OK, so I had to try....

OK, so back when I was waiting for my Bones, I got this idea. Michael's craft store carries the Safari dragons. They are tacky and horrid in every way. But I had a 40% off coupon and they had one that seemed like it could be redeemed. So, I bought one of these in all of it's glitter-covered glory.

post-10030-0-19111000-1375673615.jpg

I decided green wasn't his color. I wanted a shadow dragon anyhow, so he became my candidate. I washed him well, but did not strip the existing paint. Here's the final product.

post-10030-0-18422700-1375674252_thumb.jpg

post-10030-0-83690600-1375674254_thumb.jpg

post-10030-0-82755900-1375674258_thumb.jpg

post-10030-0-50443600-1375674261_thumb.jpg

The white spots on the base are reflections from the water effect, not bare plaster.

So, did I redeem him, or have I gone ever the line by even considering these dragons?

• Like 18

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've seen those and never looked past the factory paint job. Good on you for seeing the potential! I may have to give them another look. If you don't mind saying, about how much were they before ( or after ) the coupon? I don't think I even looked long enough to see the price on them when I saw their paint.

As to your paint job, I think it makes an awesome shadow dragon!

I have one of a similar brand picked up in France that I believe it is an awesome sculpt. OK, not "in-line" with the Reaper monstrosities, but a great figure anyway. It will be my next project.

We need to keep our eyes open for stuff like this. For example, cheap transformer's know-offs? Great to tear down for "technical bit" for basing.

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

I do think they are tacky in that the colors and presentation are an assault on the eyes, but I like quite a few of the sculpts and wanted to see if I could make one look respectable.

They run between $9 and $17. I've seen this one on the high end before, but got him at $12 regular price with a 40% coupon. The price seems to vary between different Michael's outlets, which seems strange. I'm definitely going to try a few more in the future.