dispatchdave

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I tried reading one of those at work. Put me right to sleep! (Don't tell my boss that though :ph34r: )

I love learning stuff. I've always wanted to know how combustion engines work in more than a general sense.

Then I find that the one page relevant to my current troubleshooting needs has been neatly removed with a razor blade. Which is probably why it was discarded from the library. Arg.

I needed something different, so I started reading The Aquitaine Progression by Ludlum. It's kind of interesting, enough to keep me reading; I'd like a bit more depth to it. It is chilling given that it was written in the 80s and is basically predicting the escalation of the War on Terror almost twenty years later.

Our (The US citizenry) tax dollars and illicit drug proceeds funded the Taliban and al Qaeda. And the CIA trained 'em. What's even more chilling is that 'the company' is spying on their congressional oversight committee, got called out on it publicly and are basically saying "yeah, so what are you gonna do about it" .  I wonder just how messed up things are gonna get in twenty more years.

Haven't read much in the way of a physical book in the last year, except for Massive Voodoo's Figure-Art Artbook. I need want to buy Cursed Monkey's Modeling. Stories in Miniature if I can find for sale in the states.

Recently picked up a Perry Mason novel off the bookshelf (sort of at random): The Case of the Curious Coquette. It turned out better than I thought it might; Perry Mason in the books is much more entertaining (and rogueish) than the TV version.

Also listening to Vorpatril's Alliance, by Lois McMaster Bujold (part of the Vorkosigan series). Typically excellent writing by Bujold, and the reader is doing an excellent job of capturing Ivan Vorpatril's personality.

Started Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson while getting my oil changed.  I picked up the trilogy a a library sale (dangerous place form me) a while back and discovered it in the pile of unread books.  I'm like a squirrel that way; stashing books away for a rainy day.  My wife does the same thing so we're running out of room.  She has more arts and crafts, cook books and end of the world books.  I need the kids to grow up and move out so I can take over their rooms.

"So this is the study?"

"No this is the library, the study is the other room in the house full of books."

http://www.girlswithslingshots.com/comic/gws-1809/

• Like 4

I tried reading one of those at work. Put me right to sleep! (Don't tell my boss that though :ph34r: )

I love learning stuff. I've always wanted to know how combustion engines work in more than a general sense.

Then I find that the one page relevant to my current troubleshooting needs has been neatly removed with a razor blade. Which is probably why it was discarded from the library. Arg.

Yeah, I find those interesting too. Just not work reading. Since work is in the middle of the night and I don't need an excuse to make me sleepy, haha.

Right now: National Geo for April 2014. There's a hadgehog on the cover :wub:

• Like 2

I've nearly finished The Diary of Jack the Ripper.

For years I'd been aware there was such a book but had dismissed it out of hand, believing it had been proven to be a fake.

Just goes to show you should question what you think you know on a regular basis. There's no evidence the book is a fake and a significant amount of evidence that its genuine. I'm now 95% sure James Maybrick was the Ripper. Don't take my word for it though, read the book and draw your own conclusions.