Bones Kickstarter #2 Pre-discussion

MonkeySloth

I just hope they have realistically planned stretch goals set up to at least a million at launch. If they delay announcing them until after they're hit there's gonna be all kinds of nerdrage going.

EDIT: Oh. And I'd like more monsters, less characters. Pretty much.

Do you mean revealed goals all up front?

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think he means that if, for example, the KS hits $100,000 right off the bat before Reaper posts any stretch goals, he doesn't want Reaper to skip posting any stretch goals that they may have had under that number.

That's really a nonissue though, as the KS is for funding very specific things that Reaper wants, or wants to produce. I think there'll be plenty of time within the kickstarters run to adjust the stretch goals and juggle the rewards to ensure that everything they wanted to include gets included, just like Reaper did in their first KS.

Not necessarily revealed, but a roadmap like last time up to a big enough number. Considering this will hit a million in no time it'd be nice to see the stretch goals all planned out before we mow through them.

Besides it assures backers that Reaper didn't wizard away a few goals that would have been in, and hit, if stuff moved at a reasonable pace. Something I've seen happen before, in all probability, and it can cause some rage.

Edit: I'm not to worried about that for my own part as we'll most definitely get our moneys worth no matter what. I would however like the minimum amount of rage induction this time around. Makes the comments a much nicer place to hang out :P

Also seeing goals smashed is part of the fun on KS, and would no doubt help fuel the fire.

Edited by araziel
  • Like 1

While Reaper did have the first level, the graveyard, visible right from the start, the numbers of each of the stretch goals were only unveiled on the tombstones as we went along. The dollar amounts of all the stretch goals were not visible right at the start as you seem to be implying.

Besides, Reaper admitted that they shuffled/juggled/balanced stretch goals constantly throughout the first kickstarter depending on backer feedback on what was and was not popular, the speed and growth of the KS, and financial considerations.

I think that it would be unwise of Reaper to lay all their cards on the table for all to see and I don't expect them to. Seems to me their strategy for the first one worked pretty well.

• Like 10

The first one was excitng.

I agree. I think having two goals revealed at a time (the current goal and the 'on deck' goal) is fine. I especially liked the subtle clues that were dropped like the shape of some of the tombstones indicating a dragon or paint bottle, etc.

Doing it that way keeps people coming back to see what next goal is and gives Reaper the flexibility to juggle the stretch goals around behind the scenes. The stretch goal map is one thing I don't feel there is any need to change for KS2:BBB.

Edited by Dan Goodchild
  • Like 4

I don't know, I feel that the backers have evolved a bit since the first one, more of a reveal is great as people have things to work for, whereas if the current reveal is unexciting, then it can take a while to push through.

It's an interesting situation as there will definitely be things people don't like and if the reveal is too slow people will get grumpy, if they reveal too much, they're locked in and people can get bored with no 'exciting surprises'.

On the other hand if someone doesn't like the next 4 (number pulled at random from hat) reveals they might tune out long enough to lose interest. A shorter reveal cycle is kinda like the old weather joke; if you don't like the current stretch goal just wait a minute, it'll change.

Edited by Dan Goodchild

Hmm. Both ideas about reveals have merit. In the end, I don't think it matters. Personally, I would keep it the same. I have friends that really regret missing the first one. If this one looks like the same format, there will be an assumption that things will go the same way with this oe.

What really has me curious is whether ROW backers from last time will be happy with the first go around and tuck into this one.

I haven't seen a miniatures based kickstarter do better than Reapers yet. No-one's come up with a better system so far.

Besides. If backers have changed, then its up to us veterans to smack 'em upside the head and learn 'em how we do things old school.

:;):

• Like 6

I think the pace of the revealing in the first KS was just about perfect. Bryan had stated that they had stretch goals worked out from the very beginning to the 4,000,000 mark. I think they have that portion of the KS worked out very well, so well that a lot of successful kickstarters followed the same format.

• Like 4

The first one was excitng.

So much so it gave birth to the living embodiment of Bones--Buglips.

It's not having your parents shot dead in front of you, or a trip in an interstellar pram to escape a catstrophic planetary explosion, but it's an origin story I'm still proud of.

And now I fight evil in Kaladrax jammies as the superhero Bonelips. By which I mean I steal Games Workshop stuff and leave Casket Works in their place.

Also I drink milk straight from the carton in the homes I break into, and sometimes reset all the settings of electronics I find.

• Like 5

Hmm. Both ideas about reveals have merit. In the end, I don't think it matters. Personally, I would keep it the same. I have friends that really regret missing the first one. If this one looks like the same format, there will be an assumption that things will go the same way with this oe.

What really has me curious is whether ROW backers from last time will be happy with the first go around and tuck into this one.

I'm from Germany and I will happily take part in a second Bones Kickstarter (and I have only good things to say about the first one).

I really liked the way stretch goals were revealed and I think they could do worse than stick to that.

• Like 1

I'm from Germany and I will happily take part in a second Bones Kickstarter (and I have only good things to say about the first one).

I really liked the way stretch goals were revealed and I think they could do worse than stick to that.

I'm glad to hear this. I know there was some challenges towards the end. I hope that once people get there Bones in hand, they understand that a KickStarter that went to this magnitude will have mistakes happen and everyone deserves a chance to correct them.

Edited by MiniCannuck