Bones Successes and Failures: What formally metal minis translated the best?

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Interestingly, there are several figures that we ourselves felt did not translate successfully. Those figures, while included in rewards as promised (including Undertaker/retail pledges), will not be released to distribution.

I don't have the list in front of me, but thought you all might be pleased to hear that we did a critical evaluation and are pre-canceling several items because they consistently do not meet our quality standards.

I'd be super interested in seeing that official list, but I guess we'll all find out once things settle and Bones move to market anyways. Plus, I think I can make a few educated guesses.

FWIW, is Reaper considering altering any of those minis to be more plastic-friendly, or are they just destined to never be released in Bonesium?

I ask, because having seen the quality in my Bones minis, I'll lean heavily towards purchasing Bones in the future. They're perfectly priced, even at retail (thank you for not overcharging for plastic miniatures like a certain other company); 30% of the price for 90% of the quality is a major strength of Bones. So what if Alice Stone doesn't have a nose? Just market her as a Doppelganger/alien gunslinger ^_^. Maybe Lady NoodleStaff can get a weapon swap instead of a (pre)cancellation? I admit though that there are some minis with features that are simply not translatable to plastic, and I appreciate that Reaper is doing QC and assessing what they feel fails to meet their level of satisfaction.

I'd hate for minis to be relegated to some "not to ever be released as Bones" category, especially for minis designed for the tabletop. I know Merisiel has Matrix-effect problems because she stands on a single foot, but given she's Pathfinder I believe the mini has a market as Bones. Could she be re-based to reconcile stability issues?

Just my 2c; I'm trying to look for alternatives. I'd rather not see any models cancelled, because, well, I want more!...and I don't think I'm alone in thinking that.

• Like 3

Interestingly, there are several figures that we ourselves felt did not translate successfully. Those figures, while included in rewards as promised (including Undertaker/retail pledges), will not be released to distribution.

I don't have the list in front of me, but thought you all might be pleased to hear that we did a critical evaluation and are pre-canceling several items because they consistently do not meet our quality standards.

Bryan asked me to share the list of five.

I did try to match up the part numbers using the website search feature to little success and am on a limited time frame, so I'll let yall run rampant with them instead...

• Like 2

I remember being disappointed with how my Juliette turned out, actually, particularly her outstretched hand. Drago Voss is unfortunate being one of the sculpts done for the KS, but hopefully he can still be done in metal.

Fingers crossed that the absence from this list of other figures people are having face problems with means that they can still be cast properly.

I haven't heard anyone complain about the colossal skeleton, Red, and despite the droopy issues I think the Jabberwock is safe, too.

Yeah, the Colossal Skeleton is one that I'd assume was safe from cancellation.

I sure hope so, having carved mine up to give Deathsleet a base!

My Bag of Fails has:

Ellen Stone: No Nose

Townsfolk Mom and Kids: Kids might as well be aliens.

Julette: Outstreched Hand has no details

Dita, Steampunk Witch: Face just looks off due to big eyes no real nose.

Veoloth Hellborn Paladin: Another Rhinoplasti case

Mersisal, Iconic Elf Ranger: Face is weak and one of the knives on back is only a sliver.

Berkeley, Zombie Survivor: Really Does not look like she survived

Kyra, Female Cleric: Again with the Nose

Seelah, Female Paladin: Nose and Significant moldlines/pumps down half of face.

Shaeress Nashanneth, Dark Elf Queen: Bumpy Face/Greyscale Infection

Autumn Bronzeleaf: Staff side of Face also all bumpy.

All the other minis seemed to check out as of reasonable conversions. I did not have the Assassin in the bag as he is a horrible mini but I had no metal to compare to so I just assumed that was what he was supposed to look like.

Edited by eriochrome

BTW, I found some sanding files at a local hobby shop (railroads and plastic models, mostly) from a company called Stevens International. Doesn't look like they do direct sales, though.

Hi,

Steven's International is a hobby distributor. They sometimes repack product from manufacturer's they carry and add their own name to it. Most hobbyshops that can get in plastic models probably buy from Steven's (I used to work in a hobby shop).

That being said, files should be availble at most hobby or art stores. I got a 12pc set in the art section of my University (now some 15yrs ago...!)

Damon.