Ogre Chieftan Step by Step Videos

I am so far behind with following this thread, but want to get caught up. I was trying to watch 6a and b on Wednesday when I was home with my sick 4 y.o. but my connection to the internet kept bombing out.

I would like to mention of what I have watched so far your brush control is a key part of your skills. I hope to get to watch one or two this weekend.

• Like 1

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am so far behind with following this thread, but want to get caught up. I was trying to watch 6a and b on Wednesday when I was home with my sick 4 y.o. but my connection to the internet kept bombing out.

I would like to mention of what I have watched so far your brush control is a key part of your skills. I hope to get to watch one or two this weekend.

Hey well the videos will always be there when you've got some time to relax and watch paint dry haha, hope your kid got better btw being sick sucks.

About the brush control, to be honest I think brushes felt really akward to me for a long time until I got used to them. Which is weird to think about because now they're as natural as anything.

Well I have another video uploading which I'll link at the bottom of this post. I painted a piece of his green armor and showed how I went about doing that. I decided to paint over his metal on his helm and armor because it was too boring. He needed a little color and I'm pretty happy I made that decision since he's starting to look way better now.

Also talked about the conversions and resculpting I did during the start of the video. About 20 mins long this time, really small area I painted so it goes fast. Now I'm working on the bone, but I'm busy this weekend so I won't be able to film I don't think, unless I wake up at the crack of dawn and do it then before people are awake. Maybe I'll get a video up of the bone this weekend. Will see.

Video is up, here it is. Have a great weekend!

• Like 3

Hey all, hope you had a good weekend. I've got a video up of how I painted the bone on his belt buckle. Here is that video!

I've got a couple more filmed and lined up to go. Getting close to actually completing this dude. Probably done by the weekend, will see!

• Like 2

I'm posting another video this morning where I paint up his beard in a blue/black color to match his shoulder pad fur. I tweaked my rendering settings while playing around with stuff and the FPS is low for this video so it's a little choppy...won't go back to that setting again for future videos ugh. Although the filesize is smaller the drop in quality is not worth it, hey I have to watch these too in case I forget how I did something, and I don't want to suffer!

In the end I change his beard color from blue to a kind of orange/grey/brown but wanted to show this video anyways because it's how I painted the shoulder fur.

• Like 2

I'm slowly watching your videos, and I've learned so much already, even though I've only watched the first four! Even though the unfortunate over-brightness on the skin layering video prevented my seeing exactly the shades you were layering, you described it so well I could picture what you were doing in my mind, which was enough for me. Also, all those little things you probably don't even think about any more, such as using sponges to clean/wick off brushes and showing how to blend using water on your wet palette, really will help me a lot!

Thanks for taking the time and effort to do these videos. I don't really live around anyone who paints that I'm aware of, and I'm very much a "watch someone else do it then try it myself" sort of learner, so your videos are extremely helpful and appreciated!!

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

• Like 1

I absolutely love the way this guy is coming together. Many thanks for walking us through this.

Alright, yeah slowly but surely a little bit at a time he is indeed starting to come together, thanks man! Thanks for following along and commenting, glad you're getting a kick out of this project.

I'm slowly watching your videos, and I've learned so much already, even though I've only watched the first four! Even though the unfortunate over-brightness on the skin layering video prevented my seeing exactly the shades you were layering, you described it so well I could picture what you were doing in my mind, which was enough for me. Also, all those little things you probably don't even think about any more, such as using sponges to clean/wick off brushes and showing how to blend using water on your wet palette, really will help me a lot!

Thanks for taking the time and effort to do these videos. I don't really live around anyone who paints that I'm aware of, and I'm very much a "watch someone else do it then try it myself" sort of learner, so your videos are extremely helpful and appreciated!!

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

Hey alright, thank you! That's great you're learning stuff from watching these, I know how valuable a resource watching videos can be for learning and it's one of the main motivators for me doing this. There's plenty more after this video is done, and I will cover *everything* that I can think of in great detail as I go forward. Especially stuff like consistency of paint and the technical things like those sponges. All the 'arcana' tied into my approach.

Ok, I'm uploading a new video showing how I painted up his pouch in a red leather kind of effect. Towards the end of the video the mini goes offscreen for a bit, I need to check the screen as I film more...ooops! You don't miss much though, just some minor blending at the very end.

Here's that video:

• Like 2

Hey guys, I have been busy this last week with commission work, when it rains it pours sometimes around here and I haven't shot any video. I was hoping to have it all done last month because I can get pretty hectic sometimes and my free time projects have to wait.

That being said, I'll get some video up soon as I'm at a place now where I can look at getting an hour or a day free to work on this again. It won't be as soon as today that i get another vid up, but I'm looking at getting at least one up by the weekend.

He's almost done anyway so there won't be too many vids to film. The good news is that I have another mini in line to paint and film after this! So if these are good for you to watch, there will be another up soon. A new mini means showing new techniques on new surfaces and should be a lot of fun.

• Like 2

I should set up a video recording so instead of seeing a good painter demonstrate and explain techniques you could watch a mediocre painter flail about chaotically until frantically trying to pull everything together and finally just calling it done. It would have good music, anyway.

:bday:

• Like 2

Hi Darkstar, I have really enjoyed watching your videos. Thank you for taking the time to make them for our enjoyment.

Your palette with the little wells, what sort of product is that again? I have been using a home made wet palette, but the baking paper keeps curling and wrinkling on me, so I would love to try the little wells.

• Like 1