The Minirator - New Miniature Voting Service

Flow

Based upon the discussion in fair and better mini voting system thread, I decided to get off of my butt and give it a shot. I took suggestions from the thread and came up with The Minirater (which to me rhymes with "The Disintegrator" but hopefully won't be as unpleasant).

The idea is that this rater provides means to vote on a finer grain of things, including basing, blending, shading and highlighting, and other aspects. Voters must be registered (no hidden sniping) and you must also have submitted at least one mini to vote.

Please give it a shot! Feedback welcome and I'm totally open to changes based upon user experience. I want this to be a fun little tool where we can get a more precise group opinion (at least better than the generic '1-10') on miniature accomplishments.

:bday:

Edited by Flow
  • Like 6

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I like new websites. I make new ones weekly. So I registered for support.

And I threw in a mini for rating. *crosses fingers* Let's go JABBERWOCKY!!

Glad it's not the classic grey/black. Only suggestion would be to make the heading a bit smaller so it doesn't eat up my screen on my phone.

It's an interesting idea. I have never been a CMON user, but I'm game to try out the system. It certainly has the potential to provide richer feedback. I look forward to your results.

I registered an account to try it out. I'll see if I can dig up a picture to submit.

Side note: Registering reminded me of this classic xkcd: http://xkcd.com/936/ (Sorry, I've had data security on the brain lately.)

Edit:

I just noticed that the web site also committed the sin of emailing my password back to me in plain text, after making me pick a complex password during registration. Is it possible to change that?

Edited by klarg1

Haha, I opened the website and an add told me "two people are spying on me". They must be terribly bored people. :lol:

Edit: I'll register and add a mini this afternoon, at home. I don't have pictures of my minis at work. >.>

Edited by redambrosia

• After submitting a miniature, it must be admin approved to show up on the front page.

Is there another page where minis show up?

This is the only sticking point ... waiting on a person to push the button to make your submission live.

If you admin approved the account registration, then perhaps the submission wouldn't need the wait.

Edit:

I just noticed that the web site also committed the sin of emailing my password back to me in plain text, after making me pick a complex password during registration. Is it possible to change that?

Yar! That's not good. I'll fix that.

• After submitting a miniature, it must be admin approved to show up on the front page.

Is there another page where minis show up?

This is the only sticking point ... waiting on a person to push the button to make your submission live.

If you admin approved the account registration, then perhaps the submission wouldn't need the wait.

They only show up on your personal page, and only when you are looking at them (another user's account will only see your published content on your own page). The unpublished only shows up for the submitter and the admin.

I realize this step is an annoyance, but it seems like a reasonable troll defense. You just know that someone, someday, is going to think it's funny to upload something obnoxious and inappropriate. :ph34r:

So, one more suggestion: I would like to be able to see the votes on my own work without having to vote. (Really, I do not want to vote on/rate my own work, but I do want the feedback.)

You're right - this isn't quite correct. Voting on your own stuff shouldn't be mandatory. I'll likely change this today. :ph34r:

• Like 1

I realize this step is an annoyance, but it seems like a reasonable troll defense. You just know that someone, someday, is going to think it's funny to upload something obnoxious and inappropriate. :ph34r:

But it's far more user-friendly to allow registered users to post their stuff and then moderate the trolls. It's far less frustrating on your true users.

Since you are already moderating the entries to be added it's just as easy to moderate the ones that need to be summarily deleted and banned.

• Like 1

But it's far more user-friendly to allow registered users to post their stuff and then moderate the trolls. It's far less frustrating on your true users.

Since you are already moderating the entries to be added it's just as easy to moderate the ones that need to be summarily deleted and banned.

You've got a point. I'll change it. I need to unwind the ball of thread to undo that, but it shouldn't be too much.

I suppose if it ever becomes a "real" problem I can add it back.

The site is sluggish, but I'm assume that has something to do with the "beta" label. Guidelines for what counts as "Novice" "Intermediate" or "Master" would be good, so we can self-categorize appropriately.

It might be good to provide a method for moving a miniature between categories. For example, if someone had a too-high or too-low opinion of themselves, or just forgot to change the setting from the default. Votes would need to be invalidated, or at least marked as not applying to the current categorization.

Similarly, it might be good to allow reviewers to recommend an appropriate category. For example, if a master-class miniature was accidentally submitted as novice, rather than give it all novice-class 5s, reviewers could mark that their vote assumes master-class. Maybe you could even automatically override the user's category if enough voters think it is in the wrong one.

The site is sluggish, but I'm assume that has something to do with the "beta" label.

Kind of. Sort of. It's on a VPS server; better than shared hosting but not as good as a dedicated server. A dedicated server costs lots of $$$, and for that alone the sluggishness may have to endure (though if I can find a way to make things better, I will).

Guidelines for what counts as "Novice" "Intermediate" or "Master" would be good, so we can self-categorize appropriately.

This feels kind of tricky to me, as it seems oh so very subjective. One person's "Master" could easily be another's "Intermediate". I can try to come up with some descriptions; if anyone has some suggestions, I'd love to hear them.

As far as changing submission rank, this is the one thing I left as disabled upon editing. It's for the obvious reason; a person could submit at Novice, garner a lot of votes, and then switch it to Master and appear to have a glorious Master mini with lots of positive votes.

I could allow it to change and wipe out the votes, or - in the existing system - there isn't much wrong with re-submitting the same mini at a higher rank and seeing how it does.

The site is sluggish, but I'm assume that has something to do with the "beta" label.

Kind of. Sort of. It's on a VPS server; better than shared hosting but not as good as a dedicated server. A dedicated server costs lots of $$$, and for that alone the sluggishness may have to endure (though if I can find a way to make things better, I will).

(To be fair - the other thing that could speed it up is to completely recode it in a better framework. This would be a "non-trivial" upgrade, though likely would help speed a lot).