Sign in to follow this  
catdancer

Salvage wharf workshop...(Nostalgic modern day)

post-11942-0-21542600-1375297355_thumb.jpgpost-11942-0-84676200-1375297259_thumb.jpgpost-11942-0-77899100-1375297174_thumb.jpgpost-11942-0-21200400-1375297088_thumb.jpgpost-11942-0-72595000-1375297006_thumb.jpgpost-11942-0-57634000-1375296907_thumb.jpgpost-11942-0-34422600-1375296804_thumb.jpgpost-11942-0-94686300-1375296709_thumb.jpgpost-11942-0-27482100-1375296623_thumb.jpgpost-11942-0-54278500-1375296539_thumb.jpgpost-11942-0-41753900-1375296465_thumb.jpgpost-11942-0-90984000-1375296393_thumb.jpgpost-11942-0-24365700-1375296334_thumb.jpg

Having spent my youthful summer vacations from school at places like Vaca Key, Breton Sound and Alazan Bay; I learned a great deal about boat repair and salvage work by doing all kinds of jobs at small wharves and deep sea salvage firms.

This piece is from those youthful days and memories...It is 98% completely scratch built (example: the paint cans are drinking straws...the hot water heater is a cigar tube...the sink is fashioned out of heated plastic sheet...the coffee pot, fry pan and other items are made from sheet lead...and so on. The non-scratch built items are all parts from my extensive parts box.

This is another piece that allowed me extensive usage of my term " organized chaos "...I have been working on this piece (off and on) for about 3 years...maybe one day I will finish it...but until then, each time I take it out and work on it...it brings back those youthful memories of yesteryear.

There is a secondary building that goes with this piece (no interior detail...just exterior) that I will post later today or in the next few days.

Hope that you will enjoy viewing both of these pieces of nostalgic memorabilia from the life of Catdancer.

• Like 15

Organized chaos indeed.

All I have left to say is how amazed I am at so much of this being scratch built. All the little details are just incredible!

• Like 1

I think the thing I enjoy most about your diorama work is that you have an excellent eye for small details that dramatically increase the verisimilitude of the scene. Paint rings, stained sink, clipboard, ... they really sell the scene.

• Like 1

To echo those above me, the attention to detail is astounding. From the logos on the various products, to the carefully crafted pipes on the water heater (that even have appropriate joints), to the various layers of leftover paint in the paint tray. Truly incredible work!

• Like 1

Again. Blown away. You're one dedicated dude to even do something like this. I imagine if I started something of this scope it'd take me years and years to finish.

• Like 1

Catdancer - I've watched your wonderful fantasy tabletop scenery threads for a while, but don't think I've ever commented. These last three (nostalgia) are superb.

You can really tell how much effort and care has gone into each of these. I'm loving that every time I look, I find something else that catches my eye. The attention to detail is phenomenal.

Lastly, your weathering techniques are amazing. Keep up the great work! These are really impressive.

• Like 1

Catdancer, this is a brilliant evocation and carefully executed reconstruction of a messy ol' salvage workshop. I love your attention to detail.

Have you shown these to any art or craft gallery owners? I keep thinking these are really appealing, and maybe collectors might be interested in them.

• Like 1

Catdancer, this is a brilliant evocation and carefully executed reconstruction of a messy ol' salvage workshop. I love your attention to detail.

Have you shown these to any art or craft gallery owners? I keep thinking these are really appealing, and maybe collectors might be interested in them.

No I have not Pingo. That suggestion has been made to me in the past...as has putting my materials on e-bay or such other venue...but I am not really interested in the marketing of my pieces. I do thank you for your kind thoughts and suggestion.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By GlenP
      Howdy all,

This is Tamiya's 1/35 scale Sherman Jumbo - a significantly up-armored Sherman tank designed to be at the head of advancing columns and function as an assault tank. Two hundred and fifty-four were built through the spring and summer of 1944 with the first batches hitting the European front in the fall of '44. All were initially armed with a 75mm gun. A number were later converted to the long barrel 76mm gun because it fired a more effective high-velocity anti-tank round. The Sherman Jumbos served through the end of the war in Europe.

Tamiya's kit dates back to 1987 and is based on Tamiya's standard M4A3 Sherman tank issued in the early 80s. Tamiya added a new larger turret, new armor plates for the upper hull sides, and a new glacis plate for the hull front. Unfortunately, they neglected to provide a new and much larger front transmission cover. Numerous reviews have also mentioned the turret shape and size are off, but I've yet to read/hear where it's off or by how much. I spent some time looking over book and interweb pics and the height of the turret might be a bit low. Maybe. I believe the Jumbo is out of production, but the originall M4A3 is still available. Not worry; new, more detailed and more complex Jumbos are available.

I've built a new transmission cover using the old cover as a foundation, then adding sheets and strips of Evergreen .040 plastic to beef it up. The turret height was raised with .030 strips of plastic between the upper and lower turret halves. Additional details were added to the hull and turret - basically anywhere you see white, copper wire, brass, or green putty. I also used a Dremel tool and a small dove-tail cutter to enhance the very prominent hull weld beads. The case transmission cover and the turret sides were coated with liquid glue (in sections) and stippled with a siff wire brush to replicate the cast texture of the real items. You can see the turret texture in the photo.

The pic shows the mocked up upper and lower hull components and the turret, three of the six bogie wheel assemblies (three more on the other side), the mantlet, and turned aluminum gun barrel. Painting next - any color you want as long as it's olive-by-God-drab.

Qs and Cs welcomed; no secrets here...

• By Rat13
      So my daughter just had her first birthday a couple weeks ago and while plenty of people showed up we did end up bringing home a lot of leftovers, dessert in particular. We had about a quarter of a sheet cake and a few cupcakes too. Those cupcakes in particular though had a little something extra, topping each one was a plastic ring. Well I have to admit I couldn't help myself and the wheels started turning.

After maybe a couple hours from start to finish my "Fabulous" guardsmen" now have a "Fabulous" barricade/firing line. With its very large coverage I think this piece may be better suited to Killteam than 40K though.
    • By odinsgrandson
      Here is our current adventuring party for Iron Kingdoms.  We started a new campaign shortly after Reapercon, so I was able to make use of several of the convention minis.
      This party is quite an odd mix of races.  Lately, I've been quite fond of having a semi-cohesive color pallet for our adventuring parties.  The last one I did was all in cold blues, so with this one I went for a very warm pallet.

Lil is an investigator who 'secretly' is a Thamar Advocate.  She's just the stock mini of the vampire hunter from Reapercon (by Bob Ridolfi)

This Pygmie Troll is very fond of hitting things and also alcohol.  He was made by resculpting the head and hands from the Jason Weibe's Dwarf Brewmaster (07015)

Our resident Bone Grinder was made from Bobby Jackson's River Widow (03913).  I only made superficial changes to her (adding a few extra bone-grindy items to her belt).
      ]

For our Trollkin Axe Flinger, it turns out that we already had the perfect mini.  This is the version from the Undercity Board Game.

This Outcast Skorne Bushwacker/Warlock was made by simply head swapping a Malifaux rifleman.

This Lazy Cyclopes (under the command of the Warlock) was a sculpt that I made quite a few years ago.  I showed it off to several sculptors at Gencon, and they all gave me some pointers on things that I could improve on.  Still, I was fond enough of him that I decided to paint him up.

• By Rat13
      Awhile ago I came across a terrain tutorial video about building barrels and thought I'd give it a go. After the initial steps of collecting water bottle/soda lids, gluing them together, and even priming them the project came to a halt. Well after a couple months of staring at a bag of primed bottle caps I finally got back to work. 

The next step in the build was to create an actual lid/opening in the top of the barrel. This required two pieces; it needed a small bead and a slightly larger round piece to glue the bead onto (in the tutorial the builder used small wooden discs they found at a craft store). I knew that my wife already had plenty of beads that would be perfect but that small round disc had me stumped.

That's when I finally remembered that inside my wife's craft bin she had a hole punch. Since I started basing my models and began building a little terrain I've been collecting a lot of random household brick a brack, including baby formula tins and lids. You know where I'm going with this and I think the picture speaks for itself.

Now that I finally had all the pieces I began gluing the discs and beads to the top of the barrels. After a little gunmetal grey I'm pretty impressed with how good they look and how quick they can be made (quick provided you don't spend too much time thinking about a single piece). I placed some Games Workshop barrels behind them for comparison. 

I'm pretty sure this build came from Terrain Tutorial but I'm not positive (I did see the video quite a while ago). Either way I just want to say this wasn't my idea at all, I simply followed the steps I happened to remember from a youtube video I watched so long ago that I can't remember who did it. I'm grateful however for this simple and cheap terrain and will be making a ton of them over the next few days.
    • By catdancer
      PROJECT...Shanty town outhouse (gift for a friend)...

DATA...On August 6, 2014...I displayed a shanty shack that I built as a gift for one of the Reaper members who has become a close friend...this is the outhouse that goes with that shanty shack...My son and I just returned from a luncheon meeting where I delivered both the shanty shack and outhouse.

I really enjoyed building these 2 small pieces and hope that my friend (ub3r) enjoys the final results.

Paul (Catdancer) 
  • Who's Online   32 Members, 1 Anonymous, 32 Guests (See full list)