Less than Epic Fantasy

Ironworker

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Lionmane - If I remember correctly, Conan was in his late 40s when he became King of Aquilonia.  And the earliest 'canon' stories (Howard, Lin Carter, deCamp and Nyborg -sp?) have him at about fifteen, sixteen years old.  Somebody recently wrote a book with Conan even younger, ending with the oftmentioned sacking of Venarium, but he fiddled with the continuity and I didn't consider it paticularly well-written.  Somewhere it was put down that Conan originally considered bows and arrows as children's toys, until his mid-twenties when he was in Turan and saw them used with devastating effect by Turanian horsemen.  However, in this book, Conan's twelve years old and picking small birds out of the air with a bow he'd made himself. 

And, in regards to your signature, you have great taste in music.  What song is that from?

Thanks for the compliment-nice to see somebody around here appreciates Manowar!! :devil:

The quote is from the song "Swords in the Wind" from the CD 'Warriors of the World". The song is actually a ballad of sorts. There's also a classical piece called "The March" that's good-hell, most of the CD is really good!! :B):

Back to Conan, that book you picked up(The Coming Of Conan) is a great one. I personally don't consider anything by hacks like DeCamp to be part of the Conan world. Some of the post-Howard stuff by other authors was OK, but NOBODY ever came close to writing the Hyborian Age as well as REH.

If you can, check out the book "The Ultimate Triumph"- classic REH tales of barbarism illustrated by Frazetta. It includes "Valley of the Worm", one of my favorites.

One last RPG -related note: when my friends and I used to play D&D, we usually had the Conan soundtrack, Wagner, and Manowar playing as our background music(this is only reccomended for combat-heavy game sessions). :devil:

-And no, not all at the same time!!! :B):

Manowar is generally my workout music. Man, pumping iron while "Hail and Kill" rages with the volume cranked...that's good exercise. I also put on Manowar while painting barbarians.

I've never gotten a chance to play D&D, much as I would like to...My parents choose to listen to the fundamentalists who proclaim it as satanic. I do play Call of Cthulhu a bit, which can be argued to actually be worse...I'm not the kind of person to be influenced by a game, but D&D could be thought of as teaching capitalism (kill monsters = win treasure) whereas CofC is much more nihilistic. *shrugs* Whaddya gonna do, right?

Have you ever heard of the band Hammerfall? They do warrior metal as well, and wear armor for the photos in the lyric book, but where Manowar's are very barbaric with fighting, dying, and then fighting and drinking in Valhalla, Hammerfall's are more about fighting for honor and chivalry. Very nice guitarwork though.

Yeah, I also work out to Manowar! Ya can't exactly pump iron to Kenny G, now can you? :wacko: Black Label Society is good for workouts, too.

I've got the first two Hammerfall CD's-good stuff. Virgin Steele dabbles in heroic-themed music, as does Symphony X. Rhapsody also has symphonic-metal tunes with fantasy themes. Blind Guardian has done a few songs with Tolkien themes as well. But Manowar is my favorite band- it's like classically trained biker musicians channeling Robert E. Howard...music to crush your enemies' army to! :devil:

Oops, I guess we kinda steered this thread into a whole 'nother topic, huh? Oh well......ROCK ON!!!!! :devil::B)::devil:

Wanna know something funny? "Ross the Boss", former ringleader of Manowar, was also my great-grandfather's nickname. The phrase "Heaven won't have him and Hell's afraid he'll take over" was invented to refer to him.

I have Rhapsody's Dawn of Victory, which is very enjoyable, in a bard-ish sort of way.

Though it's not particularly Howardian in theme, a black metal band called Bal-Sagoth (after REH's Gods of Bal-Sagoth) has a story that arcs over several albums, made up of just one song from each, called collectively "The Splendour of Ten Thousand Swords Gleaming Beneath the Blazon of the Hyperborean Empire" according to their website, they're "Barbarian Black Metal" and there's several subtle Lovecraft references as well. They're really good, I recommend you give them a try.

I've been out of metal for a long time (frankly because there wasn't anything good I was hearing) but this thread has piqued my interest. Do any of these groups have D-L MP3s to sample? But more importantly, so I know what is being talked about, is "black metal" just a nice way of describing Death Metal? Are they related? Is one a spin-off of another?

I recently got into Lords of the Wierd Slough Feg, which is DEFNITELY gamer metal! Good stuff...

Damon.

Black metal originally referred to Satanic, evil-sounding Death-metal, but now I think it refers to any sort of anti-Christian religion. I remember reading an interview with the singer from Bal-Sogoth, and he said he was a pagan, and had suggestions of that in his songs. There's so many different labels for metal now, it's hard to keep 'em straight!! (Death, Black, Power, Progressive, Stoner,Melodic, Monkey-OK, I made up the last one ^_^ )

I listened to some Bal-Sogoth a few years ago and wasn't impressed;maybe I should give 'em another listen.

I've heard of Slough Feg, I need to check 'em out. There's also a band called Hammers of Misfortune that has former members of Slough Feg in it (I think) that's supposed to be good.

Oh, here's one more that I just found-Fireball Ministry. Listened to some clips on CD Now the other day. Good hard rock stuff.

So many bands, so little time.......

p.s. -a local radio station is looking for a DJ for a new metal show, and I'm tryin' to get the spot. THAT would be cool! :devil:

Oh, yeah, almost forgot. Lars, usually the respective bands' websites will have MP3's or RealPlay or Windows Media clips or whole songs to listen to. CD Now has little 30-second clips of songs for about the fiest half of each CD. Not all CDs they stock have sound clips available, but most of 'em do. Even though they're not whole songs, usually it's enough to give you a good idea if you'll like it or not.

One more source for metal/hard rock info is a magazine (and website ) called Brave Words and Bloody Knuckles. This the probably the best magazine dedicated to this genre of music. They cover all types of metal and some hard rock. I haven't been to their website in a while, but they used to have songs to listen to.

I just remembered another site-hardradio.com. It used to be pretty good.

Hope this helps ! If you have any other questions, keep this hijacked thread going or PM or e-mail me!

"All Men Play On Ten" -MANOWAR :devil::B)::devil:

Regarding metal classifications (taken from a site run by a friend of mine)

Death Metal - Very heavy metal where the vocals are growled and not sung. The music is like Thrash, but with more distortion on the guitars. The subject matter is right out of a horror movie. Gore, death and other subjects of the like. Very brutal indeed. Bands like; Obituary, Sepultura, Goreguts, and Immolation.

Black Metal - Kind of like death metal but the vocals are not a low growl. They are a higher pitch screech. The music has more elagance than death metal and the subect matter is usually very dark, demonic, spiritual and at times galactic. That is why it is called Black metal. Sometimes more symphonic and majestic. Bands like; Agathodiamond, Lord Belial, Emperor, Immortal and Siebenburgen.