Sign in to follow this  
MonkeySloth

Bones Kickstarter #2 Pre-discussion

I imagine that this KS will have considerably more supporters than the first. There seems to be a LOT of people out there who are kicking themselves for having missed the bus the first time around. I mentioned the rumblings of a new KS on Facebook the other day, and there are at least a half dozen painters that I know who will be signing up as new supporters. Assuming that lessons in communications and shipping problems are learned, I think the new campaign holds a lot of promise.

The Egg

I purchased at least of one of every available bones while I was waiting for my big box......and I know I am not the only one.

I did that, too.

• Like 1

Double sink? I'm not the Monopoly Man!

Do you have 2 cauldrons?

What? Like he's some sort of mushroom-potion brewing, cannibalistic blue goblin?! Heresy!

;)

I'm in.

Very much so.

I just found this thread, though I saw the pic of the flyer a few days ago. I've been hoping to hear about a second Kickstarter since the last one ended. I'm a non-minis-hobbyist, and I only wanted these for RPG purposes. Back in the day, I never bought minis except in rare instances. I couldn't afford them and game books (my primary hobby expense), and I wasn't very interested in painting them. So Bones were perfect for me, and I got to make up for about 30 years of not buying minis in one fell swoop. Even after sifting through the wealth of Bones I received a while back, I was eager for more: more classic D&D-style monsters, more giants (and titans), at least one Kaladrax-sized "living" dragon (y'know that Colossal Red that WotC made for its DDM line? At least that big). I've already posted numerous times in the "Bones You'd Like to See" threads, but those I just mentioned are a good start. More Chronoscope - I NEED those Terminator-looking robots in Bones!

Just like jlblack, I always wanted miniatures and always wanted to try out d&d or some type or table top rpg, but with everything being expensive, I never jumped in. Then accidentally stumbling across bones kickstarter, I thought to myself, hey, $100 for 30 isn't too bad, I wonder what this site is about. Looked around and a few days later they were funded past the fire it up stage. And I decided to join in. No regrets. I am waiting for the first set of bones to come out so i can go on a spending spree for some of the ones I have missed. I need some extra driders and some extra water creatures and some giants and some large creatures. I have a christmas list all set up and ready to go. ^_^

• Like 3

I'm in. No hesitation, no trepidation. I went in on the first one with no intention whatsoever of painting everything that arrived. Rather, I have a big box of minis from which I can draw characters and NPCs on an as-needed basis. As a gamemaster I love being able to pull out exactly (or pretty darned close) what I need for any situation. Of course, my love of painting has also been rekindled so that makes me happy too. KS2:BBB will add to my stable of RPG personalities and monsters.

As for it being all new sculpts, I agree with the earlier post that such a statement likely applies to what's covered by the initial funding goal. Stretch goals are anybody's guess. I'm personally hoping to see more dragons. Specifically, I'd like to see Cinder, Stormwing and Blightfang make appearances from the existing line.

I guess now that Gen Con's over I'd better to get to work finishing the craft room.

• Like 3

Wow, how did I not find this thread earlier?!

We (husband and I) were very pleased with this KS for the value and for what it gave us: nearly 250 minis that we can game with. I'm also among those anxiously awaiting post-mortem on this one, as well as rather surprised that they're willing to put themselves through this all over again so very soon.

What I'd love to see from KS 2: Return of the Bones:

1) MOAR TRANSLUCENT BONES!! Those things are serious awesomeness, and really add a lot of coolness to the board. Aside from the dragons, those are the ones that tend to attract the most interest from those that I've shown the minis to. There's a lot of neat things that could be done with the translucent material, such as elementals and more spell effects (Wall of Force, anyone?), etc. Plus, that's not something that can be reproduced in metal.

2) More monsters!!!! We've got more than enough amazing PC and NPC sculpts, but we're having to keep using whatever random monster minis we got from KS 1 as substitutes (okay, pretend that this zombie is actually a bone drinker, and this goblin over here is actually the lion that the druid just summoned).

3a) More mounts!! Horses, wolves, dragons, dinosaurs, whatever. It's difficult to convey that a mini is mounted (which oftentimes matters in gaming because rules) without trying to perch it on top of something (pretend this dice box is actually a horse).

3b) More animals! This sort of goes along with "more mounts," but more animals for summoning and attacking would be really nice. Our druid has to keep reusing kobolds and goblins to represent stuff.

4) More dragons! Not because they're liable to actually be used all that much in our games (...hopefully). Just because they're awesome.

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

Edited by OneBoot
  • Like 4

I am in as well, not sure if we will double up this time. I need to get painting!

Speaking of translucent Bones, since Bones tend to be pre-assembled multiparts...how about translucents integrated into regular Bones? A torch or wizard's spell or dragon's breath. I guess a fully translucent mini then painted all but the effect would work, too...

• Like 4

I concur on the monsters, but with one exception, non-human minis.

There is 4 dwarves, and two are female, one is a wizard (both rare occurences in any fantasy world), leaving just one real usable by characters miniature.

Same with elves (although with archers with hooded capes this can be avoided) and in a small scale (no pun intended) halflings and gnomes.

So I hope, some character miniatures, lots of monsters, minions, mounts, animals (giant ones are here), not so much fan of giants (but I can see the appeal), some chronoscope, and one or two CAV.

I can even would like to see some PDF here, as long as it is related to the miniature world (Rulebook of Warlord, How to paint stuff, Reaper art of Miniature Painting, and so on...).

And paints, lots of it (I miss in the first one, and it was THE mistake I made).