Brushes, brands

Willen

Hello everybody!

I live in Argentina (south america). Supply of good brushes is non-existent here (I have never seen a W&N7 brush in my life, at any price!). I only got a DaVinci Maestro #0 at about 25 USD at a very big store, and their stock of Kolinski brushes is only that :(

So I am looking at the alternatives, mainly the highly recommended website www.dickblick.com

Unfortunately, Winsor&Newton Series 7 is out of stock for small brushes. So are the DaVinci's. The Raphael 8404 are in stock, but it got mixed reviews (that I read), and it is equal in price to the W&N7, so...

What would your next best choice after the two top brands for Kolinsky brushes?

If not, what "cheap" brushes that can still hold their own (Kolinsky or Sable) would you recommend for a test purchase? For example, does anyone know if the Blick Masterstroke Finest Red Sable Short Handle Round (link) are any good?

Thanks!

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Are the Raphael 8408's out of stock as well? My top choice is the Da Vinci Maestro Series 10 (or is it 11?), but I like the Raphael 8404 and 8408 as well.

Next step down at Dick Blick for me is the Escoda Reserva Kolinsky-Tajmyr brush, but the difference in price is pretty slight.

I'm not a fan of the Winsor & Newton Series 7. I've had bad luck with them: most of the ones that I have must have come from the same bad batch that easily develop split tips.

Ron

I've never used a high end brand brush yet. but I've tried the army painter line, the citadel(shudder) line, and reapers own master series

I found a recommendation mentioned here on the boards about a cheaper alternative to the Winsor&Newton, the Rosemary & Co. Series 33 brush's.

http://www.rosemaryandco.com/watercolour-brushes/pure-kolinsky-sable/pure-kolinsky-pointed

I've been using them for a couple weeks and so far I find them really nice and the best I've used so far..they are nice short handle brushes and have a longer brush head length with a really nice point.

I can't speak for longevity yet..perhaps someone else here can, but I found the price very good even including the shipping from the UK to Canada.I think it worked out to about 7.50 Canadian a brush to buy 4 brushes including shipping costs.

Heres couple pics of the rosemary ones with 2 reaper ones ..you can see the rosemary are shorter handled and the end is slightly narrower for the same size rating but with longer hair..

brushs.jpg

brushs1.jpg

• Like 3

Thanks for all the replies. Bloodydrake, the pics were very informative as well; thanks!

I've heard about the Rosemary brushes and would give them a run, problem is I could not find them online yet along with other options (to save on the shipping and get one to test). I will keep an eye out for them if/when I travel to the States.

The Raphael 8404 are in stock, and I heard mixed things about them but am willing to give them a try since they are supposed to have a high snap, as opposed to the DaVinci I am using at the moment. They are quite pricey thou and I am worried about the recent rises in shipping charges out of the US.

A fellow forum user suggested to look at other retailers in Europe. It was a great suggestion since for me it is the same to take the risk of ordering from the US or Europe. A couple of them have W&N S7 in stock as well, so I might try them out.

How do we feel about Princeton 3050s? They're semi-synth, and "designed for detail work". Saw them at the art supply shop nearby, $5 per brush.

How long is a "working" brush expected to last on average? 10 minis? 50? I suspect a spotter or detail brush would last for virtually forever, but something that is used for base coating for example, how long should a quality brush last?

I use my WNS7s for everything (except drybrushing), I should probably start using my GnG for basecoating. I did finally start mixing paint with a junk brush.

I've painted 20 minis, mostly with the #2, the last 4 mostly with #1...and they're both in like new condition, a year later. I baby them and keep them clean, wash them regularly.

I have settled in on the Da Vinci 1505 brushes as my favorite after trying out one of each brand. Having said that, I do use the WNS7 size 0 that I bought for my testing as well when the longer bristles are needed (than the shorter bristled Da Vinci brushes).

I love the W&N Series 7 - but here's a shopping q. I've seen them around listed as "Water Color" brush. Example:

"Winsor & Newton Series 7 Kolinsky Sable Water Colour Brushes 3/0"

http://www.amazon.com/Winsor-amp-Newton-Kolinsky-Brushes/dp/B0013E68TY/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1375392338&sr=8-8&keywords=Winsor+%26+Newton+Series+7

Is this the same W&N Series 7 that doesn't list "Water Color", or is this a different one? I'm guessing they're the same, but wouldn't want to be let down.

(Also - on that link - the $8.99 isn't bad, at least until you realize how much they want for shipping - yikes!).

• Like 1

To my knowledge (and I'm prepared to be corrected if I have this wrong), there's only one type of W&N Series 7 (if you include Series 7 Mini).

Since you linked to the 3/0, I'll mention that I haven't seen the need for a brush that small since I started using premium brushes. I prefer a #2 for most work and a #0 when I'm trying to reach into a tight space. (I can imagine situations where a smaller brush would be useful, for instance painting between a shield and body, but I try to do those parts of figures first so I don't need a small brush.) Note that I find a #2 to be a fine detail brush even for things like eyes; it's not just for large areas.

Edited by Doug Sundseth
  • Like 1

The brush I use the most right now is a Reaper Master Series #1. I frequently use it for an entire miniature, from base coat to final highlights. It is a Kolinsky sable, and so far I've been using it about a year. Granted I don't print a tremendous volume of miniatures like a lot of people on the boards. Hope this is helpful.

http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/Master%20Series%20Brush/latest/08602

I currently use both the Army Painter brushes as well as Escoda Reserva Kolinsky-Tajmyr brushes, I prefer the Escodas as far as keeping a good point and holding paint but the Army Painters are good as well. I would recoomend either without hesitation.

Edited by prophetic_joe