I've recently acquired a horde of minis from the 1970's. I've striped the paint off and was wondering if there was a method or product to use to stain the miniatures instead of repainting them.

My reasons for not wanting to paint them are I really want to showcase them as a historical item, not display my painting skill.

Also some of the sculpting is poor compared to what you can get today, so I'm almost thinking that some not worth the time investment of painting them. Those are the ones I'm wanting to stain.

and the reason why I don't want to leave them as is because I don't want them to oxidize (rust).

Any suggestion or advice would be most appreciated.
Cliff

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As long as they are open to the air pewter and lead miniatures are not very likely to oxidize. The conditions for this to occur need to be fairly specific. As long as you don't mount them on wood and seal them in a container they won't oxidize. There are several long threads about that here in the forums, so staining them isn't necessary to safeguard them from oxidizing. We commonly refer to this in miniatures as lead rot. Here is one of the shorter threads, but there are a fair number of others.

http://www.reapermini.com/forum/index.php?/topic/41632-prepping-lead-mini-questions/

Edited by Heisler

And you might need to be careful, the best route I would expect would be to seal them with something that acted a bit like Army Painter Dip, which is a polyurethane clear with tint in it so it shades the miniature like a wash, while sealing it. BUT please research Lead Rot thoroughly, there is a museum site on the subject, as there was a question over polyurethane straight onto lead.

Anyway, short version is that a slightly tinted clear coat applied as a wash might do it, but please research it properly before committing.

Another route might be a clear matte sealer, followed by a tinted transparent wash, and then a sealer over the top once dried.

EDIT: the wash will help bring up the details.

Edited by smokingwreckage

A black wash will get a similar effect as the shoe polish. I once bought a batch of miniatures that had all been based, spray painted gold and washed black. They actually looked pretty cool as display pieces.

Of course that's not what I bought them for so they were quickly deposited in my vat of purple power.

If you're really worried about air contact or durrability, you could use Minwax Polyshades Tudor. It will give you a shade/stain, and a nice protective coat of polyurethane. I'm a lazy painter so I use it as a "brush-dip" on most of my painted miniatures. The "Tudor" is the only color in the line with a translucent Black tint. The other shades are brown and probably no what you are looking for if dealing with bare metal.

Thank you everyone.

And I know of Army Painter's dip but this is the first I've heard of using woodworking products such as Miniwax Polyshades Tudor or other tinted polyurethane to have the same effect. And I'm an 'above average' woodworker so its just really neat that I learned something today.

The Army Painter dips are nothing more than rebranded polyurethane stains.

Edit: This makes me want to go make something out of wood and use one of the Army Painter dips on it so I can tell people I shaded with Strong Tone.

Edited by Sergeant_Crunch
  • Like 1

Edit: This makes me want to go make something out of wood and use one of the Army Painter dips on it so I can tell people I shaded with Strong Tone.

Well, it is about twice the price, so that should make your wood sculpture better .. somehow.

^_^

• Like 1