Bones Successes and Failures: What formally metal minis translated the best?

Hmmm... I just noticed that the company (Frontline Hobbies) I bought my sanding files from in Australia is now out of stock in both fine and coarse... could it have something to do with Bones? Considering they were the slightly cheaper of 2 places I found online that sell them in Australia, I wouldn't be surprised...

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Does everyone's Anvall Thricedamned have a curved axe haft? I thought it was appropriate asking here seeing as how the axe was originally in metal.

I have tried boiling it to straighten it, but it seemed to stay in that shape so I kind of assume that it's meant to be like that. I found this post http://www.reapermini.com/forum/index.php?/topic/44710-anvall-thricedamned-how-big/?p=618698 that had a photo which seems to show a curved haft, but I just want to double check with all the other good folk.

Interestingly, there are several figures that we ourselves felt did not translate successfully. Those figures, while included in rewards as promised (including Undertaker/retail pledges), will not be released to distribution.

I don't have the list in front of me, but thought you all might be pleased to hear that we did a critical evaluation and are pre-canceling several items because they consistently do not meet our quality standards.

Interestingly, there are several figures that we ourselves felt did not translate successfully. Those figures, while included in rewards as promised (including Undertaker/retail pledges), will not be released to distribution.

I don't have the list in front of me, but thought you all might be pleased to hear that we did a critical evaluation and are pre-canceling several items because they consistently do not meet our quality standards.

That seems reasonable. That bones material is great and I personally feel that bulkier minis are great for it. The familiars though, didn't do so well. They're just too small.

The really odd thing is that there will be great, tiny details on one figure, but then on another some of the details will be lost (like noses). I don't know if that is a quality control thing, a learning curve thing, or a problem with a molds. Hopefully it can be addressed in the future. Maybe as the bones material becomes more familiar sculpts will be made to accommodate the special problems of the molding process and we won't see things like this anymore.

I'm just happy to have so many dragons and giants that are so lite! ^_^

Edited by redambrosia
  • Like 2

I would be very interested in seeing the list of what will not be released for retail. I had plans to do deliberately ridiculous paint jobs for some that didn't come out as wonderfully and then just order new ones later, but it sounds like it might not always work out for me.

• Like 1

The familiars though, didn't do so well. They're just too small.

Personally, and speaking as a non-minis-hobbyist, I like the familiars. They're tiny, but I expected that. I was planning on buying multiple packs to have a pack of dogs, flocks of bats and birds, a bunch of cats, etc. I'm hoping they aren't among the cancelled items.

Edited by jlblack
  • Like 1

I would be very interested in seeing the list of what will not be released for retail.

Eh? As far as I know, the only one who won't be available retail is Mr. Bones - and even that may be incorrect.

I think he's talking about the ones Reaperbryan says will be canceled. I suppose that means the ones already made or in Undertaker orders will end up in retail stores, but after that, they won't be available - if I'm understanding correctly what Reaperbryan said.

Edited by jlblack

I would be very interested in seeing the list of what will not be released for retail.

Eh? As far as I know, the only one who won't be available retail is Mr. Bones - and even that may be incorrect.

I think he's talking about the ones Reaperbryan says will be canceled. I suppose that means the ones already made or in Undertaker orders will end up in retail stores, but after that, they won't be available - if I'm understanding correctly what Reaperbryan said.

...well, that's what I get for not reading up on the thread...
  • Like 1

Regards the ones that might be cancelled, I wonder if there mightn't be some way to salvage some of the molds? E.g., for the Jabberwock and its droopiness, maybe the plastic just needs more hardener in the ratio (or however it's done that some Bones plastic is softer, and other Bones plastic is harder). Or -- and I realize that this would have its own problems -- maybe it could be fixed with some sort of support piece to help it stand up better (perhaps disguised as a giant mushroom or a broken tree trunk that it's smashing through).

I'd be interested in knowing what's going to be in the cancel list as well; I'm willing to tolerate a bit more trouble in getting a figure to work. (I've wanted a Jabberwock for quite a while, so there's no way I'm giving up on this one! ;) )

Oi, I must see this list! I'm freaking out now! What if the options I wasn't able to afford are cancelled and I can't them!!! IWANTAJABBERWOKYANDACOLOSSALSKELETONDON'TDOTHISTOMEREAPERBRYANTELLMENOOWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by ladystorm
broke the frame
  • Like 3