dispatchdave

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Currently reading the Book IV of the Sundering Series (The Reaver), by Richard Lee Byers. This is a new series by multiple authors kicking off the changes to the Forgotten Realms world.

Richard's a great guy, and he had a good time writing that one. Have you read Blind God's Bluff by him? It's set in Tampa and it's one of my favorites.

No, I haven't read that one, but I'll put it on my list as I'm enjoying his writing style. Thanks for the heads-up about it!

I'm currently re-reading the entire "Mary Russell" mystery series for like the umpteenth time, because they're awesome and one of my most favorite series (serieses? seri?). The premise is that a young woman every bit as brilliant as Sherlock Holmes bumps into the man himself, and she becomes his apprentice. Awesomeness ensues. The first book of the series is The Beekeeper's Apprentice.

...I just realized that I should probably actually be rereading The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson, since the second book comes out the beginning of next month (eeee!!!) and the first book is 1000 pages of epic that I should probably refresh my memory about before diving into the second one when it comes. I've been really looking forward to it, and have even had reserved shelf space for it beginning about 2 months ago (when it was supposed to come out originally  :grr: ). Of course, the thing is going to be so massive that making space for it ahead of time is sort of the only option; otherwise, it would be perched precariously on top of the other books, just waiting to fall on someone and crush them.  :lol:

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

• Like 3

...I just realized that I should probably actually be rereading The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson, since the second book comes out the beginning of next month (eeee!!!) and the first book is 1000 pages of epic that I should probably refresh my memory about before diving into the second one when it comes. I've been really looking forward to it, and have even had reserved shelf space for it beginning about 2 months ago (when it was supposed to come out originally  :grr: ). Of course, the thing is going to be so massive that making space for it ahead of time is sort of the only option; otherwise, it would be perched precariously on top of the other books, just waiting to fall on someone and crush them.  :lol:

Huzzah!

I tried to read The Way of Kings, got about 12% into it (as per what my kindle says) and put it aside. I just couldn't get into it, too slow for me. I was disappointed because I really enjoyed Sanderson's Mistborn series and how well he did with the WoT stuff.

Does it get a lot better past the 100-120 page mark, should I try again?

• Like 1

Hm, I'd say the first 1/3 is setting up all the setting and characters and deliciously complex storylines. The second 1/3 is tension building, learning more about stuff as things start really happening and the action picks up a lot. And then the last glorious 1/3 is what is affectionately termed "The Sanderson Avalanche" that always means that I cannot put the book down when I'm in this part until I'm done. This is where everything comes crashing together and it sweeps you away in a marvelous tidal wave of action and plot and character stuff.

It starts off slow because he's got 1000 pages in which to build things, so he can afford to move more slowly. Plus, he's got several simultaneous storylines happening, so he has to weave the beginnings of each before he can start drawing them together and suddenly BAM it's a mind-boggling tapestry of epic.

Trust me, just keep reading; it only gets better.  :bday:

Huzzah!

Edited by OneBoot
  • Like 1

Okay, you've convinced me. I'll pick it up again, probably start from the beginning and if I have to skim a few pages that I remember I'll do that. You are right about huge books like that being able to build slow as it is a brand new world without any kind of background to it and he has to establish time/place to everything and everyone before really being able to move the stories forward.

• Like 1

I just finished Way of Kings and I had the same issue - I loved Mistborn but Way of Kings first hundred or so pages was not grabbing me.

I gave it a chance though, and it picked me up pretty firmly well before the quarter-way point, and now I'm eager for the next part of the story.

Glad to hear that, after I'm done with my current series that I'm reading I'll hop back over to WoK and grind through that first part again.

• Like 1

Speaking of 1000 pages, I just finished the last book in Stephen Erickson's Malazan Book of the Fallen series after having put it down for almost a year... I highly recommend the series if you have a large amount of time on your hands, say, if you're serving life in prison, lol...

Edited by Mad Jack
  • Like 1

Speaking of 1000 pages, I just finished the last book in Stephen Erickson's Malazan Book of the Fallen series after having put it down for almost a year... I highly recommend the series if you have a large amount of time on your hands, say, if you're serving life in prison, lol...

I read six or seven of them on my last deployment.  So it was kinda like prison.

I just finished Neuromancer by William Gibson and am now on to Count Zero - it is sometimes amusing seeing the dated technobabble (the main character gets 3MB of RAM stolen from him by his girlfriend - what's that 1/2 an mp3 file? :lol: ) but the story is beautifully told and the way tension mounts in both the real world and cyberspace is very well handled.

• Like 1