Bones Kickstarter #2 Pre-discussion

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

@Reaper communications issue: They're fulfilling orders, albiet with a few errors and a little off schedule (both of those being China's fault btw).

Some of the issues are down to china (missing faulty items in the vampire box), but some are down to Reaper (missing add ons, missing paint)

It's quite understandable that the occasional mistake is made (and I'm confident Reaper will fix them all in time), but it's not right to put it all down to China.

Two of the stores in my area got in on the Kickstarter (and one of them also grabbed a Vampire box at GAMA). Another is planning to place an order as soon as they become available.

The moral to this story is that everyone should move to Tucson.

• Like 2

Even though I'm likely to jump into Bones #2 with both feet, I have a few suggestions/requests for the fine folks at Reaper:

1. Plastic is best utilized for figures that are too expensive for metal equivalents. (Corollary: Plastic works well when combined with metal, because it's less likely to bend under its own weight—plastic wings on a metal dragon, for example, or a flowing cloak on a vampire.)
  2. Plastic is also more cost-effective than metal when it comes to rank-and-file minis. That is, if I need a dozen orcs, I'd rather pay Bones prices for them than Dark Heaven or Warlord prices—and it doesn't much matter if they don't have the full level of detail that a metal miniature does.
  3. If I need a "hero" figure—a "named" hero or villain, for example, or a figure that's going to need more detail—I prefer metal, and I don't mind paying metal prices.
  4. Smaller minis—the rank-and-file types, or what have you—have to be solid sculpts, by which I mean sculpts without narrow-gauge bits like spears and staves and so forth. That being said: I'm fine with small minis with spears and staves and so forth, IF the mini just has a socket where the item is meant to go, and comes with the spear/staff/sword or whatever as a separate metal piece that can be glued in by the end user.
  • Like 7

But if it starts so soon, won't they be in full-on planning stage around about now? i.e. while their last one hasn't finished. (Is what I'm getting at.)

in fact no. We aren't in planning meetings that aren't conversation at lunch. We are on the floor shipping rewards. And examining packages for errors. And filling out customs declarations. And so on.

When We ship the last reward and the last replacement part, We will dust off the old spreadsheet and crack open a new can of worms.

Although, we did ask our concept artists and sculptors to think up cool things, but since none of them are shipping the rewards, it hardly subtracts from our output.

Although, we did ask our concept artists and sculptors to think up cool things

OH NO YOU DINT HOW DARE YOU

This is clearly yet another insidious insider plot at Reaper to convince artists to create awesome things that you will then sell to us at reasonable prices with good customer service.

I've had enough of your nefarious ways!

• Like 20

Kinda surprised they want to put themselves through this again.

I'll probably have to pass on this one though, can't justify another big box of Bones when I've barely touched my first one.

I'm not sure I can justify more bones when they still haven't shipped mine yet.

Honestly, I am still waiting patiently for a shipping notice. However, after spending months telling my wife and friends that my bones are coming soon I would be a laughing stock if I told them I was thinking about doing it again.

As others have said though, maybe if I just lower my expectations about shipping it might be worth doing.

But if it starts so soon, won't they be in full-on planning stage around about now? i.e. while their last one hasn't finished. (Is what I'm getting at.)

in fact no. We aren't in planning meetings that aren't conversation at lunch. We are on the floor shipping rewards. And examining packages for errors. And filling out customs declarations. And so on.

When We ship the last reward and the last replacement part, We will dust off the old spreadsheet and crack open a new can of worms.

Although, we did ask our concept artists and sculptors to think up cool things, but since none of them are shipping the rewards, it hardly subtracts from our output.

Thanks for the clarification Bryan. I'm thinking about this KS now that my rewards have arrived, but I do feel for those who haven't even had a shipping notification yet. It must sting to have news about another KS floating around when they haven't even heard about the status of their order from the first one yet.

Again; you thought you'd be done right now, you wanted to announce this at GenCon, etc. etc. It's all just very unfortunate timing.

• Like 2

I feel for the ROW backers who have not heard a status update. I would hope that a short script could be written to extract the non shipped emails and send them a short note regarding status. Good will towards the future is hard to come by, but priceless when lost.

• Like 1

Not only does that not make any sense, that's not the way the world works. I'm not complaining because Orlando is getting his GoblinAid minis before I do (from a UK distro, he lives in UK and I live in US).

• Like 2

Truth is until there are more RoW backers than US ones they should prioritise US shipping.

I'm also confident they will be changing some planing and scheduling for KS2 based on the KS1 experience.

If anything I expect a delivery window close to 12 months for KS2. Reaper's goal would then be to have 100% of required product on hand at the 9 month mark and then spend months 10-12 shipping. Setting less than that as the goal seems unrealistic, and a path to yet more negative feedback.

----------

As to "all new sculpts" I suspect it means "to Bones" except for the obvious reality of producing more new large models. If KS1 has shown us anything its that Bones is great for big models. 2 big Fire Giants for less than 1 metal one, 1/2 price dragons etc. The ability to cast different parts in different plastics to suit needs just makes the advantages even clearer. Better yet Bones means going bigger is much easier (I was surprised the Cloud and Storm giants were so small tbh), so the "bigger" part could well be a clue as to the "new sculpts" part.

Still I hope we see lots of Rank & File support for Warlord so all the factions have solid troop support.

• Like 1

I have a lead on a lobster pot.

Might be tricky to heat the water in a lobster pot.

^_^

Seamantics.

I sea what you did there........

Oh and back on target, a nice mix of new and old would be great. I'd like the old ice giants, but some new stone giants would be awesome. I'd like stormwing and blightfang, but a reimagined gauth would rock.

I'm still waiting for my Part 1 goodies (tomorrow, I hope!), but I'm certainly leaning towards backing Part II, depending on the details. I'd love to see ROW ship before USA though, so that everyone across the world can get their packages at roughly the same time :)