Sign in to follow this  
Carnacki the Ghost Finder

Is there a Bob Ross of miniature painting?

I admit to talking about where the happy sun is in the sky as I am determining highlight placement. And perhaps talking to the miniature shrubbery that goes on the bases.

Maybe even how Mr. Orc needs to chill out a little bit, and that that perpetual scowl will soon disappear once his armor is finished . . . .

• Like 3

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By WhiteWulfe
      I'm a bit delayed on these photos, as I got distracted by various things but pictures are finally taken, even if there's apparently some dust on them now >.>;;;;

Anyways!  Back in February (Feb 18th to be precise, at least according to messages I'd posted on Discord) I decided I wanted to give speed painting a whirl, in order to try and develop a few techniques that I could then apply to my Skaven horde of doom.  I also wanted to try out a few different mini holders (generic tylenol, as well as Motrin bottles) to see if I'd prefer something like the Mini Holder, or if I could just DIY something, as my current solutions tends to wind up causing my right paw to cramp up after a while, and maneuvering the miniature isn't always the easiest.  Such was partially inspired by the awesome thread @ManvsMini did about custom holders and also a desire to see whether it would be worth splurging on a Hobby Holder with Handle Mod 1.

Short version is that the Motrin bottles won out, although the generic tylenol bottle was handy because it has a lid that spins more easily...  So technically the Hobby Holder would be able to do both, AND give me a brush rest.

Anyways, I'm rambling in a show-off thread....  Originally I'd wanted to do just the one mini, but quickly wound up putting two up so I could directly compare the two bottle types I had on hand.  I think I set my goal at "finish a single mini within two hours", and I'd say I pulled that off, since I managed to do two in 2h10min...  So needless to say, rather happy about that!  Oh, it also morphed into some sort of "less than twelve colours used" and "you can only use one 10-well palette, and once a colour is in one, it's committed" challenges too, both of which I was successful with (11 paints total used, including washes, and I sure wound up using all ten wells too).  Not quite sure why I do such, but eh, it was for fun, and I had fun, which is the most important aspect of it all in my eyes!

^So first up, obvious is Sir Forscale, aka Garrick the Bold...  In Bones.

^And then Juliette, Female Sorceress, also in Bones.

And since I can't resist, yup, all done with size 0 brushes, because that's pretty much all I had on hand back then.

So, I have to playfully ask myself, what did I learn, besides the obvious aspect of a fox loves orange and black?  Uhm...  Good question.  I know I did a decent amount of drybrushing, but I also can't even remember if I used any metallic paints or not as it's been a while >.>;;;;
    • By TheDungeonDelver
      Hey all...

I have a ... uh, war-band?  Army?  Regiment?  Buncha?  anyway, whatever the unit size in Warlord is back when Reaper did the boxes that were 10 regular troops, a lieutenant, and a leader (and a familiar).  

I don't play Warlord, but I would like to use the minis on the tabletop for AD&D games.  While I'm OK with painting the 2 commanders (Nirodiel and Danithal) individually, "character level" if you will, the other elves I would prefer just to get done.

Any tips anyone can share?  What shade should I start with, etc.
    • By GuyWithCoolBackpack
      Evening, all,

So I've come to realize one of the big weaknesses I have in my technique is base coating.  As in it always takes too long.  I've started to pay attention to the reasons why and I'm hoping people can offer me some tips to streamline my process and not get hung up on what should be a pretty straightforward step.  

So I start with the blank mini and I'm immediately trying to figure out a color scheme. I'll usually pick a couple of main colors that offer good contrast, figure I'll use cream and brown colors on the less important accessories and I'm off to the races with my base coat, except that this almost immediately falls apart as I start trying to parse the mini into these handful of different colors.  Let's say I want to give a guy a green shirt and dark red pants.  I figure I'll use black for the boots, brown for his belt, no problem.  Except that I'll start painting and realize that his pants have a stripe down the side, or a fringe.  

Well I've already tried to settle on a palette, but maybe I don't want to use any of those colors for the stripe. Okay, maybe I'll jut use an bright red stripe, that's a diferent color, add it to my pallete.  And then I notice the belt has a pouch on it, and I don't want to use the same color for the belt and the pouch, so I need to figure out a different color for that. And then I notice he has a belt buckle that's made of a different material, and now I have entirely too many colors and I don't like tho look of the pallete anymore...I'm just trying to get on a base coat but I'm also trying to figure out how to paint this thing at the same time, and considering that I only get an hour or 2 to paint a night, the process can take days.  

So does anyone have any thoughts?  Other than just stealing color schemes wholesale from the back of the box (something I'm not too good for) can anyone help me figure out how to separate the "what paint goes where" problem from the "get the basic colors on the model" problem?  
    • By Vytau
      Technically, this is batch 3 - I painted 10 more Malvernian CAVs before this round, but:  ADON!  

Since I have so few Adonese units, relatively speaking, I figured I'd dive in and knock out the whole force at once.  I managed to pick up those APCs on the cheap, so I am very tempted to add some infantry, but the rumor mill says there may be some new space-elfy units coming up soon, so I'm pumping my brakes.  

Paint job:  Speed paint.  Pic quality: rushed.  Still, hope this helps people get motivated to paint! 

• By mrxak
      Forgive me if any of these questions are prominently answered somewhere. I've been reading through a lot of materials here on the site and forums and learned a lot, but a few things I still didn't find answers on.

What is liner? I've seen several paints called liner but I have no idea what that means or how it's different from the other paints.

I understand washes and drybrushing, what they're good for and how to do them, but can somebody explain glazing to me? What should I be looking for in a glaze, and when should I use one? How should I use one?

When would one use an MSP HD paint instead of a regular MSP paint, and vice versa?

I've seen a lot of people extolling the use of wet palettes, and I've seen discussion on how to make one, but what exactly are they good for? Is there more to it than simply keeping paint from drying out on your palette? Does it water down the paint? What, if any, effects does it have on mixing, exactly? Do you still need another palette alongside it for certain things?

I also have a few more general questions that have no correct answer, but I'm kinda curious to get a few responses/opinions on, as somebody new to this hobby.

When you're doing a mini, how long do you typically paint for, not including drying time? What do you consider speed painting? When I see these incredible professional paint jobs, how long did those take to paint?

How quickly do you go through paint bottles? Does it make sense to get an extra bottle of one's most commonly-used paints, or do those bottles last a long time?

Do you personally use a sealer? Have you ever regretted not doing so?

What are your ten most essential paints, the ones you personally use all the time for whatever reason?

What painter do you think I absolutely must start being a fan of? What painter have you learned the most from since you started this hobby?

And, what the heck, tell me what your favorite Reaper mini of all time is. Has to be one you've actually painted. I think my favorite is 77021 Lindir, Elf Archer. I butchered the face, but it's a fantastic mini and I learned a lot from painting him when I was just starting out.
  • Who's Online   33 Members, 5 Anonymous, 99 Guests (See full list)