Skin Color Advice

ub3r_n3rd

One trick that can be useful for seeing actual colors is a piece of cardstock with a small (1/4" x 1/4" – 6 x 6 mm or so) hole. Lay the cardstock over the picture and look at the color you see through the hole. Since it will be without contextual information, it will be easier to see the actual color than if you're looking at the whole image at once.

• Like 5

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Doug's advice is good, but I'd be very careful regarding the color of cardstock you choose, since no matter what, the cardstock color WILL influence the color that your eyes see through the little hole. I know it sounds crazy, but I've taken both an art class and a psychology class where this phenomenon was demonstrated. Blows my mind every time. :)

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

• Like 1

Correct, Pingo. It wasn't a vote for that triad, I should've quoted the part that said "I think the triad itself is a slightly less "red" looking than these swatches. Could be wrong." Just showing what it looks like on a mini, since iirc that's just the triad.

She does not look nearly as dark as the OP's image.

The OP's image is standing in shadow; the skin tones in the same light might make them more comparable. If the target image is truly darker, then use the 'shadow' as the base color (essentially, ratchet the triad down a notch).

I ended up going with the following colors:

Ruddy Leather for the base and darker areas that are in shadow.

Shaded up to Intense Brown for the mid-tone.

Highlighted up to Oiled Leather.

Here's the last pics I took of him. I have since based him and done a few more touch-ups but his skin tone hasn't changed.

post-7987-0-28064800-1376412294_thumb.jpg

Edited by ub3r_n3rd
  • Like 6

Perfect skin color! I really like how vibrant the glowy light blue bits turned out too, well done!

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

Thank you :;):

I was really happy with how his skin turned out personally and I used sapphire blue with a drop or two of pure white for the tattoos to really make them look like they are glowing on his body.