Sign in to follow this  
MonkeySloth

Bones Kickstarter #2 Pre-discussion

I am going to put my two cents in for a $100 pledge that allows you to choose somewhere between 30 and 35 models (Reaper's decision on size) worth of Bones models. But, this does not mean it is actually 30 models. It could be be less models. How? I am glad you asked! I have worked up a way for this idea to work beautifully. A standard base size model is worth 1 model. A large base size model is worth 1.5 models. A giant base size model is worth 2 models. So, you can choose any combination of models you want, so long as they add up to the 30 models (or whatever number Reaper chooses). Now, this will entail a LOT of bookkeeping on Reaper's part, but they would get customers like myself to pledge that would not normally do so. I did not pledge Bones I, and if Bones II is similar to Bones I, then I will most likely not pledge that one either. A random grab bag of assorted minis, metal or plastic, is not my thing.

Wild Bill :blues:

I know people like to choose A and not B, plus extras of D, M and Q, but that really can only slow things down.

I've been wondering if they will take steps to reduce the number of options that people can play with to simplify fulfillment.

I purchased at least of one of every available bones while I was waiting for my big box......and I know I am not the only one.

Yup. I'm not sure I had even heard about Reaper prior to KS1 (I hadn't really been in to minis outside of GW and D&D prepaints), but while I was waiting for my big box I bought ten of their existing bones and God knows how much Reaper paint. They certainly did get a lot of publicity.

This. I had never heard of Reaper before the Kickstarter, but now I'm hooked. Count me in for KS #2 as well!

over on rpg.net I started a wishlist: http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?699931-Bones-2-wishlist

1. Scenery.

2. Bases.

3. Airbrush paints.

4. Colored primers.

5. Weathering pigments.

6. Instructional videos.

Stuff that Reaper isn't really doing any of now but that I'd love to see them do. I could never figure out the lack of cool bases for example, especially since so many people hate the broccoli ones. The rest is just stuff I'd like to see Reaper catch up to others like AK Interactive and Vallejo.

You forgot Cthulhu and Wyrmgear.

Fixed. Thanks Gobbo for checking my list. Almost hit your biggest number.

• Like 1

How about Kally? That was a new sculpt of another mini, but still a new sculpt.

He's on the list. "Kaladrax Reborn." Listed 5th.

I think he's too expensive for them to bother converting to metal. My point is that a large portion of the list can be converted to metal. I doubt all of them will be.

Sorry I missed that.

Apparently they are all easy to miss. :) I missed a few others as well, after looking at the list. I didn't take into account that the list was updated somewhat with Bones SKUs. Will update my list above in a few minutes when I take that spreadsheet apart and get the full list. Will sort it again by name as well.

And I also forgot to mention all of the old sculpt to converted sculpt options they included.

• Colossal Giant
  • Mr. Bones

Just to name two that could be re-issued in metal with their new look.

Edited by Thrym

over on rpg.net I started a wishlist: http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?699931-Bones-2-wishlist

1. Scenery.

2. Bases.

3. Airbrush paints.

4. Colored primers.

5. Weathering pigments.

6. Instructional videos.

Stuff that Reaper isn't really doing any of now but that I'd love to see them do. I could never figure out the lack of cool bases for example, especially since so many people hate the broccoli ones. The rest is just stuff I'd like to see Reaper catch up to others like AK Interactive and Vallejo.

all those things you can buy anywhere

Reaper Miniatures not

I am going to put my two cents in for a $100 pledge that allows you to choose somewhere between 30 and 35 models (Reaper's decision on size) worth of Bones models. But, this does not mean it is actually 30 models. It could be be less models. How? I am glad you asked! I have worked up a way for this idea to work beautifully. A standard base size model is worth 1 model. A large base size model is worth 1.5 models. A giant base size model is worth 2 models. So, you can choose any combination of models you want, so long as they add up to the 30 models (or whatever number Reaper chooses). Now, this will entail a LOT of bookkeeping on Reaper's part, but they would get customers like myself to pledge that would not normally do so. I did not pledge Bones I, and if Bones II is similar to Bones I, then I will most likely not pledge that one either. A random grab bag of assorted minis, metal or plastic, is not my thing.

Wild Bill :blues:

I've been wondering if they will take steps to reduce the number of options that people can play with to simplify fulfillment.

yes only 1 choice and no rewards ^_^

the kickstarter is to make more money, the more options the more minis they can sale

Reaper paints are already suitable to thin a bit and push through an airbrush.

You let them dry and voila Weathering pigments :bday:

On the one hand, KS1 fulfillment was clearly more than Reaper could handle. On the other hand, KS1 was so wildly successful I'd be reluctant to modify the formula too much!

Goblyn, you are a bad, bad man.

• Like 1

How about Kally? That was a new sculpt of another mini, but still a new sculpt.

He's on the list. "Kaladrax Reborn." Listed 5th.

I think he's too expensive for them to bother converting to metal. My point is that a large portion of the list can be converted to metal. I doubt all of them will be.

I'd wager that the same would apply to Cthulhu. I'd also wager that Nethyrmaul (and maybe Wyrmgear), if converted to metal, would easily be placed among the more expensive metal dragons.

It's worth noting that the original Nethyrmaul sculpt was larger than the one being produced in bonesium (PVC?) (something about balancing a cost increase from Kaladrax accidentally being bigger than intended). It was easily made smaller because the Bones molds are cut into steal by laser (I believe) - a process handled by computers which can scale the 3D scan of the sculpt in any way you like. Aren't molds for metal figures created out of a hard rubber which is formed around the parts of the original sculpt? If all of these things are true, one of three things would happen in converting Nethyrmaul to metal:

1) They'd use the original, larger sculpt, thereby substantially increasing the cost (and size) of a metal Nethyrmaul.

2) They'd find a way to make a mold for metal using a bonesium figure as the master model.

3) They'd make a new sculpt, smaller than the original but about the same size as Bonesium.

With that, my hopes for Kickstarter #2 include more halflings/gnomes/dwarves, more animals/familiars, more monsters of all types, and cavalry.

I'd wager that the same would apply to Cthulhu. I'd also wager that Nethyrmaul (and maybe Wyrmgear), if converted to metal, would easily be placed among the more expensive metal dragons.

It's worth noting that the original Nethyrmaul sculpt was larger than the one being produced in bonesium (PVC?) (something about balancing a cost increase from Kaladrax accidentally being bigger than intended). It was easily made smaller because the Bones molds are cut into steal by laser (I believe) - a process handled by computers which can scale the 3D scan of the sculpt in any way you like. Aren't molds for metal figures created out of a hard rubber which is formed around the parts of the original sculpt? If all of these things are true, one of three things would happen in converting Nethyrmaul to metal:

1) They'd use the original, larger sculpt, thereby substantially increasing the cost (and size) of a metal Nethyrmaul.

2) They'd find a way to make a mold for metal using a bonesium figure as the master model.

3) They'd make a new sculpt, smaller than the original but about the same size as Bonesium.

With that, my hopes for Kickstarter #2 include more halflings/gnomes/dwarves, more animals/familiars, more monsters of all types, and cavalry.

I'm sure there are several of the miniatures that aren't worth reproducing in metal whether it is the cost to get it to metal, how much the metal mini would be or if people will spend the money on it.

One of the things that I'd like to see would be new sculptures that take more advantage of the injection molding.