Bones Kickstarter #2 Pre-discussion

MonkeySloth

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Whatever timing works best, I'm good with.

The only thing I ask is that if you are making a Buglips model, that it be shipped separatly from the other models in the KS.

... I'm just not sure what it would do to the other miniatures.

• Like 2

Whatever timing works best, I'm good with.

The only thing I ask is that if you are making a Buglips model, that it be shipped separatly from the other models in the KS.

... I'm just not sure what it would do to the other miniatures.

Or the paint. I don't want all of my paint to go mysteriously missing en route.

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

• Like 2

Think of our planning like sticky notes on a wallboard. A particular minis group might bet pushed sooner or later in the project, to suit demand and intrigue. But we had everything written out, and for the most part, the art, ready in advance - if changes needed to be made, we'd just retype the text and make a new graphic.

I think you will see many similarities in terms of style, because a great deal of what we did worked well, and a few new things, because a few things we did had not worked so well.

Hey Bryan,

Thanks for updating us as always ;)

I'd be really interested in hearing what you didn't think worked well. What needs changing, from your perspective?

I had typed in a bunch of stuff, then realized I'm not really authorized to discuss specifics - and truth be told, all I can tell you is my opinion at this point, since our first planning meeting wherein we cover that stuff hasn't happened.

But assuming all the decisions were entirely mine with no feedback from the rest of Reaper, and being aware that this is 100% speculation and MY PERSONAL (not professional) OPINION:

Suffice to say I'd make a few changes to graphical presentation, like changing the color of backgrounds on Bonus (Vampire add-on) minis and a different color for Optional minis for which you must pledge More. One Green one Blue, for instance. I'd want to avoid red, that tends to be a "warning" color, and it would confuse our red/green colorblind backers.

I'd adjust the math to reflect some of our more painful lessons. This would mean that if you lined the 2 campaigns up side by side they would not be mirrors of each other. Further, I'd go for a much wider selection of critters than of persons. Right now, DHBones has 60-70 Persons* and 126-136 Monsters* - which is about 1:3 PC:Monster ratio and isn't too bad, really. I think the gnoll-size monsters and up worked better than the people sized monsters, at that, so I'd focus on monsters that RPGs would classify as Large or larger. Ratio wise I'd go for maybe 1:4 or 1:5, because there's still a few important PC style niches to fill - a few more vikings, more barbarians, more variation in nonhumans, and then some monk/ninja/samurai.

I'd also take more cat-naps throughout the campaign, and work fewer weekends if I could.

*depending on how you classify them. For instance, I didn't count any of the Dark Elves as Persons, and among the Necromancers I counted only Terezinya and Ghoul Queen, thinking the others to not really be "PC" styled. It's subjective though, so count them however you think makes sense to you.

Right now, DHBones has 60-70 Persons* and 126-136 Monsters* - which is about 1:3 PC:Monster ratio and isn't too bad, really.

*depending on how you classify them. For instance, I didn't count any of the Dark Elves as Persons, and among the Necromancers I counted only Terezinya and Ghoul Queen, thinking the others to not really be "PC" styled. It's subjective though, so count them however you think makes sense to you.

Which begs the question, dear Forumites, if you counted every DHBones model into one of either "character" or "NPC/Monster" category, what would YOUR classifications/ratios be? How close is my count to yours (collectively)?

Thank you for sharing, Bryan, it's always shiny to get some behind the scenes perspective. ::):

So, in your 100% personal, not professional, taken with a shaker of salt opinion; what are the odds we'll see some Anhurians in Bones II: Plastic Boogaloo? :;):

Thanks for the opinion Bryan - I'm sure that your voice will be heard and these ideas will be taken into consideration.

From my experiences with my Bones minis, I totally agree. The human sized minis are nice but where Bones really excells in in the larger models. Not only do they come in at an amazing price but the models don't bend as much and the detail suits their size. It also makes it easier to transport these models around because of the reduced weight.

I'm glad to hear that the format will most likely stay similar to the first KS. It was a lot of fun (though I'm sure it was tiring for you) and really developed a community that you don't see on the other comment boards. It felt like we were shift workers with Europe starting the day off for us, the east coast clocking in a few hours later and winding down with the west coast. I didn't forget about the Australians and Asians but they seemed crazier than the rest of us and logged on all the time!