Griffon\W knight rider. Comish job.

Ah, the 6th edition Bretonnians, such a pity they were "updated" to mostly look like inbred yokels.

I always liked King Louen, and this looks very nice. I'd like a better look at the base, though. And because I'm a pedant, he's riding a hippogriff, not a griffon.

I always liked King Louen, and this looks very nice. I'd like a better look at the base, though. And because I'm a pedant, he's riding a hippogriff, not a griffon.

Technically, I think he's riding a GW made up beast with teeth in its beak.

I love the paint job though! I can't believe you did that in 5 hours. And the base really compliments the mini well.

• Like 1

It is nice to see the King or Bretonnia riding again...

Technically, I think he's riding a GW made up beast with teeth in its beak.

Any good herald could tell you exactly which bits should or can be derived from which beast. (And yeah, GW, the mini-maker from a country which still has a functioning College-of-Arms, decided they'd be 'creative' and not particularly follow the edicts of medieval fabulous bestiaries or the rules of their own official heralds.)

But, the general rule is supposed to be: a monster which combines pieces from...

• A bird of prey (eagle) and a great cat is a Griffin. ------- Bird + Cat = Griffin
  • A bird of prey and an Equine (horse) is a Hippogriff. --- Bird + Horse = HippoGriff

In heraldry there is such a thing as wingless Griffins, but if either type of "griff" has wings, they are always feathered.

GW just came out with some wingless Demi-Griffs which I think are cat + bird but I am not sure.

I especially love the base. Any chance of a WIP on that base technique?

Kudos on that base! I'll second the request for an explanation of how you did it; the stream looks fantastic.

In regards to the base work. The ground the beast is standing on is cork board that I "ruffed up". I then cut out the area where I wanted the stream to be. I used water effects from spectrehobbies.com. I created a border outside of the base where I wanted the stream to be. I glued small walls made from cork board and used putty to cover and leaks around the frame. Because the raised cork board gives a nice height boost the frame walls were already created for the majority of the stream. Because I ran out of small pebbles to do the riverbed I used incense that are colored and shaped the same way, from there I filled it in with water effects as you would with pouring concrete into a frame.

Thank you all for the great feedback. Posting more soon!

• Like 1