Recently Browsing 0 members
- No registered users viewing this page.
This is s figure that I painted during a speed painting class at Reapercon a couple years ago. I decided to go back and clean up a couple things that I think could have been a little better. I know that's not quite the idea of speed painting, but I brought him to my tabletop standard, so I'm happy with him now.
I already finished terrain for Q2. I had started the Strumpet. Categories I’m working on:
Large Group: Townsfolk Strumpet
Large Figure: Cave Spider
Theme April Showers: Deep Dweller with an acrylic resin on part of the base to look wet.
Pop Up: 3 townsfolk
Pop Up: Gothic Ritual: Torture equipment with blood spatter.
Seasonal: Petey for Deep Dish Pizza Day
Heavy Mod: Tree of Despair victim: want to reposition head, ropes, spread legs, gouge out middle and sculpt intestines to look like his torturers eviscerated him.
Havn't done much painting this past month, mainly been doing spring cleaning which wore me out. but did manage to get this done in between naps, lol. Love and watched the way Anne Forster did hers on reaper pro tips (twitch) and had to paint it, of course even thou wish I could of copy her skin tone that just wouldn't be fair, so I did my own spin on it.
By Grumpy Cave Bear
More minis from my Shelf of Shame Long-Term, Partially-Completed Backlog: A trio of kobolds from one of the Reaper Bones kickstarters!
These are some of the tiniest minis I've painted. Even so, it took about 2 long evenings to complete them.
I did lots of practice of NMM steel and gold. I'm now of the opinion that NMM works better than metallics for small minis.
The clothing was originally red, but I found it was too close to the orange of the skin color and just blended together from about 2 feet away, so they got repainted to a color/tone that was more distinct.
I prefer that my kobolds be weird dog/lizard hybrid creatures, so they all got black noses. It looks good on these!
That brings the total minis I've painted this year to 19! (With another one in the wings.)
A few weeks ago I made a bit of a cheeky post where "Lassie" tried to get some help for poor Timmy (who had, quite unsurprisingly, fallen down a well). Well, the Thing in the Well wasn't quite finished at the time. That has since been rectified.
I present to you: The Thing in the Well/The Well of Doom!
The well was painted up with my favorite craft paint combo: Delta Ceramcoat Chocolate Cherry, Burnt Sienna, and Terra Cotta. Truly great stuff! And it's not grey! I honestly think I'm going to use that trio for most of my stone scenery.
I left the fluid unattached and painted the inside of the well with a couple shades of dark blue (I no longer remember which ones). But I'm not sure whether or not I'll ever take the brain out of the well, so it was just a whim and not anything really planned.
The first part of the beastie I tackled was the well "water." I knew I wasn't going to paint it up like blue water. I was hoping to create a rather unnatural vibe. I thought about green, but ended up using the NMM Gold triad. I don't know if I got the shading right, as I was trying to make the fluid darker where it would be thicker/deeper and paler near the edges and peaks.
The brain was next. I used the Vampiric Skin triad for the grey matter. The veins/arteries along the surface were originally going to be red...and then I remembered that squid blood isn't red. Squid blood is blue. So out went the red (not for the only time this project). I used Nightmare Black to serve as a base for Ritterlich Blue and Brilliant Blue topped off the highlights. You can't see the "cerebellum," but I used Imperial Purple, Amethyst Purple, and Spectral White to paint it up. I was on a "cool" colors kick.
And then the tentacles. Ugh. Not "ick," "ugh." My original, scatter-brained plan was to try to emulate the humboldt squid. Those rather nasty pieces of work pulse red when they're agitated. So I painted the backs of all the tentacles red. Then I put the fluid in the well and started dry-fitting the tentacles. It didn't work. None of it. Not the shade of red and not the fit of the tentacles. I ended up pinning four of the tentacles to the fluid base. There just didn't seem to be enough "plug" on them to properly sit in the base and I didn't want to drown the thing in glue. One of those pins is rather questionable, though, but it's all holding for now. The mold lines are another issue. I should have checked more carefully before I started, but these aren't for much beyond my own grins and giggles. I can forgive a few mold lines.
After getting the tentacles nice and attached, I pondered for a bit and ended up choosing the Twilight Colors triad (another favorite) for the backs. I chose the Rosy Flesh triad for the underside of the tentacles, and the Bone Colors Triad for the hooks on the suckers. And that's about it.
Thanks for stopping by!