Best Glue for Bones?

Did the kickstarter, have minis, and the glue I've used (okay, it's for metal figures and I should have known better) made a mess and didn't adhere. I wouldn't think superglue and it's cousins would work. Before I try another type of glue, I'd like to hear what works and what to avoid. Thanks...

Be advised, that while the pieces of the Bones figures have been keyed to fit together pretty well (often better than corresponding metal figures), some of the pegs and tabs still need a bit of trimming, so dry-fit the parts before you glue to see if any other work is necessary.

I've run into no problems using the cheapest plain-old CA superglue from the hardware store.

I've used 5-minute epoxy on metal figures, but I've not run into a Bones kit yet where that kind of bond seemed necessary. I might go with that if I decide to do some heavy modification that requires a lot of pinning. From earlier reports 5-minute epoxy does not stick Bones to Bones well.

• Like 1

Superglue is what you want to use. I recommend Gorilla Super Glue. It is incredibly durable and well-suited for miniatures that will be played with, and you can get it just about any hardware store.

Just don't get the kind that expands. They have a regular cyanoacrylate glue that doesn't expand and that's the one we mean.

• Like 1
  • Forum Mascot

Gel superglues are the best. I use Krazy Glue with an orange cap (read the label to make sure it's "gel", there's also another kind with orange cap because Krazy Glue likes to be confusing).

The advantage to the gel over the regular stuff is twofold: it bonds quickly, but not instantly. It's only a matter of some extra seconds, but those extra seconds for positioning leeway can make the difference between a proper attachment or turning a fighter into the start of a mutate arachnoman.

And the other advantage is that the gel will fill in gaps or uneven parts between the surfaces being joined and make for a much stronger join.

Superglue is what you want to use. I recommend Gorilla Super Glue. It is incredibly durable and well-suited for miniatures that will be played with, and you can get it just about any hardware store.

Just don't get the kind that expands. They have a regular cyanoacrylate glue that doesn't expand and that's the one we mean.

The original brown urethane Gorilla Glue (and similar from other brands) is useful for building battle terrain and anywhere else you might need a strong bond between large, somewhat irregular surfaces (like planks of foam or rough wood, with adequate clamping), but its expanding property I agree is not advantageous for miniature figures themselves.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Pin, superglue, putty. I prefer to over-engineer as much as possible :)

+1. I also use 2 part epoxy to fasten larger pieces like dragon wings. It has way better shear strength than CA - which is a real plus on parts that tend to flex.

The Egg