dispatchdave

A bargain bin copy of Guards Guards was actually how I discovered Terry Pratchett all those years ago.

Speaking of. Just finished reading The Bromeliad Trilogy, which had been sitting unread on my shelf for much too long because I knew it wasn't a Discworld novel. Too bad, cause it wasn't at all what I was expecting and I quite enjoyed it. Perfect for a light summer read.

Currently eyeing all the unread books on my shelf and trying to decide what should be next.

• Like 3

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

An excellent friend of mine loaned me his Leiber collection in High School, right after he got me addicted to the crack which is Tabletop RPGs. In college my best and longest friend bought me the first two of the White Wolf Lankhmar collections. Sadly they are out of print, and it's getting harder and harder to find them, so I still don't have that complete collection. It's a shame too, because the Mike Mignola cover illustrations were icing on an already delicious cake.

I really like Pratchett. I actually got started reading him because of a short story titled "The Sea and Little Fishes" that was in "Legends Volume 1." I think I bought it for the Terry Goodkind and Tad Williams shorts that were in it, but it ended up getting me hooked on Pratchett and George R. R. Martin (The Hedge Knight).

• Like 3

Up until this past weekend I had been reading through the Dresden Files. Picked up a few books a men's conference at church and am currently working my way through those. Once done I'll resume with Changes.

Good plan - Changes is excellent, chock full of 'What the Hell?' moments... my favourite Harry Dresden story so far!

• Like 1

A hundred years of solitude for my book club.

Yick. I read that... I think because it was on a list of "books you shuold read". It sucked. IMO. I have since decided that Literature, especially The Classics, should be chosen with Extreme Care.

Lately I've been reading the Myth series by Robert Asprin, though I've been stymied because my husband is missing one book. Apparently his ex-sister-in-law decided many years ago that if she couldn't have his complete series of the Myth books, no one could, and she ripped them up and threw them in the fire. She's a hateful person.

• Like 1

Up until this past weekend I had been reading through the Dresden Files. Picked up a few books a men's conference at church and am currently working my way through those. Once done I'll resume with Changes.

Good plan - Changes is excellent, chock full of 'What the Hell?' moments... my favourite Harry Dresden story so far!

It would be hard to say which is my favorite Dresden, the whole series is pretty righteous. I've also read his Codex Alera, and am eagerly awaiting his forthcoming steampunk series. He's one of the few authors for whom I will buy the book immediately upon release, and then very probably stay up all night until I finish it.

• Like 2

Yick. I read that... I think because it was on a list of "books you shuold read". It sucked. IMO. I have since decided that Literature, especially The Classics, should be chosen with Extreme Care.

Lately I've been reading the Myth series by Robert Asprin, though I've been stymied because my husband is missing one book. Apparently his ex-sister-in-law decided many years ago that if she couldn't have his complete series of the Myth books, no one could, and she ripped them up and threw them in the fire. She's a hateful person.

I'm hating the book. It's a tedious slog for me. And your hubby's ex wife sounds awful.

I'm hating the book. It's a tedious slog for me.

I've largely come to believe that life is too short to read books I dislike. This was a major shift for me, as I used to try to finish anything I started. But I have hundreds of books on my "to be read" bookcases (plural), so I'm much quicker to bail now than I used to be.

Oh, I'll try to give a book 50 or so pages before I dump it, but if it's slower starting than Dune, I'm unlikely ever to get to the part that isn't slow.

For a book club, my review would probably be of the form, "Page 54. That's when it became so dreadful I could read no longer. Let me recount the reasons."

• Like 1

The Myth series is fantastic, but the audiobooks narrators are a little terrible. Which book are you missing? I may have it somewhere (and I can keep an eye out for it otherwise).

-Dave

And and that lady is totally something I can't say here. Deciding that if she can't have them no one else can is wrong, but destroying a book is a travesty.

Edited by dispatchdave

I enjoyed the first half dozen MYTH books, then I pretty quickly lost interest.

@pcktlnt I have enjoyed a surprising number of YA novels. I have two teenage nieces, so they pretty regularly recommend me things to read. Some I enjoy, some are a bit to much like a how to guide for teen angst.

If any of you enjoy the steampunk/gothic horror style I recommend the Johannes Cabal books, though for some reason he seems to be waiting to release them in the US a year after they release in the UK.

Last night I picked up the most recent copy of "Traditional Bowhunter Magazine." It has a really good article on knapping arrowheads from glass, for any of you who are interested in that sort of thing. I also believe the gentleman who wrote the article has a Youtube video that parallels it.