Bones Successes and Failures: What formally metal minis translated the best?

Despite the initial softness of my pathfinder goblins, the detail on them blows me away. They're astoundingly cute and evil, and for being so tiny they have tons of detail.

I'm also impressed and pleased with Seltyiel. He retained all the cool details of the metal version.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Despite the initial softness of my pathfinder goblins, the detail on them blows me away. They're astoundingly cute and evil, and for being so tiny they have tons of detail.

I'm also impressed and pleased with Seltyiel. He retained all the cool details of the metal version.

My goblins were also softest of the whole box. They seem to be entirely different material. Trying to paint the torches or swords was a pain as the material just slips away underneath your brush... Boiling and cooling them strenghtened the material for a while, but now they're as soft as ever. That said, the level of detail is very good and the sculpts are among my favourites! Which is the only reason I think I'm going to try and get replacements for my goblin warriors (only got pyros).

• Like 1

The gryphon in particular is a fantastic example of the quality possible with Bones. I'm not really sure why you would go metal for that model now. If all the minis came out that quality, I would have no qualms about recommending Bones as a superior material to metal.

The softer minis aren't as incredible, but in general are great for the price.

The real disappointments are the few minis missing noses and ears etc. That will, I am sure, be sorted now that reaper can control the maintenance of the equipment and presumably experiment a bit.

I've just been using needle files and a thin pocket knife (if a mold line is on the outside edge of an object, you can shave it right off). Once you've scraped/filed, use a can of compressed air in combination with a toothbrush to blast all the little bits that are still hanging on.

It's been working pretty well but it's not quite as "easy" as pewter. Still, the hardest part has been trying to find the mold lines in the first place.

• Like 1

those precision plastic sanding needles..anyone know a store in Canada that sells them?

Finding someone that ships these internationally... I too would love to know. I don't really want to pay 4x the price of the needles to get them to me by going through my reshipper.

I've been using some needle files that I already had. I don't know the brand, but they are the kind of needle files that you'd buy from a hardware store (I believe that mine may have come from an auto store originally) and they come in a little plastic... screw it, google images to the rescue. They look like this:

needlefiles.jpg

And they seem to work just fine. I think the more common hobby files, like the kind you'd get from Gale Force Nine for example. are too rough. What you really need is just something with a fine grade (I think that's the right word).

• Like 2

Out of all my stuff, the Undead Horde is the worst. Bent all to heck. Waiting on them to un-bend/naturally bend back now for over two weeks. The rest I am alright with. But they all seem a little small. Especially the Undead Horde.

The larger stuff is nice though. Dig the larger stuff.

I've been using some needle files that I already had. I don't know the brand, but they are the kind of needle files that you'd buy from a hardware store (I believe that mine may have come from an auto store originally) and they come in a little plastic... screw it, google images to the rescue. They look like this:

needlefiles.jpg

And they seem to work just fine. I think the more common hobby files, like the kind you'd get from Gale Force Nine for example. are too rough. What you really need is just something with a fine grade (I think that's the right word).

Awesome! That is the exact same package of needle files I own. (I got mine from a model hobby shop).

One thing I have noticed owning mostly GW miniatures is the difference in scale, a Reaper character looks tiny against a GW one. Damn those pesky heroic scale kids.

The Bones version of minis I already have in metal seem a bit smaller than I remember their metal counterparts being, but I haven't put them side by side to compare yet.