., but guys that are thick at the bottom tend not to display that problem.

Aside from a messed up hand on one of the klocke females (I think it was the dark elf queen) and the missing nose on the not-tiefling paladin, I'd say they came out well-formed and properly detailed.

Obviously, I'd have preferred to not have any gripes at all, but as it stands, I definitely prefer this gripe to, say, an extremely malformed Kaladrax.