Deep Ruin Tienthylandria WIP (pic heavy)

Girot

My players expressed an interest in running a good ole fashioned dungeon dive as they're not seeing as much combat as they'd like. So I broke out my favorite random dungeon generator and had it spit me out a [email protected] dungeon to serve as a fitting tomb for my PCs. I spend a week chewing on fluff an finally settled on a theme: elven atlantis. A few random name rolls later I end up with Deep Ruin Tienthylandria. Now that I had a concept of what I was doing I pulled up the map in MS Paint and 'formatted' it. I then spent the next 10 days rendering it in photoshop.

progression_by_girot-d6iiz2q.jpg

Rather than allow spoilers by having the entire map visible on the table I opted to make each room (even the 1"x1" vestibules) and mount them all on poster board.

boarded_up_by_girot-d6iiz3e.jpg

Having been thoroughly inspired by HeroQuest I decided on an assortment of tiles to represent the myriad of traps in this ruin.

trap_examples_by_girot-d6ij13w.jpg

Printed and Cut:

trap_tiles_by_girot-d6iiz2d.jpg

...and since I couldn't render a decent 2D spear trap tile:

spear_traps_by_girot-d6iiz2l.jpg

Next up on the agenda was what to do about doors... I'd considered Hirst Arts but given the size of the dungeon I was gonna need at least 200 objects between open and closed doors. Printable doors were gonna have to do. I also picked up some 1" machine washers and enamel spray paint to serve as both weights for the printed doors and "open door" tokens for everything else. I'd considered doing open arches for the open doors but after finishing 26 closed doors I don't ever want to have to use scissors ever again. :upside: Ultimately I'm pleased with how everything came out. Here is the progression:

door_example_by_girot-d6ij1c3.jpg

door_construction_by_girot-d6iiz37.jpg

pick_a_door_by_girot-d6iiz2x.jpg

Now that I've finally got a little bit of everything cut out here is an example of what an 'active' room might look like:

example_setup_by_girot-d6iiz33.jpg

For those of you who noticed the odd grid size: the original map is 33" but I stretched it to 36" for a variety of production related reasons. I also wanted to be absolutely sure I could fit a 25mm base comfortably onto the grid. I'll be using a lot of models that technically shouldn't fit into some of these rooms the way they're sculpted and therefore need some wiggle room.

Edited by Girot
  • Like 21

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLY COW. What are you doing with this and can I download it?

I made this for an upcoming Pathfinder dungeon crawl. I wasn't sure I was gonna be able to pull it off, lol.

The full sized version is HUUUUGE. I've gotta figure out how to make it downloadable. I'll even throw in a PDF with trap tiles, monsters, and door configurations. The second file might take me another week to compile though.

• Like 6

The full sized version is HUUUUGE. I've gotta figure out how to make it downloadable.

Hah. 36" x 36" at 300dpi? Yeah, that would be a good size... Are you working with layers? I always like seeing how much computers can handle when Ive got high res photos managing twenty photoshop layers :P

If youve saved it as a fairly efficient format (eg, PNG) theres not really much choice except to just whack the whole big file up online somewhere. Unless you want to chop it up into, say, 12x12 or 6x6 sections for people to piece back together again after theyve downloaded them. Oh, and just as a suggestion - PDF is generally not a great way to distribute images, unless you want it all in one "printable" version or need some of Adobe's copy protection features.

Apart from that, I agree with "Awesome". It really does remind me of HeroQuest, and makes me want to know whats going on with Room 34. Nice work! I feel like I want to try something like this myself now.

• Like 2

I'm thinking about doing an entire 'lava map'. I really like how those rooms turned out. I started with nothing more than medieval floor tiles and a lava texture and played for hours in photoshop until I got them to look good enough to print.

• Like 1

Litko, under their pathfinder line, makes a great set of acrylic doors (not linking, but Litko Game Accessories is a great Google search). These would fit your map nicely, and it will be easy to move the doors here and there.

I am also interested in a copy of this map, it looks like something fun I can run my kids through, using Heroscape rules with a few added monsters (thank you Bones!).

• Like 4

I was compiling a list of credits for texture sources and whatnot and I found a couple of 'prop packs' so I'm going to go back in and litter up the map a bit. I'll post an updated version later today.

EDIT: Since I'm going back in are there any suggestions, requests, or obvious errors I can address?

Edited by Girot
  • Like 1

FRACK. :zombie:... and I save the PSD file AFTER I flatten it to make a printable version. Yup. Definitely the final cut.

On a positive note I have the pretty rooms and most of the smaller objects saved in separate files.

Trap tiles are finished and ready to print.

I gave up trying to draw a decent looking spear trap from an "above" vantage so I opted to just model some using a skeletons kit. :B):

Edited by Girot
  • Like 1

I've got to hammer out what I'm gonna do about doors. I've got a couple ideas but I've not settled on anything yet.

There is this other thread: http://www.reapermini.com/forum/index.php?/topic/50850-idea-for-ready-to-go-stone-bases/

where someone is hunting for figure bases in the hardware store. They found their way to the tile section.

Some of those little tiles, stood up somehow, might make pretty decent 3D markers for doors. You could make shut and open versions and swap them out as required to represent the condition of each door.

Edited by TGP
  • Like 1