Basing Bones Figures

I'm looking for a good way to base Bones figures. I have done one in the past, just superglue and a plastic base and for general use it worked but, as superglue tends to do, it sheered off in transport.

Basing pewter - If it comes with a slotted base and a metal insert for the slot, superglue usually works well. I've done many of these and I think only 2 have had to be reglued due to sheering and they were a loose fit in the slot to start with. If it doesn't come with a base I superglue it to a washer, let that dry for a few hours, and then use spackle compound to cover the joint between the washer and the figure as well as make the base more continuous looking. I've probably done this as many times as I've used slotted bases and have never had a figure sheer off the base.

I'm just not sure how well this would work with Bones. Will the Bones figure glue to a washer well as a pewter figure? Will the spackle stick to the Bones as well as it does to metal? The big advantage would be that using a washer as a base would be more stable (Bones figures are sort of light and I'm guessing will be knocked over frequently when used). The disadvantage would be, as questioned above, I don't know if the Bones will adhere to metal and/or spackle compound as well as pewter does.

Are there any success or failure stories out there about basing Bones figures yet?

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm using large diameter washers. It should be no problem to glue them to it, but still same problems, sometimes the superglue will not hold. It happens normally only if the mini fall down.

It is important to boil them to flatten the bones bases or sanding them. Removing this Reaper inscription is important, too.

Edited by Teskal

I use some of these bases:

25mmsquarelipped.gif

I just cut the integral Bones base to fit in the space, then fill the base with putty and continue basing as per usual. I also do the same thing with metal integral bases sometimes.

Edited by Dai-Mongar
  • Like 3

I am using 1" x 1" slate backsplash tiles left over from a recent kitchen renovation. Bones adhere well to them with a little super glue. They have a nice weight to them and they were fairly cheap. I found them on clearance at Lowes for about $5 per sheet or about 30 cents per tile. Really nice option in my opinion.

I haven't taken any pics of my Bones on the bases yet but you can get an idea of the result here. http://www.reapermini.com/forum/index.php?/topic/49120-heros-quest-chaos-warrior/

Edited by Hex

I've been having a grand old time basing the pre-Kickstarter Bones I have. I've tried a combination of sticking the mini directly onto my basing / basing material:

wolfie2.jpg

I LOVE the Bones material because you can cut away the broccoli bases the figures stand on so easily! I also cut of Mr. Wolfie's toes and re-sculpted some new ones with green stuff so they curl around the log - again, haven't had any issues with the mini adhering to anything. He's quite stable and I didn't even need to pin him. Another bonus of having such light-weight material to work with.

unicorn2.jpg

For my Unicorn I cut off some of the broccoli base, then glued it to a dipped base and covered some of the original base with milliput and green stuff.

I plan to re-base pretty much all of my Bones minis when they arrive using the methods I've used above, I'm not a big fan of the broccoli bases and I know that some of the Bones figures need a bit of extra stability in their bases. I get most of my plastic bases on eBay, I can get 20 here for $4 AUD.

Edited by Cassu
  • Like 3

So far I have not had a single problem glueing bones to metal washers. I don't even take off the reaper logo. When using superglue a little dab will do you. It makes a very stong bond. I don't cut away the broccoili bases either. I use a bit of putty to fill out the gap and plan on just flocking the whole base. It may not be as pretty as custom bases but it is very fast. It is also cheap as I bought a box of 100 metal 1 inch fender washers from Home Depot for $9.

I've actually had really good luck with vinyl figures and plastic bases, even when dealing with very small feet. (I tend to trim away broccoli). How were you handling the figure that sheared away from the plastic base?

That said, Bones, Metal and spackle will stick just fine to a plastic base or a metal washer. I do recommend a gel superglue or even one with rubber in it (Gorrila "Impact Tough" or BSI "Instaflex+) that will give it a bit more shear resistance as the bond isn't as brittle as regular cyanoacrylates.

Update - Tried a few Bones on washer with spackle combos and it seems to work well.

Rats are a slight problem because the bones base is thicker and square so that the corners are close to the edge of the washer (one-inch washer) making it harder to build spackle up around the corners and still have it look good.

As mentioned elsewhere, try the Gorilla brand super glue. It has some stuff added to make it more flexible and less likely to snap like regular CA super glue.

Don't you have to clamp pieces glued with Gorilla Super glue since it expands as it sets? Or does it act differently from their regular Gorilla Glue? I've only ever had experience with the regular stuff. I'm just asking because I've been really happy with the regular Gorilla Glue, and if the super glue works well for Bones, I'm totally getting some. :)

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

As mentioned elsewhere, try the Gorilla brand super glue. It has some stuff added to make it more flexible and less likely to snap like regular CA super glue.

Don't you have to clamp pieces glued with Gorilla Super glue since it expands as it sets? Or does it act differently from their regular Gorilla Glue? I've only ever had experience with the regular stuff. I'm just asking because I've been really happy with the regular Gorilla Glue, and if the super glue works well for Bones, I'm totally getting some. :)

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

Gorilla "Impact Tough" Super glue is nothing like Regular gorilla Glue. It's just a cyanoacrylate (superglue) that has been slightly rubberized. No need to wet the surfaces, clamp or allow for expansion.

• Like 2

I tend to use Proxie Models' round bases for most of them. Just superglue them right down. For some you might need to slice/file some of the tiny bits of raised detail. When necessary I then use a bit of putty to even the base out. I like using them because they have the same footprints as many other popular game systems' and miniature ranges' bases - which keeps my painted figures much more consistent, whether they're being used in Pathfinder, Ravenloft or Warhammer - and they're dirt cheap to boot!

Edited by scipio.au