Sign in to follow this  
The Inner Geek

Numenera RPG

Hey guys! I wasn't sure whether to post this in General Fantasy, or Sci-fi as the game has elements of both. Anyway, here is where I posted it.

I've been reading the PDF of the core rule book and I have to say I really like the setting. I think the actual play mechanic is a bit different, but I'll reserve judgement until I actually get to play it (someday... I hope). It definitely revolves around how bad your characters wants to succeed at something as opposed to how good you actually are at it. But, from what I've read, that's how Monte wanted it to work. The mechanics are at the same time both simple to keep the story going, yet a little complicated... at least seeming complicated since as I mentioned I've not rolled any dice in anger yet.

Overall I'm very excited about the game. The setting really does allow for a lot of interesting things to happen and still fit within the 'confines' of the world.

Has anyone else been reading the Core book? Any thoughts, ideas, things you're excited about?

EDIT: Just read a pretty interesting blog post by Monte Cook. LINK to it.

Edited by The Inner Geek

Sadly, I haven't had much time to go through it yet. I'm very excited about the setting. I don't have a whole lot of hope for the system, given that I'm not a huge fan of Monte Cook's design choices, but I'll be giving it a read-through. If it's decent, I'll use it, if not, I'll probably run it with FATE or Savage Worlds.

So I got to play it at ReaperCon with Monte Cook running and all I'll say is DAYUMM! The rules are complex enough for depth but so unobtrusive that it feels like you're cooperative story telling. Great game.

• Like 1

So I got to play it at ReaperCon with Monte Cook running and all I'll say is DAYUMM! The rules are complex enough for depth but so unobtrusive that it feels like you're cooperative story telling. Great game.

I remember you got to get in on that game... I was a wee bit jealous! I'm glad you liked the rules after having played. I understand things better by doing, so I can read them all I want, but I'll not really "get it" until I have a chance to put it into practice.

I assume the game was played with pre-gen characters? What did you play? Did you enjoy the way the character worked?

On a side note my copy of the physical book arrived last night! It seems like a well put together tome thus far. Though it almost felt odd not reading from a pdf on my tablet or pc.

• Like 1

I've been running Numenera non-stop for the past few months, and it has become my favorite RPG. The game takes very little prep time, often only writing down a couple of descriptors for an NPC is all you need. The system for setting challenges frees the GM up so much. You decide how hard something is, the player decides how much effort they want to put into accomplishing the task.. and that's it.  

A very fun,and very rewarding game, imho. 

• Like 2

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this