Kickstarter Mythos Figures

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I always thought the Faceless Horror was too big to be a gibbering mouther and was actually based on D&D's demon prince Jubilex. I seem to recall it came out about the same time as figures bearing a resemblance to Orcus, Demogorgon, etc.

I always thought the Faceless Horror was too big to be a gibbering mouther and was actually based on D&D's demon prince Jubilex. I seem to recall it came out about the same time as figures bearing a resemblance to Orcus, Demogorgon, etc.

Could be. It could easily be used for Juiblex, depending on how it's painted.

IIRC, A name or two got switched around, so don't worry about it. While the images of various mythos monsters have been standardized, the original descriptions were almost non-existent. I don't recall any mythos pics of a creature with a single round eyeball like the Reaper shoggoth, although I've only followed the Chaosium art and RAFM sculpts. And, as Cthulhu Wars put it, it's a challenge to portray yet another formless thing with eyes and teeth...

"It was a terrible, indescribable thing vaster than any subway train—a shapeless congeries of protoplasmic bubbles, faintly self-luminous, and with myriads of temporary eyes forming and un-forming as pustules of greenish light all over the tunnel-filling front that bore down upon us, crushing the frantic penguins and slithering over the glistening floor that it and its kind had swept so evilly free of all litter." — H. P. Lovecraft, At The Mountains of Madness

One thing for sure is I would love to see more. Like a bones figure of a "fungi from Yuggoth"!

Or even a Fun Guy from Yuggoth? (not to be confused with Narlythotep, the surfer with a thousand toes).

The Auld Grump

I always thought it was a gibbering mouther from d&d?

gibbmout.gif

In Pathfinder a Gibbering Mouther is a lesser Shoggoth.... They were both created by the same Elder Things.... So, it'll do for either.

The Auld Grump

• Like 3

Shoggoths are supposed to be really big, so it would take a bunch of Mouther's to equal one shoggoth

Or dropping the Advanced template on it a few times...

As for size... it depends on the Shoggoth - most are huge, but at least one was of a size and had enough control to pass as human in Call of Cthulhu....

The Auld Grump, I wanna see Yog Sothoth... my favorite of the Mythos....