Bones Kickstarter #2 Pre-discussion

MonkeySloth

Stepping back a bit, earlier in this same thread somebody said that we didn't need to do any more dragons, we had enough. and now several people are saying that we do.

You do realize it is not possible to make everybody happy with this, right? SOme of you are going to see stretch goals that have minis you absolutely do not want, and some of those models might even be freebies we "force" you to take (Yes, that was a thing people wrote angry e-mails about) or options that because you have no interest, you consider boring and a waste of time?

Given that, knowing that even WITHIN OUR OUWN FORUM we cannot please just the participants of this thread, please be patient and understanding of us when we make decisions that you don't like, but we made for business reasons. For us, the bottom line is "what models do the BONES Ranges NEED to have?", which may not share the same answers as "what models do I want for my display shelf/tabletop game/box in the bottom of my closet?"

If you all agree to accept that, I might be able to coax permisison for a few facts or even a photo...

I promise! Frankly you could just show me a cube of white plastic, call it a gelatinous cube, and I'd be ecstatic.

• Like 4

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

..."what models do I want for my ... box in the bottom of my closet?"

If you all agree to accept that, I might be able to coax permisison for a few facts or even a photo...

You know us too well sir!

And please stay out of my closet.

There's... There's things in there. Lead things...

• Like 2

Yea I'm going to be happy with whatever I get if I dont like it I'm sure I can always just trade it. I just really like dragons whatever reaper includes in this will be great.

Stepping back a bit, earlier in this same thread somebody said that we didn't need to do any more dragons, we had enough. and now several people are saying that we do.

You do realize it is not possible to make everybody happy with this, right? SOme of you are going to see stretch goals that have minis you absolutely do not want, and some of those models might even be freebies we "force" you to take (Yes, that was a thing people wrote angry e-mails about) or options that because you have no interest, you consider boring and a waste of time?

Given that, knowing that even WITHIN OUR OUWN FORUM we cannot please just the participants of this thread, please be patient and understanding of us when we make decisions that you don't like, but we made for business reasons. For us, the bottom line is "what models do the BONES Ranges NEED to have?", which may not share the same answers as "what models do I want for my display shelf/tabletop game/box in the bottom of my closet?"

And yes please I'll accept anything just for more info lol

For us, the bottom line is "what models do the BONES Ranges NEED to have?", which may not share the same answers as "what models do I want for my display shelf/tabletop game/box in the bottom of my closet?"

I wouldn't want Reaper to do anything but that, to be honest. No matter how many awesome niche miniatures you could release in Bones, I'd rather it not happen if it did more harm than good for the company (because that would ultimately result in us getting fewer miniatures).

Maybe I'm in the minority, but there's nothing in the first Kickstarter that I didn't like (I'm not counting QC hiccups like the No-Nose Gang). Even now, I'm working on my IMEF squad... I can't wait to post them in the Show Off forum once they're all done! ::D:

• Like 7

You will always have much wailing and gnashing of teeth from some people, and I am sure anything that is released will cause that to some degree. Even the start/end date will set some people off (do it later so I have Birthday money, do it sooner because I am going on vacation then...). Personally, I am largely indifferent. I would like more dragons, but have more dragons than I need. I cant really think of a strong position I have other than rumblings and mumblings I have heard elsewhere indicate an untapped market for wargamers that Bones would serve nicely, though that would give a lot of strict RPG players collective wedgies as they dont have the need for a set of three lancers or a group of 5 orc archers with slightly different poses

That said, more information, the better. It would be good to keep the news sites, forums and blogs popping as we are several weeks past the GenCon flyers and probably a couple weeks till we crash the KS server with 15,000 or so day one pledges.

• Like 1

Enough Dragons, is that possible?

How should we tell that we all agree? I agree.

Still hoping for Warlord PDF Rulebooks...

Yea I'm going to be happy with whatever I get if I dont like it I'm sure I can always just trade it.

Or mod it. Or use it for painting practice. Or chop it up and use it as bits for bases/scenery. ::P:

lol yea I could always use them for modding and painting practice since I'm getting into sculpting and am by NO means any good at painting to say I enjoy miniatures so much lol

Ultimately all talk aside people will vote with their wallet - people that don't want things aren't going to give you money for those things they don't want.

People that want things will.

All we can tell you is what we want (or don't) and mostly all we have to judge by is what models already exists.

Some people don't WANT stuff - that's fine - they will show you that with their wallet (and pointless angry ranting on the internet) - but my gut feeling is there are more miniature enthusiasts out there that will BUY large cheap bones dragons like Gauth (or bigger and better) than people that won't.

Regarding new sculpts - we don't know what is even possible yet - so we cannot express if we want it or not! We might want something else more, but we have to see it before we can express that want. What I do know and can totally express to you now is - I personally want a bones Gauth - that doesn't preclude me wanting something bigger and better as well. It also won't make me hate reaper if a bones Gauth doesn't appear. Though judging by the internets general acidity I can see why you are now a little camera shy of saying ANYTHING without prefacing it with a "don't get upset" comment.

But ultimately you shouldn't be scared of upsetting a few people - people will vote with their wallet in the end, and that is how it should be judged - now please tell us something, ANYTHING!

Given that, knowing that even WITHIN OUR OUWN FORUM we cannot please just the participants of this thread, please be patient and understanding of us when we make decisions that you don't like, but we made for business reasons. For us, the bottom line is "what models do the BONES Ranges NEED to have?", which may not share the same answers as "what models do I want for my display shelf/tabletop game/box in the bottom of my closet?

I promise to be extra good.

Edited by dglass

I promise! Frankly you could just show me a cube of white plastic, call it a gelatinous cube, and I'd be ecstatic.

OT, But here's a DIY gelantinous cube tutorial: http://mallencreations.blogspot.com/2012/12/so-i-this-great-of-guy-hollowed-out.html

I wouldn't mind a transparent Bones figure that saved me the trouble of the caulking gun...

• Like 1

I decided on some mummies, another colossal skeleton, and some walls of fire and burning spheres. Fire effects are something I suspect I may need in outrageous quantity now that people are approaching level three spells.

So begins the time of The Great Burnination.

I'm going to need several more walls of fire now that I'm getting into Mage Wars.

Crikey! Reaper, get with Arcane Wonders and make a deal to produce a line of Bones figs/spell effects to use with their game! You've got a great start on what's needed already! Worst case, produce 'similar' models to what's needed for that game (that aren't already covered in Bones)! <drool>

Yeah, I just find the Bestsellers list a bit weird. Especially given how much griping I heard about the familiars. This is probably why Reaper only half-listens to us, because the stats prove different things from what's vocally expressed.

"We don't want familiars! They're icky and small!"

*Familiars on bestseller list*

Reaperbryan: "You kids don't know what you want! That's why you're still kids, because you're stupid!"

1: the forum users, while easy to reach, very vocal, and confident in Their needs, do not necessarily reflect the buying habits and usage patterns of our typical consumer. Thus we actively seek their input, and then run it through other perception filters, like sales data.

2:plenty of adults are stupid, too.

But how can you gage the 'typical consumer's' response to things like Warlord when they have such little exposure to it...? Hah! ;p

Surely, but if they're still planning what figures they want to include for a KS they're going to launch in a month or two, I'd be mighty surprised if they managed to get any substantial of new sculpts for it.

One difference is that with the Bones process I believe the model masters could all just be done digitally (I have no clue if Reaper is/will go that route or still start with greens). If so, the design phase could go faster...