12th Doctor announced

Nocturne

So the 12th Doctor has been announced. Matt Smith will be replaced by Scottish actor Peter Capaldi....presumably toned down from his Malcolm Tucker role from The Thick of It and In the Loop

(NSFW) - Spoiler tagged as even the preview image for the video managed to have swearing in it.

Great actor and an excellent choice, really looking foward to the

Edited by Nocturne
  • Like 2

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is an interesting choice. I don't know how to feel about it. On the one hand, I'll certainly miss the boyish charm and bouncy personalities of the last two Doctors (and even, to some extent, Eccleston), but this is a definite return to the classic Who style--crazy grandfather in a box, rather than crazy potential love interest in a box. I'm just doing my best to avoid passing judgment until I've seen him in action.

• Like 3

Well technically speaking (SPOILERS for last season's finale below)...

this is regeneration #13, even though he's only the 12th Doctor, since there was a regeneration between 8 and 9 (the one played by John Hurt)

so I suspect that'll be a plot point for Mr. Capaldi's Doctor. As I recall, there are ways to get additional regenerations. They're certainly not going to cancel it for a silly little thing like continuity.

Edited by Slendertroll

Well technically speaking (SPOILERS for last season's finale below)...

this is regeneration #13, even though he's only the 12th Doctor, since there was a regeneration between 8 and 9 (the one played by John Hurt)

so I suspect that'll be a plot point for Mr. Capaldi's Doctor. As I recall, there are ways to get additional regenerations. They're certainly not going to cancel it for a silly little thing like continuity.

I am very curious how they will handle the Valeyard. The Master said the original version from season 23 was a regeneration between his 12th and 13th incarnation, so the logical thing would be two regenerations, but then they'd have to have a side trip for the Valeyard to explain his previous appearance on Doctor Who. If anyone remembers, his plan then was to steal the Doctors future regenerations because he was almost out. I think it is only a fan theory that the Valeyard is from between 8 and 9, I haven't read anything official that claims that's where he is from.

In any case, I am looking forward to Peter's Doctor. I just watched In the Loop and the first season of The Thick of It, and he is quite a character. He's a tiny scrappy guy, and should make for quite the interesting Doctor. Also, watching the announcement, he is a LONG time Doctor Who fan, he had a letter published in a paper when he was 15, talking about the far future when the show would be celebrating it's 25th anniversary, I love seeing someone like that get a chance at something they obviously love.

• Like 2

They've ditched the regeneration limit thing a few times, three times with the Master in all of Old Who, New Who and horrible millenium Who. they've also mentioned in passing within new Who both in the main series and the Sarah Jane spinoff that the regeneration limit was imposed by the council who are now gone. I think it's something they'll quietly shuffle under the carpet and ignore rather than deal with directly.

I think, or at least hope, that they're going to brush the Valeyard under the rug because of all the continuity problems he presents.

Well, in The Name of the Doctor the Great Intelligence stated that the Valeyard would be one of the names by which the Doctor would be known before his end, so I don't think you're going to get your wish.

I liked Matt Smith as the Doctor, but not the writing for his run. I would have liked to have seen him in some of the earlier Tennant episodes (I'm not much of a Tennant fan). Eccleston is my favorite of the new Doctors, but I'm definitely excited to see how Capaldi will take over the character as I've tired of the Tennant-Smith goofy, man-boy thing.