Sign in to follow this  
Girot

Underwater Minis/Dioramas/Etc

Okay so I've got my recently aquired Kelpies up next in the que and was wondering....

What kind of finish should I use on underwater models?? Part of me thinks that a semigloss or gloss is appropriate... but then when one is looking at something, while underwater themselves, it doesn't exactly look wet. What do y'all think?

I don't think it matters. The paint and basing will tell you were the scene takes place, not how reflective the paint is.

I also think gloss only conveys wet when it's not used across the whole mini as if there's nothing dull, or dry, there's nothing that tells your brain to associate gloss with wetness.

I'm not a fan of glossy sealer as it gives a plastic aspect, so I'll probably go with a semigloss sealer.

Also, I would use bright colors on the models for sure and a neutral color for the diorama background.

Things underwater do not look glossy. If you look at photos of fish they look velvey matte. They do not even have highlights in their eyes.

The glossy look of wet things in air comes from light reflecting off a thin, smooth layer of water. But things underwater don't have that -- they are in the water. The only shiny things I have seen undewater are air bubbles.

Gotcha. Anybody have any leads on a passable underwater soundscape? I'm not coming up with squat on google.

there really is not much sound under water, at least not pitched so that we can hear it. One of the really neat aspects of snorkeling, as opposed to SCUBA is the absolute silence when you drop below the surface.

You really *really* should look at deepwars by antimatter games.

Their whole line of miniatures is steampunk underwater divers and lovecraftian / lost world sea creatures. Amazing stuff. They recently got a pro game board for demos that is truly top notch. Pics on their FB

http://antimatter-games.com/

https://m.facebook.com/pages/AntiMatter-Games/150524491661221?id=150524491661221&_rdr

Love everything I've gotten from them, including the game, which is a boss version of song of blades and heroes.

Even if it isn't your thing they should be a good source of inspiration.

• Like 1

@Pingo: a soundscape is an audio track that contains ambient sounds of a particular environment

I am running an underwater dungeon crawl in September and am doing the workup. it's become quite the undertaking. so far I have background music, remote controlled lighting, and am constructing a full color modular dungeon map using Photoshop and poster board. I need an underwater soundscape, or at least some underwater bubble noises, for the parts of the dungeon that are totally submerged.

I really need a team of minions to help me with these all these projects I keep starting....

• Like 3

well, it isnt a "soundscape" as in ambient noise, but these tracks were made for underwater skirmish music:

edit: fixed links.

Edited by vulture
  • Like 1

I am really enjoying underwater stuff lately , it allows for some really fresh and original elements. Reaper has been expanding their undersea stuff recently ( yes!), and a few other mfgs are doing nice stuff to the point where it is finally possible to do some undersea minis action.

If you find some good underwater ambient noise please share, and I'd love to see this project come together.

Edited by vulture